Islands 6-20 Catalina

Jun 30, 2017
Vista ca
Name
Ryan Scarbrough
Boat
Skipjack 20
4C72CBA2-BDCF-4B47-B223-E2DA897E651D.jpeg
Late report sorry.My dad and I took our boat to Catalina for the first time on Sunday. Launched out of Dana went straight to Avalon. Fished all the way up to two harbors. It was mostly about just doing the trip for the first time but we also fished hard and did our best. Most of the front side seemed to lack current and the fish were not biting. We managed to score a couple decent Bonita on the tide change under some birds. Lots of meter marks and clean calm water. Definitely enjoyed the trip and we will be back. Does anybody have island advice fora total noob? Spots, time of year, front side vs back side, whatever you can offer would be really helpful. Thanks I’m advance! Tight lines!

04681245-4485-4E7D-83BF-9268AB348722.jpeg

B33CF00C-9DF9-4410-B967-7079D6CBC9E4.png

BC86673F-5F6A-4674-BC1D-553957C0C7FE.jpeg

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Nice job! Better than being at the office.

Reactions: Ryan Scarbrough
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Congrats on your first crossing. Tips for Catalina:
    1. Stay overnight if you can. More fishing time and you can come back in the morning with less wind. With your cuddy, should be no problem.
    2. If you have to return in the afternoon, do so from the Isthmus. Most of the time you'll be riding with the wind/swell.
    3. This time of year, be on the backside east before day break, setting up drifts over the squid grounds, 80 to 100 feet of water.
    4. Slow troll sardines/mackies outside kelp areas to find fish. It's a great way to find yellows after the morning bite is over.
    5. Learn how to anchor up properly, use a claw style anchor a couple sizes bigger than recommended. For example, on my 18 foot cuddy I use a 16 pounder, with 25 foot of chain. Generally, anchor up current from kelp edges.
    6. Catalina can be tough for anyone. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy the view!
    7. Get Mark Wisch's book "In the Gray". Great tips and numbers.

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    View attachment 1292469Late report sorry.My dad and I took our boat to Catalina for the first time on Sunday. Launched out of Dana went straight to Avalon. Fished all the way up to two harbors. It was mostly about just doing the trip for the first time but we also fished hard and did our best. Most of the front side seemed to lack current and the fish were not biting. We managed to score a couple decent Bonita on the tide change under some birds. Lots of meter marks and clean calm water. Definitely enjoyed the trip and we will be back. Does anybody have island advice fora total noob? Spots, time of year, front side vs back side, whatever you can offer would be really helpful. Thanks I’m advance! Tight lines!

View attachment 1292470

View attachment 1292471

View attachment 1292472
    Look like you had some fun, on lite gear! Great job! 👍

Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Name
    FishingFiend
    Boat
    Cayman 226
    This year, Catalina is already off to a slow start compared to last year. Like most fisheries, it's going to take quite a bit of time exploring and learning where and how to fish the island.

I would suggest you start with Mark's book,, In the Gray. There are hundreds of spots noted in the book and tips on how to fish each spot. If you're at the shop, have Mark sign it.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report and Pics Ryan. Glad you and dad had a fun trip. Things change with MPLA zones now. Used to be OFF Long Point is a good spot, then after lunch hang a right past the YMCA camp to in front of the Girl Scout Camp....Many times wide open Yellowtail in the PM. It's fishing, no guarantees but some nice spots to anchor in that area too. GL

Last edited:
    mhanson59hb
    mhanson59hb
    Goat Harbor is definitely within the MLPA between Long Point and Gibraltar. You can tell if you are there because a blue boat is half buried in the sand. Do not fish there. Maybe you're referring Whites Landing east of LP?

Pro tip: Don't fish Lovers Cove just east of Avalon, either. :D
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Yeah I forgot most of Goat Harbor no doubt an MPLA zone now. Yeah WHITES was the spot for yellows.
    Sure wasn't when I went to YMCA Camp age 10 diving there. LOL

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Great Report and Pics Ryan. Glad you and dad had a fun trip. Things change with MPLA zones now. Used to be OFF Long Point is a good spot, then after lunch hang a right past the YMCA camp to in front of the Girl Scout Camp....Many times wide open Yellowtail in the PM. It's fishing, no guarantees but some nice spots to anchor in that area too. GL
    @Tunahead Are you talking about basically east of Long point, like White Cove and Moonstone and Torqua Springs? Or are you talking about way west end, like down by Johnsons Landing/Eagle Reef, etc? There are so many dang camps on Catalina, I get confused by camp names but understand cove names a little better. Appreciate all the help!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    @Tunahead Are you talking about basically east of Long point, like White Cove and Moonstone and Torqua Springs? Or are you talking about way west end, like down by Johnsons Landing/Eagle Reef, etc? There are so many dang camps on Catalina, I get confused by camp names but understand cove names a little better. Appreciate all the help!
    HA....Isn't White's where there's 3-4 houses above the beach? I went to Camp Fox to the left of Long Point a couple times when young...the Girl Scout Camp was next towards Avalon, then I believe NHYC's cove, and others. HERE is a great list and tips on the Catalina Frontside on Charkbait's Web site for all to read. LOL 60yrs fishing, know by sight.

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    mhanson59hb
    mhanson59hb
    Basically from Avalon west:
    Descanso bay
    Hamilton cove - the white condos
    Frog Rock
    Gallagher's - first camp
    Toyon bay - second camp
    K20
    Moonstone
    Whites Landing
    Hen Rock
    Button Shell - 3rd camp
    Long Point
    MPLA West of LP to Gibraltar
    Red Rock
    Rippers cove
    Empire Landing
    MLPA Yellowtail point to Blue Caverns, including Big Fisherman's cove.
    Two Harbors
    Etc., You get the picture.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    HA....Isn't White's where there's 3-4 houses above the beach? I went to Camp Fox to the left of Long Point a couple times when young...the Girl Scout Camp was next towards Avalon, then I believe NHYC's cove, and others. HERE is a great list and tips on the Catalina Frontside on Charkbait's Web site for all to read. LOL 60yrs fishing, know by sight.

Right on, nothing better than knowing the place by sight. Forget the maps! Appreciate the reply, I'll check it out. Fished the island quite a few times, but not a seasoned veteran like you!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Catalina is an amazing fishery. The amount of pressure put on it over a whole lot of years, but it continues to produce.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I have never been skunked on backside Church Rock.

It's just past the southern tip of the island. You will mark crazy amounts of fish there. Only depends on what you can get them to bite.

Be careful getting too close to the rocks.

Upvote 0