PENN

Sidekick10

• Sep 2, 2016
    San diego
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Robalo 2120
    Left shelter Island boat launch around 830am with fishing partner, parking lot was 95% full with trailers, went to bait barge and got a scoop of big size sardines, thought they had anchovies since that’s what was posted on Facebook. Made about 15 mackerel and headed to the zone “371” based on FishDope, Bloody decks and good fish counts this was the area I was looking to fish. Got to the spot south east of Tuna Pens and saw the fleet around 11am pulled up on a kelp and fly lined sardines / Mack’s, sinker rigged sardines / Mack’s, I was using 30lb flouro for the sardines and 60lb flouro for the Mack’s. Kelp was empty, pulled up on mission belles starboard beam about 300-500 yards and maintained my distance not in their chum line saw them bent the whole time with 3-7 fish going, stayed there for like 30 minutes and had to make a move since I wasn’t getting bit, I did see a center console off their bow pull up a nice big BFT, made the move and saw Point Loma fishing boat about 1/2 mile down and set up off the beam 300-500 yards saw them bent as well time was 1pm, I had the fly line sardines / Mack’s and sinker Rigs staggered out, with the clickers on. After about a 15 minute soak I hear the clicker start running and it’s the fly line mackerel going off and we’re on, long story short 1hr 15 min later we got it at color. And on deck. My first BFT, thanks to bloody decks, local knowledge, fish dope and Point Loma sport fishing for putting me on the fish. Dumped half the tank after and saw BFT boiling around the boat, left right after since that is the biggest fish I ever caught and was totally satisfied along with my fishing partner.

BlueFin Tuna: 57” fork length, weight 113lbs
    Gear:
    Rod: calstar gfgr 30-80
    Reel: Speed master 25ii 100lb braid / 50 yards top shot 60lb mono izorline / 60lb diawa j-flouro
    Hook: owner mutu circle ringed 2/0
    Bait: live big mackerel nose hooked flyline 100 yards out in gear with clicker on

Good luck out there and go get them!

297F0F1B-3527-4D8C-9133-604A645B3E28.jpeg

EDF0CFB8-38B5-45A0-9852-A8F9B2C7EE68.jpeg

Sidekick10

• Sep 2, 2016
    San diego
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Robalo 2120
    Congratulations on your first it must have been the longest 75 minutes you can remember that's a tough haul solo. It will only get better keep the reports coming.

Thanks!
    Thank you, and Yes definitely, didn’t realize I had a 2 speed low gear until about 30 min in the fight due to adrenaline and focused, utilized that for the remaining 45 min, the fish was hooked in the corner of the mouth, after I checked the hook line the flouro had teeth marks on it a few inches above the hook scratched up, these bluefin have sharp teeth. I am lucky to be here talking about the nice big bluefin and being able to land it.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Definitely a great adventure to catch your first tuna, and a slug at that! Now if you could just find us some of the mythical albacore!
    Congrats!

Reactions: Sidekick10
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Left shelter Island boat launch around 830am with fishing partner, parking lot was 95% full with trailers, went to bait barge and got a scoop of big size sardines, thought they had anchovies since that’s what was posted on Facebook. Made about 15 mackerel and headed to the zone “371” based on FishDope, Bloody decks and good fish counts this was the area I was looking to fish. Got to the spot south east of Tuna Pens and saw the fleet around 11am pulled up on a kelp and fly lined sardines / Mack’s, sinker rigged sardines / Mack’s, I was using 30lb flouro for the sardines and 60lb flouro for the Mack’s. Kelp was empty, pulled up on mission belles starboard beam about 300-500 yards and maintained my distance not in their chum line saw them bent the whole time with 3-7 fish going, stayed there for like 30 minutes and had to make a move since I wasn’t getting bit, I did see a center console off their bow pull up a nice big BFT, made the move and saw Point Loma fishing boat about 1/2 mile down and set up off the beam 300-500 yards saw them bent as well time was 1pm, I had the fly line sardines / Mack’s and sinker Rigs staggered out, with the clickers on. After about a 15 minute soak I hear the clicker start running and it’s the fly line mackerel going off and we’re on, long story short 1hr 15 min later we got it at color. And on deck. My first BFT, thanks to bloody decks, local knowledge, fish dope and Point Loma sport fishing for putting me on the fish. Dumped half the tank after and saw BFT boiling around the boat, left right after since that is the biggest fish I ever caught and was totally satisfied along with my fishing partner.

BlueFin Tuna: 57” fork length, weight 113lbs
    Gear:
    Rod: calstar gfgr 30-80
    Reel: Speed master 25ii 100lb braid / 50 yards top shot 60lb mono izorline / 60lb diawa j-flouro
    Hook: owner mutu circle ringed 2/0
    Bait: live big mackerel nose hooked flyline 100 yards out in gear with clicker on

Good luck out there and go get them!

View attachment 1291942

View attachment 1291943
    Double Wow! Thank you for all the info, too! 👍👍

Reactions: Sidekick10
    Upvote 0