6/16 WestSide Fun

Lockin

May 24, 2012
Honolulu
Name
Jesse
Boat
Arima 19 "mollie"
A friend of mine Graham visiting from Canada wanted to go fishing so we made plans for tuesday. The plan was to go Westside hunting and hopefully get some yellow guys. Started off pretty slow. Found some Porpoise near the pinnacle. Played with them for a while with no joy. Turned inside and found some birds holding Mahi. Graham was really stoked as he had never fished Mahi before. Happy that the pressure was off decided to keep heading inside and run the 500 by S. As we headed in we sent out a new lure that Graham had put together the previous night(his first skirted lure assembly). About 1/2 mile from S new lucky lure slams down and after a good battle incl a broken pole Graham lands another first - 300lbs Blue Marlin.

EDIT: dooh! just saw wrong date should say 6/18
Tight lines.

DSC02081.jpg

Slow Poke

SeaKhunt
Jun 6, 2010
Kailua, HI.
Name
Jeff
Boat
21' Kencraft
Good going Jesse! I think that same marlin played with our lure for awhile in the same area. Check its stomach contents and see if you find a 7" blue/pink skirt in there....i'd like it back. lol

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Hey Jesse, sounds like an awesome day! Too bad about the pole, but you landed the fish! It's always an great feeling when you take a friend fishing and you hook up! Memories of a lifetime!

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Jesse and Graham, good going on the blue. Too bad on the broken pole but that can be replaced. Looks like was pretty windy from the pic.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Jesse,
Congrats on your blue marlin! Sorry to hear about your broken pole....main thing you got the fish and never lose anything like a reel, lure or fish!Your friend will remember that day forever!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Jesse and Graham,

Good goin on the mahis, dealing w/ a broken pole and getting a nice Kajiki... SWEET. Sounds like Graham has a good eye at riggin' up a lure.

Cheers
Pat

Lockin

May 24, 2012
Honolulu
Name
Jesse
Boat
Arima 19 "mollie"
Sounds like an awesome day, way to go!
Cheers Jeff it was a great day for sure.

Good going Jesse! I think that same marlin played with our lure for awhile in the same area. Check its stomach contents and see if you find a 7" blue/pink skirt in there....i'd like it back. lol
Didnt find any lures in there. Sorry :)

Hey Jesse, sounds like an awesome day! Too bad about the pole, but you landed the fish! It's always an great feeling when you take a friend fishing and you hook up! Memories of a lifetime!
Thanks Jason. Grahams still on a high from the experience. Im sure his family and friends will be hearing the story for a while yet. :)

Jesse and Graham, good going on the blue. Too bad on the broken pole but that can be replaced. Looks like was pretty windy from the pic.
Thanks Darren. Not too worried about the pole it was an older one that came with the boat ->might not be saying that if we had lost the fish too ;) Palms dont lie it was windy. Pretty bumpy conditions on the outside in my little boat. Would be nice if it calmed down for a few days.

Jesse,
Congrats on your blue marlin! Sorry to hear about your broken pole....main thing you got the fish and never lose anything like a reel, lure or fish!Your friend will remember that day forever!
Thanks Russell. It was a close one. We got lucky. The pole broke near the boat so we were able to keep it tight and get to the leader fast. Seems like the fish was pretty much spent right after the break also. Had it happened at any other time in the fight I dont think our chances would have been good. Also Graham was a natural with a perfect gaff shot after only Mahi practice.

Jesse and Graham,

Good goin on the mahis, dealing w/ a broken pole and getting a nice Kajiki... SWEET. Sounds like Graham has a good eye at riggin' up a lure.

Cheers
Pat
Mahalo Pat. Really pleased with the result. The lure was an impulse buy from 5O7C after returning to pick up my lost cell phone(long story - thanks Lois for picking it up). It was a JSI Blue jetted slant. Graham skirted it with blue salmon outer with black orange inner. no influence from me. As I mention in reply to Russ we were very lucky inaddition to broken pole the leader was pretty badly raked by the bill.

Lockin

May 24, 2012
Honolulu
Name
Jesse
Boat
Arima 19 "mollie"
Wow thats great Michael.
Graham headed hometo Vancouver last night i'll be sure to pass on the link.
Mahalo!
Jesse