Inshore 6/15 mission beach to point loma

fredycruz

Aug 7, 2012
San Diego
Name
alfredo
Boat
none
Took my buddy out in the chop since he was visiting from Idaho. First spot we catch a few legal sheepshead and large whitefish. With in minutes the Dolphin half day boat shows up, and anchors with in 40ft of us. Who ever was running the boat yesterday is a *****. I couldnt get back on the spot with out getting too close. I knew they'd swing on the anchor I'd be too close. Which they did a few times. It's a 85ft vessel, it swings a big arc and that ass hat knows it.

We head towards point loma fishing the edge of the drop off. Find a big school and finished the day drifting them. Steady pick of rock fish. My buddy caught his first black seabass. Very young at maybe 25lbs but it worked him over. Lol lots of short bites on halibut. Switched up to a trap rig and kid you not, some how my bait is raked and my trap hook is in the head of the sardine.

Fished the same area sunday morning. Metered several groups of yellow tail. Had a big mack on for lings, got to drop on one group and had one come up to meet my bait but darted back down with out a bite. Didnt see any yt yesterday.

Last edited:

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Don't you know sport boats own the deed to every spot in the ocean. Imagine the total outrage/crying if you would have dropped the hook 40 feet next to him. Caps head would've exploded. These.Fuckin.Guys.:hali_parkutuli:🤯

Anyway, thanks for the report!

Reactions: Reel hip and flytie
    F
    fredycruz
    Yep. If I had pulled up that close to them they'd have chewed me out
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

leocrazy

Sep 30, 2008
    Temecula
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    None right now, sucks, got my kayak though.
    Not saying what the dolphin did was right but considering you were drifting its not completely wrong. If you were anchored that would be messed up. Also if you were bottom fishing its not really an issue of tangling lines.

F
    fredycruz
    I was anchored. I had to pull my anchor when I saw them drop. I used to fish that boat all the time. I knew it was going to swing my way. I had to get out of the way.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    I would have let it swing right into me. They have a lot more to lose than you do...their licence. We had a dive boat come in behind us once as we were setting anchor and dropped theirs maybe 100ft from our stern as we were backing down. I'm up on the bow and I yell loud enough for the deckhands to hear, "Back up right towards their anchor line!". They start yelling "NO" and waving their arms. My reply...."YEP, right towards it!" LOL, they pulled up quick and moved on...

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Unfortunately this is an everyday or weekend event. I have been anchored and had party boats show up and anchor pretty damn close.

to me if it's slow I'll move on. If I'm catching I'll stay The captain knows he was 2nd there.
    If my jig hits their boat or their passenger's jig hits my boat. THEN it gets ugly.

but why stress until that happens

Upvote 0