fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
Had some family come down from Colorado, a couple of the kids really wanted to go fishing. So naturally I agreed to take them. Initially it was 2 nephews (13 and 8) and my cousins husband, then 2 of the girls wanted to go 12 years old, and then my cousin wanted to join also. So with a full boat of 7 people we launched davies around 7 -730 swung over to nachos and got a pass of squid, I figured if anything the kids would dig playing with the squid. Knowing that I had alot of people on the boat running any distance, at any speed for that matter wasn't really an option. And not really knowing anything about local LB waters. I opted to just fish the izors area (Thanks to responding members on my other post) weather was very pleasant all day, a light breeze and no swell to speak of. There seemed to be alot of boats hanging around the Izors area, So I was pretty confident that we would get a decent pick through out the day, but despite bouncing all over the reef and surrounding areas, the bite was proving to be extremely slow for us. We fished plastics of different sizes and colors, dropper loops with strip and or live squid , reverse dropper loop, live squid on a lead head, any way I could think to fish bass, and no matter how much fish I was seeing on the meter,
I just couldn't get them to bite. Somewhere around 1 o'clock or so we had 1 short sanbass , and probably a dozen little mackerel between the group. Needless to say I was chomping at the bit, getting really frustrated that I couldn't buy a fucking fish for a boat full of people. Despite that being my standpoint thus far, the kids where having a blast , just being on the water and playing with the squid. I made the call to go try inside the bay for a while before we called it a day. Made the slow run back to the bay and set up a drift, by the time we made it back in the breeze had pickup a bit, still not bad at all we drifted at about 1 knt. Same story on the inside try it all to no avail, then bottom of the ninth about to call it a day, my 13 year old nephew, the one who really wanted to go fishing, gets bit on the lead head with live sqiud, my lexa 300 starts screaming, 20lb fluoro over spectra, at first I was positive it was a ray, then it came up top I seen the tail slap on the water and knew what it was. After almost spooling him, he got it closer to the boat and we all got a good look at it, and everyone was hooting and hollering because they'd never seen a shark , earlier in the day one of the girls had asked about catching a shark, I told her there was definitely a possibility of it happening. After gaining the line back, I quietly suggested that that he let his siblings pull on the fish for a minute or two, so that they could feel it, he kind of side eyed me and reluctantly did so. Everyone on board got a chance to pull on the biggest fish they'd ever seen, and for me it was a god send. I really needed that fish to sacrifice itself, I don't often kill them, but this one got a gaff, and 8 kids and 5 adults had dinner , with several steaks going into the freezer for the trip back to Colorado.
Then when we got back to the house, the remaining 4 little kids just couldn't restrain themselves from playing with left over squid in the bait tank. That shit was funny.

All in all a great day with family that I've never really known or met. And what I'm sure will be a life-long memory for a 13 year old boy from Colorado

IMG_20210612_223140_745.jpg

IMG_20210612_223140_775.jpg

IMG_20210612_223140_806.jpg

20210613_1038501.jpg

Last edited:

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
badass. You should get to know them Colorado boys abs girls! Awesome fishing and great hunting out there.
I’m grateful for my family out there showing me the in roads on the hunting out there. Abs the west coast fishing option is open for them 12 months a year!
Bad ass, good eats. Tribal shit right there. Nice work.
I always say, “it just takes one fosh.”

Reactions: fly liner
Upvote 0

fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
Baby thresher shark saves the day! Like I said when you asked for ideas, staying inside the LB breakwater is the best option for introducing inlanders to salt water. Thanks for the report!
I highly considered staying inside. They wanted to Cruz around , hoped to see some dolphin but that didn't happen

Reactions: surfgoose
Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Rad story. That’s some good eats. There’s so much meat. I even fillet out and skin the stomach cavity of the fillet for kabobs, that one might have been too skinny.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Awesome bottom of the 9th fish all got to wind on. HEY big enough for dinner for all and some back to Colorado..
    Might have been hard to revive anyway.
    KID'S smiles say it all...they'll be telling Shark stories for years. LOL

Upvote 0