PENN

IVHunter

Jul 30, 2008
San Diego/CA
Name
Chris
Boat
none
Ran to the Islands Saturday morning and found the USCG at the scene of a Parker pilothouse on the rocks near the lobster shack on North Isl. Anyone know the story? Hope everyone's ok, and they can salvage that great-looking boat.

Water temp and clarity dropped at North and Middle Grounds. South was better, SKR best. The Islands are loaded with barracuda and smallish bass. Bonito and Yellows were no-shows, at least for us.

IMG_0772.jpg

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    That seems to be a popular spot for the meet n greet, my friends were freediving a number of years ago, and a 40' boat was sunk right there. They dove in and got car keys and wallet off the dash inside. Probably set 180 degrees in and fell asleep. I wonder if they will sell the motors?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    BUMMER....often the cost of Anchoring too close, falling asleep.
    Hope all onboard were OK. News at 11. LOL

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    At least he did not run "accidently" into a cave at sunset cliffs! I would guess the motors have been sold in mexico already.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    How was the sea out there yesterday? For the crossing? It looked sketch at 4'/5' at 7 seconds. Was it actually that bad?

Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    How was the sea out there yesterday? For the crossing? It looked sketch at 4'/5' at 7 seconds. Was it actually that bad?
    No, I was on the Liberty. I thought it was a nice day... I think 3’ to 4’ but mostly 3’ it seems. The Parker shouldn’t have a problem of that magnitude.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    No, I was on the Liberty. I thought it was a nice day... I think 3’ to 4’ but mostly 3’ it seems. The Parker shouldn’t have a problem of that magnitude.
    The liberty is 85' long. The seas yesterday got up to 4.8' at 6.6 seconds and 4' at 7'seconds the rest of the day.... in a 20'-24' those seas are a very different thing to handle.. those are brutal conditions. But not for the liberty!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The liberty is 85' long. The seas yesterday got up to 4.8' at 6.6 seconds and 4' at 7'seconds the rest of the day.... in a 20'-24' those seas are a very different thing to handle.. those are brutal conditions. But not for the liberty!
    SMYLEE,
    I was thinking that as I wrote the response! On the other hand I was out on a Parker last year about March in much worse conditions than last Saturday. I must admit two of the four ( family members ) had a barfathon. I must admit I got a little queasy as well. Though it was rough I was never in doubt that the boat couldn't handle it. The Liberty was a smoooth ride as you suggest. See the photo taken during the ride in about 6 pm or so. The day before the weather was up and trending down so I am not sure when that wreck happened.

1EC9A98B-7902-4B91-8B44-12F39905FBC1.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

IVHunter

Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego/CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    none
    SMYLEE,
    I was thinking that as I wrote the response! On the other hand I was out on a Parker last year about March in much worse conditions than last Saturday. I must admit two of the four ( family members ) had a barfathon. I must admit I got a little queasy as well. Though it was rough I was never in doubt that the boat couldn't handle it. The Liberty was a smoooth ride as you suggest. See the photo taken during the ride in about 6 pm or so. The day before the weather was up and trending down so I am not sure when that wreck happened.

View attachment 1289721
    Great ride home on my 21’…uncomfortable on the way out, but still manageable. Doubt sea state had anything to do with the Parker’s trouble.

Upvote 0

Sea Bacon

• Aug 24, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    21’ Parker CC
    Saw it there on Monday. Surprised the Mexicans didn't strip it for it's engine, tower, and all fishing gear that was still on it.

I remember 2 years ago when a boat was beached at the islands, the mexicans didn't hesitate to tow the beached boat to their cove in the south island. "Finders keepers."

Reactions: Low N Slow