Catcher of fish, releaser of few!
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
www.calcofi.org
Name
David Mcgyver
Boat
17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
Went 33 miles So-Southwest in my Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag looking for the blue fin tuna. My buddy Max popped one on my Okuma NTS-S 1004MH 10 foot surf casting and a Penn Spinfisher 6500 filled with 65 lbs braid, 50 lbs Izor leader, Halco blue and silver popper. Fish was hooked inside the mouth on the middle treble and put up a hell of a fight on that tackle. We were really stoked to have such a beautiful fish on the Hag, especially after missing the first gaff which pissed the fish off badly. After bloodying the decks we tried for while more, had another fish visibly follow and try for the popper but not enough for some love. Worked our way past Pukey Pt. for a medium-small grade yellow who ate a mac and called it a day. 12 hours is enough in a small boat. Seared some toro on the grill, sorry no pictures of the table fare but you gotta love the coagulated bloody deck carpet. It is now a stain to be cherished! Go get some!

Popper Bluefin Sea Hag shot.jpg P6030040.JPG 55lbs popper BFT.jpg

55lbs popper BFT.jpg P6030040.JPG Popper Bluefin Sea Hag shot.jpg

gnehekul

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I never thought about my surf casting rod to throw poppers until this post. Thanks for the idea

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Nice, That's why we do what we do. . . .

Beautiful fish!

A Good Day on the Sea Hag!!

Reactions: Mcgyver