USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
With 30' of rope and three stands of rope on the top? You gonna slide it in the side on a swing . . . good luck! Think a YT is gonna lay there possum on the voyage upward?
Such a noob. You’ve never seen a deep net?

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
My hat is off to that guy. Catch of a lifetime. Having got rocked last week I know it’s not easy to land that monster

Reactions: Blackfish

theredman

Mar 22, 2007
Pismo Beach
Name
Steve merino
Boat
2016 Ranger Bay 2510
Back in ‘87 seen A hammerhead of off pismo pier. Threw A chrome crocodile at him. He just turned and swam away. I think it was elnino cause we catching big bonito then.

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
wow-what a toad.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Great catch! When we hosted the Crystal Pier kids derby last month, their was a small group of young dedicated anglers that that target those things off the pier. One of the kids whipped out his phone and showed me all the huge yellows he caught there last year, topped by a 43 lb pig. They wait for them at the end of the pier with the appropriate gear and wait for the yellows to attack the sardine schools at the end of the pier. Sure enough while we were there, one of those mossbacks attacked a school of sardines that was swimming off the pier. (Quite a show for all the kids watching from above.) Those kids went to work throwing their Lucky Craft Pointers with a small torpedo for weight tied in line for casting distance. They did not connect that day with that mossback, but they sure tried. They carry a pier gaff with them for the lucky days when they do connect. Pretty impressive group of young anglers that are locked into that fishery!

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Great catch! When we hosted the Crystal Pier kids derby last month, their was a small group of young dedicated anglers that that target those things off the pier. One of the kids whipped out his phone and showed me all the huge yellows he caught there last year, topped by a 43 lb pig. They wait for them at the end of the pier with the appropriate gear and wait for the yellows to attack the sardine schools at the end of the pier. Sure enough while we were there, one of those mossbacks attacked a school of sardines that was swimming off the pier. (Quite a show for all the kids watching from above.) Those kids went to work throwing their Lucky Craft Pointers with a small torpedo for weight tied in line for casting distance. They did not connect that day with that mossback, but they sure tried. They carry a pier gaff with them for the lucky days when they do connect. Pretty impressive group of young anglers that are locked into that fishery!
Just about anyplace u go there is a very small % of guys that are dialed in to that spot...
Every pier,jetty,beach,lake,pond,stream has just a few guys that are killin it while most are just wishin...
Anyone who was around during the halibut heyday in Santa Monica bay and fished a pier has seen rope gaffs and landing nets used often generally by the same 4 or 5 guys daily...
Then at night the shark guys would show up and literally stack up sharks and rays using rope gaffs to land em..
Have seen em bring a truck onto Venice pier way back when to haul up giant rays they couldn't lift by hand...

Reactions: mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Thats. Just. Amazing. :eek:

30 pounders take me to the wood shed in a boat! How the heck do you keep that brute out of the piling?

Superbad!

lowprofile

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Truly a "fish of a lifetime" for a pier fisherman. Wow.

wondering how healthy it was......and why it would be in there that tight to the beach........inquiring minds and all that.

Still a pig! Congrats to the angler.
Dude, they hang out right under scrips pier... it’s perfectly normal

Seabass 5300

Jan 27, 2019
Inglewood
Name
Bryan
Boat
None
Best thing I have heard for a long time.you gotta believe!

Reactions: bloodfart

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Such a noob. You’ve never seen a deep net?
Oh I forgot, with Parker comes privilege. Privilege to insult people you don't know and call them a noob.

You said lobster net.

None of you started by pier fishing? .

Lobster net will land those fish
BTW; I lived at the piers fishing in summer when I was a kid. Rode a bike 4 miles in the dark to get there and fished all day. Yes, I saw the big net come out every so often, sure wasn't a Lobster net.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
In 1983 at Aliso Viejo pier a 49# and a 46# both caught by two twin brothers and in the paper it had the picture twins catch twins!! The big fish know the snack stand. They swim by n grab a snack. They break you off all the time. I had a friend catch a 8# ur in the harbor in DP. Fun stuff.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
I've dropped a rod with a yt on it to a buddy on a sponge then ran around to bring it in from the S side. Helps to have low tide and no big surf :D

F.I.S.H.Y

SpottieSlayer
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Truly a "fish of a lifetime" for a pier fisherman. Wow.

wondering how healthy it was......and why it would be in there that tight to the beach........inquiring minds and all that.

Still a pig! Congrats to the angler.
Actually we go to crystal Peir all the time and that guy caught like 4yt this year off their. All were over 40#. We have seen like 5 of them but they usually leave before we get out live bait rigged. We have yet to catch one of those beasts!

Reactions: ZZZZZ