5 year old kills 400+ lb bear

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by Saluki, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

5-year-old descendant of Davy Crockett kills bear
    Tre Merrit bags 445-pound black bear while hunting with grandfather
    By Heather Crawford
    Courtesy of KATV/Little Rock
    DEWITT, Ark. — A 5-year-old Arkansas County boy killed a black bear Sunday weighing more than 400 pounds.

Tre Merritt, a descendant of Davy Crockett, was hunting with his grandfather Mike Merritt when a black bear happened upon their stand.

"His 10th great-grandfather was Davy Crockett," Mike Merritt said. "And Davy supposedly killed him a bear when he was three. And Tre is five and really killed a bear. I really doubt if Davy killed one when he was three."

Mike Merritt was in the stand at the time but said Tre did it all by himself.

"He came in about 40 to 50 yards," Mike Merritt said of the black bear, "and when he got in the open, I whistled at him and he stopped and I said, 'Shoot Tre.'"

Tre confirmed his grandfather's account.

"I was up in the stand and I seen the bear," Tre Merritt said. "It came from the thicket and it was beside the road and I shot it."

At first, Mike Merritt didn't think Tre had hit the bear with his youth rifle.

"I said, 'Tre, you missed the bear,' " Mike Merritt said. "He said, 'Paw-paw I squeezed the trigger and I didn't close my eyes. I killed him."'

The bear turned out to be 445 pounds — 12 times the weight of Tre. Mike Merritt said tears rolled down his cheeks when he found out his grandson killed the enormous bear.

Tre Merritt's father said he began teaching his son to shoot when he was just 2 ½ years old, and said Tre killed three deer last year.

The family plans to get a life-sized mount of the bear, but where they will put has yet to be determined.

DeWitt is in rural eastern Arkansas, close to the Mississippi River bottoms and near Stuttgart, the Duck Hunting Capitol of the World.

Davy Crockett was a celebrated 19th-century American folk hero, frontiersman, soldier and politician; usually referred to as "King of the Wild Frontier". He represented Tennessee in the U.S. House of Representatives, served in the Texas Revolution, and died at the age of 49 at the Battle of the Alamo.

Crockett passed through Arkansas on his way from Tennessee to Texas in 1835. While at a Little Rock (Pulaski County) banquet given in his honor, he reportedly stated, "If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansas, where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth but just around the backbone of North America."

Robert Crockett, one of Davy Crockett's grandsons, became the first mayor of Stuttgart (Arkansas County) after the town incorporated in 1889. The village of Crockett's Bluff (Arkansas County) was named in honor of Robert Crockett.

God bless the little guy.

2. omartish

omartish Newbie

Name:
    Omartish
    Boat:
    none
    That is awesome. I surprised they air that, with all of the tree huggers in this country.

3. Firebird

Firebird Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    19' Boston Whaler KB Lynne
    I hope my little guy will be that bad-ass when he's 5....or any other age for that matter.

4. joedirt_oef04

joedirt_oef04 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    16 ft SeaArk
    Well they did Air it in my home state of Arkansas......I had a grad class of only 14.. 280 K-12th in the entire school... the school would let out for 5 days for opening day of gun season for deer. Damn I miss home

5. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    with all due respect, sitting in a tree stand and shooting a black bear with a rifle from 30 yds dosent really fall into the bad ass catergory.

6. FullFlavorNC

FullFlavorNC Newbie

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    Johnboat
    So, a five year-old sits in a tree and shoots a gun. Big deal. Now if he had landed a 10lb largemouth with a rod & reel strung with 8lb test by himself, THAT would be a story! His 5 minutes are up. NEXT?

7. Deno

Deno NO SHENANIGANS....

Name:
    DENO
    Boat:
    23 CC SEA PRO "BITE THIS"
    Theres no tree huggers in Arkansas.

8. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Lighten up.
    I think it's tougher to shoot one at 30 than one at 300. There's a difference between hunting and shooting. I've shot bears and it's a little harry when something you are hunting can kill you.

Comparing a 10lb bass on 8lb test??? mmmmmmk:imdumb:

No different than hunting on private land or where there a shitload of animals and they are not that wary. All you have to do is show up and it's a gimme.

What was the gun? I'm surprised he could lift/control a gun at that age....youth model or not.

9. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Yeah let’s pile on a 5 year old kid who went hunting with grandpa and managed to dump a big old bear. Ragging on 5 year olds now that’s real sporting.

10. YANK N CRANK #2

YANK N CRANK #2 Proud Wyoming Resident

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
    Saw it on abc 7 tonight.. Can't believe the liberal bastards aired it...

11. speedgoat

speedgoat Green Bastard

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    S/V Grunion
    Homosezwhat?

12. Firebird

Firebird Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    19' Boston Whaler KB Lynne

No, I guess you're right.
    Richard Simmons in your avatar, now that's bad-ass!

13. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    His Dad was on Scott and BR this morning. pretty Cool......

14. SALTYDAWG

SALTYDAWG Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sold it
    What a great idea, My grandson is coming to stay with me for a couple weeks and I've been wondering what we can do together. I think I'll take him bear hunting:imdumb: LOL

15. joedirt_oef04

joedirt_oef04 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    16 ft SeaArk

how many 400+ lbs black bear have you shot? This kid is out hunting when most kids his age are still sucking on crayons and licking glue sticks. That kid dose fall into the BAD ASS CATERGORY. :finger:

16. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    he dose? dose with what?

no one is ragging on the kid, just seems like a little too much hoopla for the event.