Offshore 5 straight nights ,new lo an 7/1 7/3 p queen 7/3 7/6

PENN

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
I came in from Utah to experience my first off shore trips,fished the new lo an 1/2 day7/1 7/3.I got 2 yellow fin and 2 yellow tail 3 on megabait 1 on bait.very impressed with Marcus as a captain,he is very methodical ,uses his sonar a lot to check kelp for fish many times does not even stop on small kelp,very efficient guy who puts the odds in his flavor.I mainly fished from the front of the boat with megabits ,until the last hour or so he pulled up on big kelp.he is a surgeon,,very efficient.i got off that boat and went straight on Pq on 2 and a1/2 day Fourth of July special with my wife.first day I caught 4 yellowfin and one yellow tail on megabits,my wife caught 1 yellowfin and 2 yellowtail,great start.day 2 we both got shut out,it was almost all trolling the whole day not much kelp fishing.in my opinion Drew had caught good numbers of yellowfin on the troll in previous trips and he said he was seeing a lot,but they never came on like wanted. 80 or ninety percent of the time was spent trolling.both crews were good my favorite deckhands were a young blonde kid on new lo an,and Austin on Pq that kid is a talent and great personality.I spent 3 days trolling without a bite and came to this conclusion,the stock boat baits are not that good.guys bringing there own rigs like Mexican flags or cedar plugs got bit time after time when I did not using house squid lures.i might be wrong 3 days don't really prove.great trips caught and seen my first live tuna,great weather.i was using 2 piece eagle claw rods and cheap reals ,but could cast 20 yards past anyone on either boat,never seen so many backlashes and jigs snapped off,or thrown into the kelp, one guy went to cast and threw his whole setup in the ocean,lol.it was a blast.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
what colors were you using for megabits???
Used black 3/1/2 oz black silver megabait, got 2 on brown shimano colt sniper,lost a few was casting one rod hand to my wife then cast the other then switch back to her.i casted over this tall guys head and my line wrapped on the very top of his hat,I was saying sorry and trying to untangle when a yellowfin bit and ripped the hat off into the air,lol I landed the fish.the guy moved in front of me when I was casting,but I still felt bad .

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
you and your wife should do a long range trip different class of fisherman common sense and politeness are not the norm now days not saying all cattle boat fisherman are that way in the last 5 years more aggressive fisherman met some of the nicest folks on 1 1/2 day trips so don't give it a second thought and glad you scored some fish enjoy
Used black 3/1/2 oz black silver megabait, got 2 on brown shimano colt sniper,lost a few was casting one rod hand to my wife then cast the other then switch back to her.i casted over this tall guys head and my line wrapped on the very top of his hat,I was saying sorry and trying to untangle when a yellowfin bit and ripped the hat off into the air,lol I landed the fish.the guy moved in front of me when I was casting,but I still felt bad .

Upvote 0

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
LOL, the hat story was great. I wish I could have seen that! I hope the guy laughed it off. Note to self, bring an extra hat...
Couple years ago we were on a school of YFT all day, it just stayed on our drift. Marcus put out a kite and went through the troll #s. Not many ever had the chance to fish the kite. Most were able to get bit on the kite, it was a blast, my fave 1.5 day boat!
Glenn

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
I hope or maybe in sept. I looked for your boat ,so I could say hi,did you guys leave before us.
you and your wife should do a long range trip different class of fisherman common sense and politeness are not the norm now days not saying all cattle boat fisherman are that way in the last 5 years more aggressive fisherman met some of the nicest folks on 1 1/2 day trips so don't give it a second thought and glad you scored some fish enjoy
I agree I spent about 2 k on those trips when I came in they were unloading the fish off a long range boat,man what a haul,next yEar for sure ,now back to Wyoming for Kokanee and fly fish trout.thanks mike

Upvote 0

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
Now that you've been exposed to combat fishing for a few days, sign up for a 5 day on one of the big long range boats. Your wife will think she's on a vacation cruise. Line up some decent tackle and be prepared for a whole 'nuther form of SD sportfishing.
In the long run, the slightly higher cost per day well justifies what you get.
Have your fish processed at one of the 3 processors and it can be shipped home to you.
Good luck and come back next year.

Reactions: Biggie Marlin
Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Now that you've been exposed to combat fishing for a few days, sign up for a 5 day on one of the big long range boats. Your wife will think she's on a vacation cruise. Line up some decent tackle and be prepared for a whole 'nuther form of SD sportfishing.
In the long run, the slightly higher cost per day well justifies what you get.end
Have your fish processed at one of the 3 processors and it can be shipped home to you.
Good luck and come back next year.
If I take my wife definitely long range boat,I like the combat fishing ,if its not trolling I will catch more than my share if I can cast to kelp or active fish!!!!I really get a kick out of seeing a lot of these guys in a all out panic when the boat pulls up on kelp or active fish,lol haha.I like scratchy fishing when you have make every chance count.i am going to come back in sept fish a 3 or 4 day boat out of hm landing.What boat do you like sea adventure 80 or top gun 80. Thanks

Upvote 0

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
If I take my wife definitely long range boat,I like the combat fishing ,if its not trolling I will catch more than my share if I can cast to kelp or active fish!!!!I really get a kick out of seeing a lot of these guys in a all out panic when the boat pulls up on kelp or active fish,lol haha.I like scratchy fishing when you have make every chance count.i am going to come back in sept fish a 3 or 4 day boat out of hm landing.What boat do you like sea adventure 80 or top gun 80. Thanks

Sent you a private message

Upvote 0

short-range

Independence
Jan 3, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
John
Boat
Independence
LOL I can relate to the HAT story on my second longer trip I could never get in the stern for 2 days the veterans always hogged what did I know?
SO I threw over all there heads and hooked up right away and that fish went to the right and almost took them all out....no one was hurt but I got plenty of rail time after that move :- )

Upvote 0