5 Open Spots on BHP/Trophy Tackle 16 Day Excel Trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by JohnTFT, Oct 16, 2014.

1. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    We have had 5 unexpected cancellations on this trip. Figured I would post it here to possibly get some interest!

Jan 31 - Feb 16 2015.

This trip is scheduled as a 16/13 fly ride but recent SOLAS regulations may make the trip a 16 day Ride -
    Ride. The Excel office is keeping us informed as to the exact change if any in schedule.

Its a great trip with a good mix of East Coast and West Coast anglers.

Basil and I Would like to see you on board!

Thanks,

Basil & John

2. offshore6

offshore6 Where's the tuna?

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boat Ho
    John - DON'T TEMPT ME! It would be easy to get off the January 14-30 trip, do some laundry and get back on the boat with you guys.

3. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Eric, I will pay for your laundry!! We need some class. You are more than welcome in fact you are being encouraged!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice Swordfish BTW!

4. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Hi John ,Hope you have been getting out this summer/fall to the canyons.

What are the new Solas regs and why is that affecting the fly down/back options?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    All LR boats that have the ability to enter a foreign port must have a SOLAS rating. Most of the LR boats have SOLAS ratings since they were built. New SOLAS regulations are requiring all vessels with a SOLAS rating install a VDR (Voice Data Recorder). Black Box if you will. The VDR's have to be approved and installed by 1/15/15. The Excel has applied for an exemption as I believe the other boats will as well. There has been no decision made as to the exemption.

Hoping that they get the exemption and we can move on from this.

6. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    A Voice data recorder for all SOLAS rating LR boats? I guess it never gets easier for these guys. One thing after another. Would be pretty cool to hear some of the recorded conversations up there though.

I guess the boats will have to install these during their spring dry dock.

7. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    the cost of LR fishing just went up again…...

8. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I think this is a no go for all of the boats. The costs associated with this technology and installation/retrofit of older vessels is several hundred thousand dollars. It's a game changer. Most boats cant afford it and to be honest - its worthless for vessels of this size.

They are not merchant vessels. They are not cruise ships. They have been SOLAS compliant for many decades with no incidents.

I am in the maritime industry in addition to owning a tackle shop. We call this type of regulation "the lowest hanging fruit". Its easy to pick. The USCG enforcing these regs on these boats is over regulation and completely unfair.

Tim Turis likes this.
  9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    The USCG enforcing these regs on these boats is over regulation and completely unfair.[/quote]

John…...While I agree with you does this mean they will not have to comply???????

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  10. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    David,

There is some conflict over compliance. Parts of the regulations say that if it is cost ineffective due to the age of the vessel and its use there can be exemptions made. I believe the LR fleet is waiting on a ruling from the USCG on this.

Systems such as AIS and ECDIS have part of the SOLAS requirements for many years for ships mostly over 3000 gross tons. The VDR IMO is the same type of requirement. Big ship toys for big ship boys.

Hoping they get the exemption.

11. timmyd3853

timmyd3853 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
    This just sounds to me like a bunch of politically charged, bureaucratic bullshit designed to mess with the little guy AGAIN like so much else from the obummer administration.i dont get what the problem is. it boils down to the boats drop anchor in the middle of a bay and a panga comes out and takes a bunch of people off the boat to the shore so they can catch as plane. WHY does THIS have to be regulated? John i hope they drop this nonsense and let you do the fly back for your trip. i did the 16 day fly back on the rooster earlier this year and i REALLY dont see what the issue is wth letting people get off the boat in this fashion. a VDR wont have any bearing on that what so ever unless someone highjacks the boat.

12. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Hi Tim. While many of us would like to blame the current administration for this, it has to do with standardizing compliance on safety issues worldwide. There is reason for the technology just not on a LR boat. AIS, ECDIS yes LR boats could benefit from this. Most LR boats have AIS and ECDIS or at least some type of E-Charting.

Why the VDR matters - without it a foreign country is not obligated to issue a visa. No visa no legal port entry for the passengers.

Hoping cooler heads prevail and the boats get the exemption from an economic stand point. No owner would put it on due to cost.

Fly/Fly and Ride/Fly works for some people and is part of making a LR trip reality. Its also another great marketing tool for the LR fleet. Shame to take it away over a regulation that has no place on these vessels at the current price.

13. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

So John only the boats that offer the fly down or fly back of fly/fly options will be required to have this data recorder?

14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Its unclear if entering a foreign port will decide the matter. If the SOLAS regulations require a VDR for compliance to the whole agreement, then they will have to have the equipment.

15. timmyd3853

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Im just sayin to me this isnt entering the port. i know theres boat docks ect in this pic but you really cant see em even from where we are in this pic. Now i could see if they wanted us to make landing ect to offload the passengers but we dont so i dont see the problem myself. Sooooo again i say its a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit LOL. at least it smells like it to me. but i do understand what thier point is a guess.

IMG_1448.JPG

16. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Great news! The USCG has exempted the Excel from the VDR requirement. I m pretty sure most of the LR fleet has been exempted as well.

The BHP/TrophyTackle trip is again a Ride/Fly trip. 16/13 days. 1/31/2015 - 2/16/2015 or 1/31/2015 - 2/13/15 in Cabo.

We have openings for those of you interested in jumping on this trip.

Thanks,

John

17. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Can u pm me details on the trip? Thanks. Robert

18. timmyd3853

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    thats great news John! Glad that all worked out. Good luck filling those spots

19. timmyd3853

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Hey Robert if youre looking for a good trip to go on this is the one. John and his crew of guys from back east are a kick in the ass to fish with. You cant go wrong here. id say jump on it while you got a chance! see you in a month and i got that cold shrink packed for ya

skipjackrobert likes this.
  20. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    Until I read the EXCEL , was exempted, I thought I figured out why the price increases in th 2015-2016 schedules. Maybe it's just a postponement. Why in the world would they require a "black box on these things. it usually just records the radio traffic anyway. Now if it recorded all the stuff that went on on the wheel house, they could make some money selling those recordings....LOL