monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Not exactly a customization, but after several seasons of having the grill in the boat taking up space and becoming semi dangerous, I finally figured out a cost effective way to build a bbq grill mount that goes in the rod holders and puts most of the hot surface outside of the boat. Even though this grill doesn't even get warm on the bottom due to the heat shield, I still found it inconvenient to use the grill. I always found it trying to slide off the cooler I keep on deck. So I pretty much had to hold it steady while it cooked. Not fun. So I bought two two foot sticks of 1 1/4" schedule 40 and a tee. I bent the base post to 60 degrees using a torch being careful not to burn the pvc. Even though it's plastic, it's very sturdy and holds the little grill perfectly. I plan on making something to better secure the grill down to the mount so that it doesn't tip overboard. Can't wait to try it out at Catalina next week.
Attached Images

20200912_171845.jpg

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I think I forgot to mention that the bottom doesn't get hot because of the heat shroud. Its a table top grill with plastic feet. Guess Coleman didn't see the err of their design either. Thanks for the kudos.

CESARJRC

Tail Chaser
Oct 22, 2016
Riverside
Name
Cesar
Boat
Arima Sea Chaser 17
How do you like that coleman fold n go?
Thinking about getting one. Seen good reviews.

Does if flare up?

Reactions: monster1

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
How do you like that coleman fold n go?
Thinking about getting one. Seen good reviews.

Does if flare up?
Yes. The small burner is a mere inch from the grate and not well protected from drips. The first time I used it at home, I cooked burgers on it. The burner plugged up so bad that I almost threw it in the trash. But I took it apart and cleaned it up. I only use it to cook food that is wrapped in foil so I don't get flare ups. They make a solid griddle for it, but i haven't needed it. Its tiny and definitely wouldn't do a tri tip. But the burner is small, bottom never gets hot (cooked on it on high for two hours on my Darwin award pvc mount and lived) and its very portable.

Reactions: CESARJRC

nefarious235

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Screenshot_20200921-121421.png

Reactions: monster1

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Cool! Thanks for the info.

In all honesty, there are better options. I'm just going with what I've got. I'll probably buy a better unit next year with a real mounting system and put this one in the basement of my trailer for camping.