5/9 first cast curse

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by westcoastdreamin, May 9, 2016.

1. westcoastdreamin

westcoastdreamin Member

Name:
    King
    Boat:
    NewFreejack
    Tough fishin today. Launched south island at 7 in showery skies and variable onshores. Slid into a nice school off pukey by ourselves and nailed a 15lb class tail on a tady C first cast before a larger vessel not built for run and gun blew through everything in typical fashion. Rest of the day was SLOW. Did the 425, 101, into descanso in some stiff winds before finding decent volume below the SKR. A few breezers of nice grade tail mixed in with hoards of pencils pushing tonnage of tiny chovie that wanted nothing to do with a hook or an engine. Pushed back out from SKR a few miles around 130 in the slop and found the larger grade tuna to be completely unapproachable. Got one good shot upon arrival and put my best tady45 and a colt sniper right in the middle for nada. Impressive to watch but got old quick. Back in around 430 with one tail and a handful of mini pencils and bonies.
    Overall it was very slow and the fishery looks like it needs to stabilize. There's major potential for great inshore fishin around SKR when it settles but the tuna look like they need to regroup as we saw very little in the way of volume. A few packs of 4's and 5's being too smart for us even though we were the only boat in sight. Very nice grade though. Saw some 30's and 40's on up to the 80+ range. The fish almost appear resident feeding in cold off color water hanging in the deep hole west of south island.
    Current was SCREAMING uphill from the south so all you antsy anglers just take a deep breath and wait for the show to begin. It's only getting started!
    Felt great to be out and I can't wait to see how things develop.
    WCD

2. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Totally agree. Thanks for the info. Locking, loading and getting ready.

zarco likes this.
  3. fish4evr

fish4evr Trunkus Monkious

Name:
    Hook & Irons
    Boat:
    Parker
    Thanks! Headed out Thursday, hoping it settles and regroups, I'm ready! Awesome report, thanks again.
    I'm in Encinitas as well, feel free to hit me up when your headed out again.

4. Nikki J

Nikki J Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
    Nice job Jeff

image.jpeg

Knock'nEmDead likes this.
  5. Knock'nEmDead

Knock'nEmDead Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    17' Scout; Das Boot
    Great report and Intel! Nice job on getting out there and looking for em! Thanks for sharing the info! You'll get em next trip!

6. fishincrazy

fishincrazy 100 Ton

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    25' Mako "Get Hooked"
    Great report. Thanks for getting out there and more importantly reporting back.

7. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Thanks for the report! Nice yellow!

8. westcoastdreamin

westcoastdreamin Member

Name:
    King
    Boat:
    NewFreejack
    Trip courtesy of the Nikki J! Ate up the slop and kept us in the game when most bugged out