Start Me Up Sportfishing

Allgooder

Sep 20, 2020
Oahu, HI
Name
Austin
Boat
Lowe 14ft Aluminum
My first post on here and my first year fishing, but reading everybody’s stories gets me fired up and I learned a ton so thought I’d try and share.

Tuesday woke up late since I thought it might be a solo day and I was kinda nervous. Fueled up and got the text my friend ended up getting off from work so my nerves settled and I shot down to Haleiwa.

My boat is small. 16ft fiberform. I’ve been running 2 Shimano 50Ws and 2 hand lines, but I just installed 0 degree swivel holders and got some 7ft bent Butts and Shimano 80ws. This is my first day getting to run all 4 reels. I’m excited.

We launch about 6:45. Good conditions. Swell dying down. We shoot out somewhere between 15 and 20 miles. Gunning about 18kts I don’t even know exactly where we were when a blue splash hits behind the boat. Then we see a small pile straight in front of us maybe 100 yards out.

I scramble to quickly set lines and get 2 out as we make our first pass. As we turn to make our second pass I get the second 2 lines out and within 3 minutes the left side goes. We’re on! 30 seconds later the short corner under it goes. DOUBLES! (Keep in mind this is my first season and so far I’ve only got my first 2 Shibis and 1 Aku ever in my life. I’m excited).

I let my partner start to reel the short corner since we’re both new and he’s just as excited as me. As it comes in she makes a jump and we realize we got mahis. Now I haven’t prepared my friend for a game plan with one mahi. Let alone doubles. He gets his to leader and pulls it up into the boat. With full excitement he grabs the bat and gives it a couple to the dome.

I reel mine up and because I’m a donkey brained idiot and didn’t know I had mahis, and was excited and couldn’t think Straight, I did not clear the opposite lines. And of course he swam straight across. Doesn’t matter. I’m landing this fish.

Now...the difference with this one is instead of a small double hook...he hit the 7” with trailer hooks....my friend is not aware of this. I get him to the boat. Swing him in. And quickly step back towards the cab. My friend excitedly steps the opposite way. Backing himself into the corner of the boat (Mistake #1). With his mini bat. Ready to put this fish down.

The fish goes mental as expected and my friend steps in to try and get it under control. (Mistake #2). The trailer hook goes directly into his calf and now he’s attached to this angry Mahi. Fortunately the barb came out the other side. I pin it down, and work the first hook out of the fishes mouth. We both look at each other and try to figure out if we can clip this thing and finish working this pile, but we are woefully unprepared and it looks a bit deeper than we should handle.

We toss the 2 fish in the bag on ice and zoom back in to the harbor to get the man to the hospital. Dropped him off with his wife who met us there. And we were completely in and done by 8AM. 5 stitches later he’s alright and wanting to get back out there as soon as he can.

My first Mahis came with a solid lesson (and an order to Pelagic for Boots and a bib)
5B673F3C-1E8E-4042-8390-4D92A63DBD33.jpeg

E71EB7A5-E28F-455C-8D53-830F46E0E5EB.jpeg

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Great trip even with Fish Revenge.
    Glad your buddy is healing. His fishing desire is honorable. :appl:

Great first report and I look forward to more adventures.

Reactions: Allgooder
    Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
    Oahu
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Austin and your injured crew member,
    Bad things happen in threes, that's the 3rd hook burying event I'm aware of in the last 2 weeks, Ouch but glad no major damage inside. Excellent write up, and can certainly feel the "stoke". Stay after it and keep learning.

Cheers
    Pat

Upvote 0

Allgooder

Sep 20, 2020
    Oahu, HI
    Name
    Austin
    Boat
    Lowe 14ft Aluminum
    Austin and your injured crew member,
    Bad things happen in threes, that's the 3rd hook burying event I'm aware of in the last 2 weeks, Ouch but glad no major damage inside. Excellent write up, and can certainly feel the "stoke". Stay after it and keep learning.

Cheers
    Pat
    Thanks Pat! Was definitely inspired by reading all your posts on here.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Nice work skipper, Your buddies Injury is the ultimate show piece for bloody decks🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0

calvinkeithpres

ISLAND WARRIOR
    Apr 29, 2011
    Sunset Bch, Hi USA
    Name
    Calvin Pressly
    Boat
    Island Warrior
    Glad injury resolved, Keep it simple, you were very lucky this time. Learn how to leader a small fish before you attempt large Tuna or Marlin(its very dangerous). No one fishes with me barefoot! Kee,p it simple, slow down! Stay Safe. FYI, mahi inside boat, going crazy, throw a wet towel on it(it works) Get rid of trailer hooks until you become a better fisherman. Catch em Up!!!!

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
    Jun 1, 2009
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    Name
    JimmyK
    Boat
    18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
    Good going on your catch, glad that the injury was not real serious and cause some major damage. Safety first! I fish with my wife so safety is #1. Take care and good luck fishing...

Upvote 0

Molokaimatt

Jan 7, 2010
    Kaunakakai, HI USA
    www.quazifilms.com
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    KIKUYE - 18' Custom Leader Cat
    I was a newbie 20 years ago, but I was lucky because I had some solid fishing uncles that taught me lots. I'll pass on some of it here. First, don't go solo until you have more experience under your belt. Shit can can go wrong real fast out there and when you're miles off shore that can be a bad situation. Second, take your time with fish, big and small. Hard not to get all excited, but taking your time is super important. You don't need to jump right on the reel and start cranking. Let the fish hit and run and watch what it does and figure out what kind of fish it is and put your boat on a good line before you cut back on your throttle. Keeping the boat moving after strike keeps your line tight and gives you time to clear your other lines if necessary. Keeping your boat in gear when leadering fish makes it easier too because it keeps the fish running straight alongside your boat for an easy gaff shot. The only thing is to make sure you have a kill switch lanyard or someone at the wheel because if you go overboard leaning out for the gaff, the boat will leave you behind if in gear. With mahis, learn to gaff and get em out of the water in one steady move. If you gaff it and keep it in the water they go crazy. Sink gaff and get them in air where they can squirm, but not swim, then swing them directly into an open cooler or fish box and close the lid as soon as it lands. Wet towel over their eyes works too (once their eyes are covered, they go limp), but I rather get them contained in a fish box than have them on the deck. A mahi on the deck going nuts can break stuff and can flip itself back out of the boat. I agree about only running single hooks especially in a smaller boat. That's all I run and it's never slowed me down. Another thing I do that other guys might not agree with is run short 6'-7' leaders. I fish off smaller boats and do fish solo once in a while. Short leaders allow you to reel right up to the swivel and have fish in gaff range without having to take hand wraps on the leader. Way safer and easier. I've landed 200+lb marlin with this setup, so while there is a chance a large marlin could cut your main line with short leader, I say the benefits outweigh the possible negatives. Again, most important, don't go solo until you have more water time and feel super confident that you know what you're doing. Congrats on those 2 mahis! Many more in your future. Aloha.

Upvote 0

calvinkeithpres

ISLAND WARRIOR
    Apr 29, 2011
    Sunset Bch, Hi USA
    Name
    Calvin Pressly
    Boat
    Island Warrior
    I was a newbie 20 years ago, but I was lucky because I had some solid fishing uncles that taught me lots. I'll pass on some of it here. First, don't go solo until you have more experience under your belt. Shit can can go wrong real fast out there and when you're miles off shore that can be a bad situation. Second, take your time with fish, big and small. Hard not to get all excited, but taking your time is super important. You don't need to jump right on the reel and start cranking. Let the fish hit and run and watch what it does and figure out what kind of fish it is and put your boat on a good line before you cut back on your throttle. Keeping the boat moving after strike keeps your line tight and gives you time to clear your other lines if necessary. Keeping your boat in gear when leadering fish makes it easier too because it keeps the fish running straight alongside your boat for an easy gaff shot. The only thing is to make sure you have a kill switch lanyard or someone at the wheel because if you go overboard leaning out for the gaff, the boat will leave you behind if in gear. With mahis, learn to gaff and get em out of the water in one steady move. If you gaff it and keep it in the water they go crazy. Sink gaff and get them in air where they can squirm, but not swim, then swing them directly into an open cooler or fish box and close the lid as soon as it lands. Wet towel over their eyes works too (once their eyes are covered, they go limp), but I rather get them contained in a fish box than have them on the deck. A mahi on the deck going nuts can break stuff and can flip itself back out of the boat. I agree about only running single hooks especially in a smaller boat. That's all I run and it's never slowed me down. Another thing I do that other guys might not agree with is run short 6'-7' leaders. I fish off smaller boats and do fish solo once in a while. Short leaders allow you to reel right up to the swivel and have fish in gaff range without having to take hand wraps on the leader. Way safer and easier. I've landed 200+lb marlin with this setup, so while there is a chance a large marlin could cut your main line with short leader, I say the benefits outweigh the possible negatives. Again, most important, don't go solo until you have more water time and feel super confident that you know what you're doing. Congrats on those 2 mahis! Many more in your future. Aloha.
    Good advice all around, I posted the previous post with suggestions and would like to add 1 additional suggestion. Investigate and educate on -wind on leader fishing- its used worldwide and eliminates a leader man, person reeling fish reels almost all the way up and then gaff man does his thing, you of course need a rod with -big foot roller guides- small boats do not need a 15ft plus leader, KISS keeo it simple, Hope these tips and suggestions help out, we all had to learn! Do it safely!

Upvote 0

GulfRefugee

Dec 11, 2020
    Ewa Beach
    Name
    Chris Johnson
    Boat
    Noname
    Congrats on meat on deck. From hard learned experience, have a pair of pliers or dykes in the toolbox to cut off the barb. The hook will back out relatively painlessly. A sharp knife too, in case the barb doesn't come all the way through.

Upvote 0

Allgooder

Sep 20, 2020
    Oahu, HI
    Name
    Austin
    Boat
    Lowe 14ft Aluminum
    This is golden!!! I’m using all of this. Thank you!!!

Reactions: Molokaimatt
    Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2007
    Honolulu
    Name
    zzzz
    Boat
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    mahis are dangerous fish when brought on board and not controlled quickly - especially w/ trailer hooks -

this is my preferred method w/ mahis

get it on the boat, immediately, with gloved hands, grab it by the tail and gills, head against deck, flex tail up - take a kill stick or knife, jam through eyes and rotate properly

put in cooler, even if w/ lure and leader

alternative method, have a spray bottle of vodka available, spray liberally into gills, shuts right down (do this in flex position above - when flexed, under pressure, fish stops fighting)

tight lines,

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Nice Mahi. Glad your bud got that taken care of at the ER.
    Mahi and Ono are know jig throwers so LOOK OUT when ya can. GREAT 1st post and pics too.

OUCH been there. Had a bull Mahi nail my Zuker 6/0
    off San Clemente here trolling past a paddy, JUMPED and threw the jig back thru my right cheek at 100mph. Some peroxide and wad of paper towels inside/duct tape out side and back to the paddy we went. WHAM got Him! Fish all day on 85ft Freelance, then 22 stitches at the ER on way home that night. BIG OWEEE. LOL Not fun for anyone.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    Hurts WAY more later, best to do the deed right away...I bought a pair of mini bolt cutters just for such an occasion. Dikes wont cut it..."Thats Funny" Not! When you are using strong hooks you really need Bolt cutters, you will be wrenching on a heavy hook to get it to cut w/dikes. Not cool when the hook is in you...GL

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2007
    Honolulu
    Name
    zzzz
    Boat
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    bolt cutters are a good idea as a safety tool to have....

however,
    I would only use bolt cutters to extract a hook if the bleeding is so bad that you have to take the hook out to attempt to stop it

if it is not bleeding badly, the danger of tendon, nerve or further bleeding from extracting a hook after you have used the bolt cutters is not close to worth it in my view

best thing is depending on severity, go in and seek medical attention, or, call the coast guard

infection from pelagic fish can also be a biatch

tight lines,

Upvote 0

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Name
    CP
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    What Molokaimatt said x 2. You've got a solid friend to want to go again after "dancing with a mahi" (hope his wife agrees). At least he got revenge on that mahi at dinner, right?😉

Upvote 0