fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Have not fished for over a month as work has been as busy as it gets for me. A short Spring weather window opened up, big BFT moving within 40 miles or possibly closer, I'm in! Left shelter at 4AM, with anchovie sized sardines. Cool, cloudy and lake like conditions. Went to the rockpile, a few birds are up. Looked for the YT to pop, but not yet. Fished squid for some rockies. Headed SW to 101, where SVUE caught his. Very quiet, no birds up. Went further West, to the North of the upper hidden. Quiet. Headed to the finger at noon for YT, the 3/4 boats were there, birds were up, but slow fishing. Headed North back to the rockpile, and birds are working. Picked up a 15 lb YT trolling over one of the high spots with a x-rap. We continued working the bird schools just South of the Coronados. One school is the biggest YT school I have ever seen, 200 x 100 feet across. I gently get up current and shut down. The school envelopes me, up on the bow I look down and see huge yt chase my mint surface Iron, but no bites on bait either. I bought a Torium HG 16 for Mother's day, filed with 65 braid silk and it worked great, slinging an iron a country mile! Just West of the South Island, big boils of BF, but no biters for me. Super tired as the anticipation only let me sleep for an hour the night before, and I headed in pretty early around 3 PM. At the ramp I did hear one guy caught his first tuna, a 59 lber! Seems like they are moving North to the 9 this week! I would go fish that area in the afternoon, if I were you.

GOPR3201.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
Ca
Name
None
Boat
None
Have not fished for over a month as work has been as busy as it gets for me. A short Spring weather window opened up, big BFT moving within 40 miles or possibly closer, I'm in! Left shelter at 4AM, with anchovie sized sardines. Cool, cloudy and lake like conditions. Went to the rockpile, a few birds are up. Looked for the YT to pop, but not yet. Fished squid for some rockies. Headed SW to 101, where SVUE caught his. Very quiet, no birds up. Went further West, to the North of the upper hidden. Quiet. Headed to the finger at noon for YT, the 3/4 boats were there, birds were up, but slow fishing. Headed North back to the rockpile, and birds are working. Picked up a 15 lb YT trolling over one of the high spots with a x-rap. We continued working the bird schools just South of the Coronados. One school is the biggest YT school I have ever seen, 200 x 100 feet across. I gently get up current and shut down. The school envelopes me, up on the bow I look down and see huge yt chase my mint surface Iron, but no bites on bait either. I bought a Torium HG 16 for Mother's day, filed with 65 braid silk and it worked great, slinging an iron a country mile! Just West of the South Island, big boils of BF, but no biters for me. Super tired as the anticipation only let me sleep for an hour the night before, and I headed in pretty early around 3 PM. At the ramp I did hear one guy caught his first tuna, a 59 lber! Seems like they are moving North to the 9 this week! I would go fish that area in the afternoon, if I were you.

View attachment 759677
Great report. Want a get to the 9 but weather is forecast the shit.

Reactions: fishsmith
Upvote 0

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
The BFT were all over the 9 yesterday. Huge bird schools all over and boils popping up everywhere. Frustratingly we gunned from spot to spot and got blanked, meanwhile seeing the first boat on the spot get hooked up each time. Some boats had limits we had 0. Also ran all the way south 40 miles for nothing. Wish I read your report about staying north prior to going so far,

Curious for those who are more experienced with BFT - what's the best strategy when "running and gunning" - how to effectively slide up to the school without pushing them down.

Thanks

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Much more life in the afternoon than morning, new moon delay's the action a bit. As far as getting into the bird schools: Look for your own area, don't crash someone's school. Spot the birds, watch which way they are moving, they do move slowly in a specific direction. Circle wide slowly, get in front staying at least 50 yards away and shut down. Chum, chum chum and get baits in the water, clicker on. Have your jig sticks ready to fire. School should surround you unless you misjudged the direction.

Reactions: mobilereef
Upvote 0