5/31 BFT Report

jorgecev

May 20, 2020
San Diego
Name
Jorge Cevallos
Boat
Cobia 23
First report on here from us, hope it helps some of you guys!

My dad and I left the bait dock at around 5:30 am and headed towards the 230. I pulled a couple of coordinates off here and fish dope and planned to start near the 230 and head south towards the upper hidden. We were on a cobia 23 and it was pretty rough out there which made it all pretty tough to manage the kite and have the yummy well presented. We spent the whole morning trolling the yummy on the kite at 8-9 mph without seeing any signs of life of any kind. Pulled up to a couple of empty kelp, and we knew that going south would mean a rough ride back, but we kept at it. At 12:30 we got a couple of marks on the sonar (coordinates below), chummed and swapped the yummy for a fresh frozen flyer, and at 12:35 we got blown up by my first BFT. We took our time with it and it took us a bit over an hour to land but we finally got our first triple-digit BFT! After we got it in the boat, we decided to head straight back to Point Loma although the sonar picked up a few more marks right around where we hooked up. We were too tired to try and get on another fish, and we knew the ride back was going to take 3 hours or so (10mph average on the way back) and we had what we had gone out for.

I'm curious to hear what other people were doing out there or any tips/advice for next time we go out. We only saw 2 boats out there, so it started getting to our heads that we were in the wrong area, but it paid off in the end. So stoked!

Image from iOS.jpg
Image from iOS (1).jpg

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Glad you guys got one Thanks for the report

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
I don’t have a boat so the numbers won’t help me one bit. But I gotta say I’ve been a member since almost the beginning and I do like this new kindler gentler sharing BD!

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Nice work! :appl: Congrats, that's a beauty!

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
Damn good fish!!! Looks like about 150 give or take???just a guess!!

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Good write up for a rookie :)report wise! BF fishing, you guys are pro. Getting intel from the reports here plus dope worked out well for you guys. Hats off!

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
Jun 26, 2004
In the Sticks
Name
Jim Perkins
Boat
Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"
Nice fish congrats

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
good job, nice fish , heard it was a kinda rough weather day out there yesterday..

MikeC92109

Weekend Warrior
Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sea Pro 228
Way to stick with the plan, we made the same trip on Sat in my 22' center console but didn't get anything to show for it. The ride back uphill was slow and rough, but I'm sure it was worth it. Cheers.

thrasher949

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 18, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 23
Concur it was bumpy as fuck out there on the west side. Made it 5 miles west of the 371 couldn't keep the yummy skipping even trolling downhill lol. Perfect day for a pilothouse.... wipers were on the whole fucking day. Called it early, just over 2hrs to get back... doesn't look like the wind is letting up anytime soon.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
NICE FISH and GOOD JOB. Time spent fishing with Dad=Priceless!

Hoping to get out there in the next week or two finally. LOL