5-3 Report: San Pedro/Cat West End/Backside/Isthmus/Mussell Farm

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Donkey Nick, May 3, 2019.

1. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Happy Friday everyone!

Here’s a little information that may help you out for your plans this weekend.

After many months off the water, went to Cabrillo Marina last night with my pop (82 y/o) and decided to take the Shamrock out this morning for its first cruise in quite some time. We were looking forward to putting some miles on the boat and that we did. By the way, we have a nine month old healthy baby boy at home and life couldn’t be better...minus some well needed time on the pond. Dad and I grabbed a little Mexican food from one of the local trucks, hit up the grocery store and loaded up with a few 20 pound bags of ice. Picked up a few snacks and hung out back on the boat in the marina with Pop. There’s something to be said about the peaceful feeling of being on your own boat and getting a good night’s sleep before heading out. It’s also a very special time with dad.

Since we were staying overnight, we filled up the tanks at the fuel dock and then we hit the break wall right before dusk and absolutely loaded up on the most beautiful mini-macs in a long time... they were coming up five at a time...If you’re looking for macs, just head south of the San Pedro lighthouse, along the break wall in about 50 feet of water and you should do you just fine.

48428E57-F6C6-4EE4-B96C-E48E3809B05B.jpeg

Kept the bait in the tank overnight and by morning everything looked great. Along with 5 pounds of squid from the Asian market, we decided to bypass San Pedro Bait and Head on out. With the on-and-off yellowtail bite inshore, we figured it would be a private boaters /partyboat zoo and opted to head to Catalina to do our own thing.

265DDA72-D2F4-4815-9D06-A66E279E95CF.jpeg

Well, lots of ground covered today and we saw some very clean, but cold at the island. Hit up a few West End spots for no action and then turned the corner and looked around West cove. Ripping uphill current and a few boats were anchored up, but didn’t see much action as we anchored up for about a half hour as well. Absolutely no action on surface fish. The cold water Has to be a big part of it?

Came back around the front and decided to try a few of our rockfish spots on the outside. Managed a few reds and chuckleheads, had some lunch (salami and avocado sandwiches) and then decided to swing by the rigs and the mussel farm for kicks on the way home.

Arrived on the grounds with the Native Sun and about 20 other private boaters. On the way to the farm, drove through the 150 and the rigs, where the Freelance and the Western Pride were anchored up. At the mussel farm, there were private boats all over the place and many donkeys driving over each other. I decided to keep my my cool, as most of the boats were respecting each other and keeping their distance. However, many people were trying to maneuver in between all the buoys and in and out of the mess. We kept our distance, slow trolled the mackerel and did some really nice drifts with the beautiful candy bait. No love. Saw the “Rain Shadow” hanging on the right kind after they were throwing iron for quite some time... that was the only action we saw as we stuck it out for a few hours. Water was still around 53° and green. Literally did not see anybody on a fish, but there was some decent bird and dolphin activity in the area.

Pulled the plug around 1:30 PM and headed back to the barn. Looking back into the distance a few more party boats we’re heading in to join the party. Potentially it was an afternoon bite?

Super smooth conditions with almost no swell and no wind. The weather is looking great and summer is right around the corner! Always a blessing to be on the water and back home in time to take care of the baby and stay out of trouble with the wife!

Tight lines and all the best!

Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    One_Leg, SaltH20Angler, Joda and 14 others like this.
  2. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks, your information is excellent.

It has been an after noon bite in shore, but none of the party boats have reported success in shore today, so you're not off the mark.

The only successes today so far have been reported by the over night boats fishing the outer islands, so the action is off shore, and from the look of it, at San Clemente island.

I'm going to go out on a limb based on water temperature and say that there could be a bite going on at Santa Barbara island, too, but probably not San Nicolas.

Look for conditions with water temperature reaching 63 to 65, which inevitably have to be in the after noon.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  4. Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.

Name:
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat:
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Regardless of the fishing it sounds like a great day on the water with your old man. He sounds like a trooper.

Donkey Nick likes this.
  5. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    I think your temp gauge may be a bit off .
    Edit: Just checked the buoy temps on noaa ,there showing a good 10 degrees warmer. Time to calibrate your temp gauge .

Donkey Nick and makairaa like this.
  6. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    And it's only May, lol

Enjoying time with your Pop, smart man.

Donkey Nick likes this.
  7. Donkey Nick

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    That makes great sense. I had a pretty good feeling something wasn’t right. The old Furuno is getting OLD. Thanks

8. Donkey Nick

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Edited post. Thanks again!

9. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Have to ask, how was the wind chop/swell at Cat?

And thank you for sharing.

10. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Great day with your dad!

We were one of the first boats at the farm. Nothing was happening so we went out on our own. We found a fishy place and waited for the yellers to pop up, which they did every 1/2 hour. We went 2/3 on surface action with surface iron and 100 gram snipers. Also got big bass and rockfish.

Fantastic weather.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    One_Leg and Tunaslam like this.
  11. Triple555

Triple555 Captain

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    23 Seaswirl "Seasquirrel"
    Thx for info NIck.....congrats on baby and hanging w pops....I'm 10 wks out of shoulder surgery and 5 days out of hip replacement....gnarly year to become the 6 mil $ man haa!! can fish in a few weeks or so....got 2 trips in before the downtime....island....flatties no cbass but all good. Hope to see you out this year, cheers :jig::)

Donkey Nick likes this.
  12. MikesOcean

MikesOcean Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Therapist
    Great report and info. I think I saw you out there. I was at the farm on Friday with my buddy and he was dedicated to catch em on a popper. So I drove while he was on the bow waiting for them to come up.
    We decided to work the SW corner where at the time had no boats except another center console with Two cool dudes. I think they landed a couple. We stayed quiet and worked well together. Until a party boat showed up and tried to push us off that spot. My buddy went 0-5 on the popper. Much smaller boils than a week ago thou. Dam fish would smack the popper but not commit. Except one that he got right to the boat for gaff and the hook popped there too. FML.

Combat fishing is not fun in my opinion.

It was so bad in the morning. We were working areas with the least boats around.
    My buddy hooked a bird and within a minute there was 10 boats surrounding us. I guess they thought it was the right kind. Haha

See you out there

pacificscout and Donkey Nick like this.
  13. soimthatguy

soimthatguy Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Nocattle
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: