wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
A lil hiccup, been busy. Not saying this is the list of what you need to do, is is just how I go about it.
I really enjoy getting ready, exciting part of the trip for me.
To extend my quiver without bringing my rods, I bring outfits that might span a few different line classes. Being my reels are all full of braid, it's simply a matter of switching out the topshot- finicky fish, drop to 25# or 30. If they are really biting, go up to 40 or 50. The rod might be rated 30-50, but it doesn't hurt me at all to fish that rod with 25# (even dropped to 20# once this year, just to get a bite), or bump up to 50.
One trip this year, all 3 of my flyline outfits were 50#. They were good grade, they were biting, and I was handing off and wanted the anglers I was handing off to to have a chance of landing the fish.
I have a Mak 15T, that's my 60-80# reel. It gets a torpedo sinker on it, a little bigger hook (2/0), or a daytime jig.
Then my Mak 20 with 100-150#, on either a UC Invictus or a 310Rodworks Deviant. Yeah, I only bring one heavy outfit. Last trip, my topshot got trashed- I switched it out, took me about 5 minutes (not a big deal, you need a break when yoyo-ing 240-300 feet deep), and back in action.
Little tiny tackle bag has: torpedo sinkers from 4-12 oz in left side pouch, egg sinkers 1/4oz to 3 ounces right side pouch, front pouch has scale, splicing needles, screwdriver. in bottom of main bag, a 300 and 430 gram knife jig, then a small tray with Salas 6X Jr, 6X, 7X heavy. And one 230 gram flatfall. Next tray has hooks, many hooks, but I only use Quick Rig Charlie Brown hooks in 1/0 and 2/0. I have other sizes and brands as backup. Since there's still room, my belt and leather tool holder sheath.
My back pack has either spools of FC 20-35#, or premade topshots from 40#-150#, my bedding and whatever else I need.
Not saying that's the only way, not at all. I do like getting ready for trips, but cleaning up afterwards and putting stuff away is my least favorite of the trip. I've found this amount to be less painful for that part.

dunku

Sep 11, 2007
ventura, ca
Name
nolan
Boat
the one i paid a spot for
what are your lighter rods that you are normally taking? not the three 50lb flyline
, or did you mean that is your normal light quiver?

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
I'd really like to bring less gear and since you have it paired down to the minimum I was hoping you could help me get there.....If you could only bring 3 of the following which size and color would you bring...

3 flat falls
3 surface irons
3 yo-yo irons
3 snipers

Thanks
PJ

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Part of the fun in fishing it the anticipation and planning. I unfortunately bring way too much shit but in all fairness I mix it up when I fish and will often try several set ups of methods even if I am getting bit. I'm also notorious for loaning and giving away terminal tackle on trips.