ryanhead

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Tuna did NOT cooperate like they did the day before. We found breaking 15# bluefin around near the tuna pens in the morning but couldn't get bit. Upper hidden had kelp paddies with biting yellowtail and really good tuna-looking meter marks. We got the tuna to come up a few times and even hooked one, but pulled the hook. Radio reported 371 was dead but had a few paddies holding yellows. 302 was reported to be completely dead. If I went out tomorrow, I'd go straight to upper hidden, find a nice paddy with meter marks and sit on it all day with a dead flyer under a balloon, while soaking baits for yellowtail and yellowfin.

Very few people reported good sonar marks, but we were seeing schools of fish like the one below pass through every 5-10 minutes at upper hidden. Lots of life!
IMG_20200528_130747.jpg

Last edited:

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
Curious what the hell is going on off Clemente. Has anyone seen BFT up here yet? I haven’t seen one report from Clemente in weeks.

Bold #7

Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
We were there in the same area and would have to say you are spot on.

ryanhead

Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Curious what the hell is going on off Clemente. Has anyone seen BFT up here yet? I haven’t seen one report from Clemente in weeks.
It seemed like everyone, including us, was thinking that the fish moved northwest and the bulk of boats pushed up that way during the day, but they all reported that they couldn't find anything and we found tons of life around the upper hidden and one guy on the radio reported some yellowfin southeast of the upper hidden. If they pushed north, they probably went more west than north because the guys at the 302 couldn't find anything. Maybe check out San Salvador area? I'm sure there's some around SCI but I don't think the majority of the volume of fish has made it that far yet.

Reactions: Hookup562

Wild West

Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
It seemed like everyone, including us, was thinking that the fish moved northwest and the bulk of boats pushed up that way during the day, but they all reported that they couldn't find anything and we found tons of life around the upper hidden and one guy on the radio reported some yellowfin southeast of the upper hidden. If they pushed north, they probably went more west than north because the guys at the 302 couldn't find anything. Maybe check out San Salvador area? I'm sure there's some around SCI but I don't think the majority of the volume of fish has made it that far yet.
JD's site noted a commercial guy saw tuna near the 289 yesterday or the day before.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Thanks Ryan. I been reading the inshore and islands section. No reports from SCI yet. Just yellowtail at Catalina. Was curious why no one is fishing that area of the island or the island yet. 381 or the 81 or Mackerel Bank etc.

ryanhead

Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Thanks Ryan. I been reading the inshore and islands section. No reports from SCI yet. Just yellowtail at Catalina. Was curious why no one is fishing that area of the island or the island yet. 381 or the 81 or Mackerel Bank etc.
If I had to guess, the fishing is good at the upper hidden which in only 40 miles from the point and only requires a Mex license to fish. Why run 70 miles to SCI when you could fish at 40 miles with the option of hitting the Coronados on the way there and back?

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
If I had to guess, the fishing is good at the upper hidden which in only 40 miles from the point and only requires a Mex license to fish. Why run 70 miles to SCI when you could fish at 40 miles with the option of hitting the Coronados on the way there and back?
Not everyone has a Visa to goto Coronados. And also lots of our anglers are out of OC and La County. I was hoping someone would report an SCI scouting report.