Cafacrafta

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 13, 2018
California
Name
Lucas
Boat
None
Headed out on the Pegasus out of fisherman’s landing on 5/24 for a 1.5 day trip looking for bluefin. The crew said that the recent storm had pushed the fish away but the spotter plane had found some somewhere south, we headed there. We found a small school around 6 but didn’t bite , we look around until 10 find a school and drift around that school for around 6 hours. After that it was all slow nothing else for the rest of the day. It was steady fishing in the middle of the day with a lot of lost fish , I hooked 2 and landed both they were around 70. Was using a skinny rod with a single speed torium and felt a little undergunned but it was all good , I used 2/0 circles with a long soak to get bit. The boat got 11 for 20 anglers.

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
Nice report!!! Wish all the fish list coulda made it to gaff!!! How many fish do you think were lost??? Just curious.

Cafacrafta

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 13, 2018
California
Name
Lucas
Boat
None
Nice report!!! Wish all the fish list coulda made it to gaff!!! How many fish do you think were lost??? Just curious.
Lol not sure but more than were caught I’m pretty sure, some dudes were dropping to 30 on spinning setups

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Excellent news at least theyre deciding to stick around. I was in the wheelhouse of the tribute when the spotter plane called capt mike and told him where all the fish went. Unfortunately for us we spent most of our day bout 50miles south where they were the week before and we were only on an overnighter too. We went 6 for 9 on 50-80lbers and most fish caught deep. 2 on flatfalls(surprised they still work) and 2 on sinker rigged and 1 on buthook 1 on shoulder hooked deans. 40lb fluoro to 1/0 was the ticket for flyline. For FF they used heavier line. Super skittish fish. Mike said the spotter plane came down 200yds from a school and the bft sunked out on the sound of the plane. I didnt even get a nibble but the rental rod guys and one guy fishing a penn senator 6/0 mono/spectra line on a 5ft fenwick trollstick schooled us and im absolutely happy for them. Seaforth has some nice rental gear! Fathom 40nld2 mono spectra on custom rainshadow 84xh 40-80. Made quick work of these fish. Capt and crew of the tribute has always been one of my top favorites. Oh yeah capt mike did God's work for a deckhand off the intrepid.

Unforgiven1

It's All About The Tuna
Advertiser
Apr 7, 2004
Redondo Beach, California
Name
Drew
Boat
UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
Good job Lucas, I was on that trip with you. Nice hookup for your dad too. I got my limit plus a hook and hand, and one other guy got theirs as well. Someone asked how many lost fish, I will say conservatively over 25, probably closer to 35, at least 3 dudes lost 4 each. We should have fucked that school up with the length of time that school was on us. I used owner offshore bait hooks size 1, the owner 1/0 mutus were too big for me, especially since the bait was small and lethargic.

Reactions: Haly0 and Maing

Jayonce

May 6, 2019
Pasadena, CA
Name
Jay Kim
Boat
Freelance
Hey all, was on that trip with you all too and was fortunate to get my limit as well both at 70lbs. Agree, lot of hook ups and unfortunately heartbreaks too (been on that side many times). I also fished flyline 40lb fluoro with 1/0 circle- first hook up was standard Mutu. Second hook up I used the smaller Mustad 3x demon 1/0 circle. Caught on SX G2 which as brutal.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Did you post a picture on Reddit?

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!