5/24-29-31/21

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Monday 5/24 slip neighbor Bruce had said he had been wanting to take a trip on Kai'Nana, we figured that out. Moon set at 4:30, we had a 1/2 hour to get bait and we did. Ran up towards CO and crossed over to the shallow side of the 500, make our way outside rock crusher on the 1000. Flat calm so had the soft head in the spread, and its goes, short run, comes off, check the lure, teeth marks on the head, it wouldn't be the first ahi I've caught on the soft head.

Maybe an hour later the stbd rigger goes, classic ahi run and straight down, sweet. Bruce gets whipped pretty quick so I am more than willing to oblige. Maybe into the fish for 40 minutes when it starts to come up, now thinking marlin, bummers, then back down, ok maybe not, probably an hour later fish comes up to the surface about 80 yards off stbd side, see what we got, drag up to FULL double thumb the reel and break it off. I will neither confirm nor deny what the critter was, but it was stubborn.
bruce ahiWS052421.jpg

ahiWS 052421.jpg

Saturday 5/29 Derek, Mike and myself push off at 5. Head up north hoping to find glory... Get to CO area, plenty birds, scattered piles. Instead of going around the point decide to slide out west. Quick story on Derek, some of you who have been on BD for awhile may remember Robert, he used to go quite often, his son Derek had gone a few times as well, one was quite a memorable trip early Jan 2011, see link below. Derek was photographer and "keep your eyes on the porpoise" person. Probably around 9 the port corners takes off, almost forgot what the Makairas sound like when a real fish grabs lure. Mike and I get the killing field set up, Derek does a bang up job with the fish, I leader, Mike gaffs, pull our visitor over the rail, SWEET. Derek is all smiles and more importantly achieved his "right of passage"!!!
derekfight.jpg

derek ahi.jpg

ahilure52921.jpg

Mike's Shiroma got the critter.

Monday 5/31 Memorial Day; remember its not a 3 day weekend, Monday is a day to remember... Mike and I pushed off around 4:45 ran out towards the same area, just because there was so much life out there Saturday. Sure enough scattered piles, Mike may be sitting on a bucket taking his morning constitutional, while looking back at the spread, when I hear "holy chit" I'm thinking yeah that's what you're doing? After he finishes his duty, he tells a fish blew up on the stbd corner, saw the rod bend never pulled line. Check the lure, see the head and leader are chaffed, wrong species.

We had committed to not come back too late, so we head to the Kaena ledge to look for any scissor lipped critters. We found 2, one was a keeper. Happy with the day, remembering those that keep us safe and protecting our Liberty.
ono53121.jpg

Cheers
Pat

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Good going Pat, right on schedule as always! I think I saw you leave just as we were pulling into the ramp at the harbor, by the time we got out you were long gone haha....

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good going on the yellow guy and the scissors lips!
Thanks Jimmy.
Nice still waiting to get one!
Thanks Steve, your is right over the next wave.
Awesome! That ono has some serious length!
Thanks Ryan, he was long, but also Mike is short (J/K).
GREAT Report and bendo Pics. Nice AHI and ONO!!!
Thanks Ron, yeah that fish from last week Monday put a hurtin' on the gear.
Good going Pat, right on schedule as always! I think I saw you leave just as we were pulling into the ramp at the harbor, by the time we got out you were long gone haha....
Thanks Randy, yeah we ran for a half hour or so, Kai'Nana's running isn't terribly fast.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0