Offshore 5/21 BFT down south

May 20, 2015
Huntington harbor
stokedonfishingcharters.com
Name
Andrew
Boat Name
Everglades cc
Report from yesterday 5/21. I got the chance to work second on board the Wild Thing this weekend. Plan was to try to get on the night bite down south for the jig fishing and then see what we could get to go during the day. We got to the zone around the 238 and started to meter around for something to set up on. Never found a good school in the dark and had no luck jigging. After grey light came around we started to cover some more ground in that zone. Very slow with zero surface signal and very few marks for us. Our bait wasn’t doing so great and most rolled. We set up on a paddy out there and were metering some fish down deep under it but no luck. Got my CaliMade Lures spreader bars out and kept looking. Blind strike around 8am 31 31 over 117 14. Later on at 31 35 over 117 10 we had another hook up and got it on the boat. Still very slow with not a lot of life. FINALLY at around 4:45 things started to come to life for us. Heading north starting at 31 42 over 117 16 ending 31 51 over 117 15 we put 6 more bluefin on the boat. All of the fish on the spreader bars. 6.5-7 knots was the best speed and they were biting it wayyy back. My previous trip the fish were biting the directional bars close in but this trip we only had one on the directional with the rest coming off the center really far back. 7 fish on the center on my pink foil back color and one fish on my red color starboard side directional. Never found the bigger grade, all fish were 20-45 pounders. I’ll be posting pics on my Instagram in the coming days @calimade_lures if anyone wants to check it out.

Upvote 0

jughead

Jun 10, 2006
Alpine
Name
John
Boat Name
24 Seaswirl striper
Congratulations on the bluefin. Can you tell me what is a directional spreader bar? Are there different squids in different locations on the bar?

Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat Name
Congratulations on the bluefin. Can you tell me what is a directional spreader bar? Are there different squids in different locations on the bar?
Similar concept to a planer board.

The front bird on the bar has a “rudder” that will pull it out to either the port or starboard side, so they run out at an angle rather than straight back.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2015
Huntington harbor
Name
Andrew
Boat Name
Everglades cc

It has a fin on the bottom acting like a rudder that pushes it out to starboard or port side. It allows you to run multiple at one time easily.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat Name
26 Blackman Billfisher
Probably didn't gofar enough down for the night bite; awesome next day with the spreader. Have you ever got a double going on 2 spreaders?

Thanks for the detailed Report!

Upvote 0
May 20, 2015
Huntington harbor
Name
Andrew
Boat Name
Everglades cc
Probably didn't gofar enough down for the night bite; awesome next day with the spreader. Have you ever got a double going on 2 spreaders?

Thanks for the detailed Report!

Yes I usually run 3 at once and occasionally will get doubles going. still haven’t had the triple (YET!). Sometimes we’ll get a single going then double up while bringing the others in.

Upvote 0

Tifoso

CA Halibut,DoDos,YT,Albies,Rockfish,Lings,Crappie
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    🚤
    Report from yesterday 5/21. I got the chance to work second on board the Wild Thing this weekend. Plan was to try to get on the night bite down south for the jig fishing and then see what we could get to go during the day. We got to the zone around the 238 and started to meter around for something to set up on. Never found a good school in the dark and had no luck jigging. After grey light came around we started to cover some more ground in that zone. Very slow with zero surface signal and very few marks for us. Our bait wasn’t doing so great and most rolled. We set up on a paddy out there and were metering some fish down deep under it but no luck. Got my CaliMade Lures spreader bars out and kept looking. Blind strike around 8am 31 31 over 117 14. Later on at 31 35 over 117 10 we had another hook up and got it on the boat. Still very slow with not a lot of life. FINALLY at around 4:45 things started to come to life for us. Heading north starting at 31 42 over 117 16 ending 31 51 over 117 15 we put 6 more bluefin on the boat. All of the fish on the spreader bars. 6.5-7 knots was the best speed and they were biting it wayyy back. My previous trip the fish were biting the directional bars close in but this trip we only had one on the directional with the rest coming off the center really far back. 7 fish on the center on my pink foil back color and one fish on my red color starboard side directional. Never found the bigger grade, all fish were 20-45 pounders. I’ll be posting pics on my Instagram in the coming days @calimade_lures if anyone wants to check it out.
    Great report. Thank you!

Upvote 0