PENN

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
I hate it when the weather forecast calls for decent conditions the night before and then changes to shit before the alarm clock goes off. Oh well. We left SD harbor at 6:30 am with a couple of scoops of beautiful sardines and a hell of a lot of mackerel. We made our way south of the 425 in a super sloppy short period swell, hard to spot a kelp in the crappy conditions. Must have been a dozen bluefin pens and tenders at the 425, we stayed 500 yards plus away from them. Headed back up Coronado Canyon as the swells and winds began to subside, and starting finding kelps. We had 3 kelps that contributed to our 13 yellowtail count, stopped on about another dozen kelps that weren't holding. Here are the numbers of a couple kelps that produced:

Had some decent quality fish, a few were farmed for various reasons, all in all another great day on the water. Pulled a daisy chain cedar plug and halco for 50 miles for nothing, no sign of bluefin or bonito. A week ago we had triple limits of yellowtail on the first kelp, which kind of spoiled me, today we had to work at it all day to scratch out a respectable count. Everything was caught on either a surface iron or sardine flylined on 20 lb fluro. Didn't try any of the mackerel as I wanted to save it for halibut this upcoming weekend. Hope this helps in you're brave enough to go out in the next couple of days, looks like it's going to be victory at sea conditions for a bit.

Scott pulling.jpg

coming to gaff.jpg

Scotts yeller.jpg

mikey likes it.jpg

nice haul.jpg

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Nice report! Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    I hate it when the weather forecast calls for decent conditions the night before and then changes to shit before the alarm clock goes off. Oh well....

Here are the numbers of a couple kelps that produced:

I can relate because that happened to us Sunday, May 16th. Nice conditions leading up all the way through Saturday. Woke up to slop and wind conditions on Sunday.

Good read, thank you for sharing numbers too. Sometimes the numbers can make another guys day. Solid grade YT!! 👍

Upvote 0