naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
I had chance to go out on Saturday 5/16/2020. Left davies harbor around 6:30 and headed to horseshoe area, you could find patch of red tide here and there but it was pretty much gone. Water color was green, temp was 63 inside the harbor, and 64 at horse shoe. Rollers were big in early morning, but it was far enough apart so ride was not bad. I started fishing on top of a wreck and metering ton of fish, but was not even getting a nibble. Early in the morning, I had my mind set on drone filming and it seemed like it was not possible with those big rollers passing by. So, I decided to move to Izor's, and I always had better luck at Izors reef. At izor's I set spotlock at one of the high point and again I was metering ton of fish. but once again, bite wasn't great. As time went on, weather turned beautiful, rollers laid down and the day was almost perfect.
Ended day with 4 calico, none legal, 1 white fish, 1 sheephead. None kept. Water visibility was not great but still good. At horseshoe there were some surface action with bait fish, I threw cold sniper at it, but couldn't hook up to any. At izor, ton of dolphins passed by, several times, birds were diving in distance. So there were ton of life out there. Still learning on how to control underwater drone, but had much better experience than last time.

After viewing the underwater footage at home, looking at how much fish is at izor's, I think I need some research, or lesson on how to catch fish. There were hundreds of calicos, sheephead right under the boat, and I couldn't hook up. But that's fishing, and still had wonderful time. Can't wait to go out there again.

Last edited:

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Fly-lining live squid, sardines or anchovies would have been the ticket. Those fish at Izors have seen it all. Also, bottom bounce the sand outside the reef, there are some nice halibut around! Cool vid!

Reactions: naldodook

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Thanks for the report and video.

Interesting to see what it looks like under there.

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
Love the underwater videos!

Just a suggestion for future videos -- It would be really interesting to see what your sonar screen looked like at the same time -- e.g. was it "fuzz" or "worms"?
I'll do that next time. As far as I remember it, it was fuzz mostly, with worms mixed in.

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Cool video. Just keep tryin'. You're on the right track. Time on the water.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Cool video and report.

DFG has still images of Izors (Bolsa Chica Reef) that look just like your video. The sand bass are in the structure and the calico bass are typically above. If you anchor correctly and chum cut sardines, the calicos will soon be eating from your hand. We did this Saturday and landed 60+ calicos, me on the fly rod ( #1 olive clouser) and Nicholas fishing a small megabait. Most of the calicos are just short of 14" but loads of fun to C&R.

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
Cool video,I liked to see the whole day fishing video since I’m stuck at home.

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Reminds me of many days where the meter is lit up and all the fish have lockjaw! Cool!