Name
Jeremy
Boat
Boat Hoe
Sorry for the late report.

Short Report:
19 Anglers
31 BFT (55-120lbs)

Back in February I was invited to go on a private charter aboard the Daiwa Pacific. A couple weeks before our trip the boat was purchased by Cpt Mike who used to run the Malihini back in the day. Awesome! That dude is real fishy, and he rolls with a great crew.

Fri 5/14 @ 8pm we shoved off about the same time as the rest of the fleet. It was crowded at the landing to say the least. The boat was already baited up and ready to roll. Our charter group consisted of mostly out of towners (rent rods) except for about 6 of us so the journey out entailed lot of teaching and explaining how things were going to work.

Capt. Mike advises us most of the fleet is heading north to Clemente and he is going to go the opposite direction and stay away from the fleet. Reminds me of the Pacific Queen, I like this already. He said we would be in the zone near 3am and we would start fishing near the same time as the bite had been decent in the dark.

Sat 5/15 @ 3:30am boat slows down I run up top and get ready. No one else gets up... 4am we mark a good school down deep, the crew members and myself start dropping various flat falls. No love. This goes on through grey light, then others finally start waking up. I go back down below to take a nap. Half asleep I hear capt say he's going to work back to the warmer water in the same area we started in the dark since he wasn't seeing much in the colder water.

About 9am he calls for a chum line, the fish are stacked under the boat and this is the best chance he's seen so far. Then he starts yelling they are coming up, they're coming up, they're responding! Boom, first fish is on sinker rig live bait. Then FRESH ONE and we start seeing fish explode on the chum every couple minutes. This drift will last us until after the sun goes down. We had 1 or 2 hanging pretty much all day.

PXL_20210516_014116656.jpg

After an hour it seemed they didn't want the sinker rig anymore, they wanted a fresh lively fly line bait and with the grade of fish being 60-70lbs there were a lot of casualties in the beginning. I think we went 2 for 7 on the first flurry of fish. A couple hours go by and the crew has been hooking handing fish to all of the out of towners and now they are "tapping out" after their battle, heading back to the galley one by one leaving plenty of room at the rail. By now I've had two short bites on butt hooked dine and one thump on the 100g but nothing stuck. I crack a beer and tell myself now is the time... I ask the deckhand to fish out a prime bait from the tank. I nose hook this one and go for the long soak. Finally!! I get picked up and it sticks.... we start the tug of war on my 40lb set up. After almost an hour we get deep color and the deckhand says oh shit, I'm thinking somethings wrong so I ask WTF? Oh nothing, it's just a bigger one... a couple minutes later which seems like eternity we have high fives all around.

100077300959_32557.jpg

FB_IMG_1621196029431.jpg

OK now I need a break and join the out of towners in the galley for a couple beers to recuperate. Head back about an hour later and land another 65lb or so and then start hook and handing to whoever was still fishing. The crew was still doing the same thing to make sure everyone had plenty of fish to take home.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to Capt. Mike, Capt. Rick, D, Kevin, & Travis for their hard work, customer service, and help in creating a trip of a lifetime. The new owner of the Daiwa Pacific runs an awesome operation.

100038700525_168409.jpg

PXL_20210516_020915769.jpg

PXL_20210516_023430386.MP.jpg

PXL_20210516_015301967._exported_1332_1621180604170.jpg

PXL_20210515_174608214.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT report, pics, info Jeremy, and NICE FISH everyone! That boat has always been fishy, since the Albacore years.

This might be the boat that had 4 Bigeye Tuna hit the trolling jigs & ripped the entire stern rail and posts out into the blue years ago. That or another smaller boat at H&M. Been years ago. LOL

Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    Thanks for the report. On the long battle, what did you have your drag set to and did you make any adjustments during the fight?

Reactions: halibutslayer
    halibutslayer
    halibutslayer
    Didn't use a scale to set it but was on the tighter side. After I gained back half the reel of braid I pushed the drag up one click.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    GREAT report, pics, info Jeremy, and NICE FISH everyone! That boat has always been fishy, since the Albacore years.

This might be the boat that had 4 Bigeye Tuna hit the trolling jigs & ripped the entire stern rail and posts out into the blue years ago. That or another smaller boat at H&M. Been years ago. LOL
    The malihini lost a rail from the gate to the corner in 78..along with ten or so lucky customers.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0