spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat Name
any chance I get
I'd been watching the weather leading into yesterday for a few days, and with the bitchen forecast that was predicted for Monday, and unable to soak a line Sunday due to Mothers Day, I opted to try my like for a San Diego Yellowtail mop up. I thought the warm high pressure would spark a decent bite, at least that's what I thought.
Mondays fishig was slow at best, very mimimal surface activity, and what fish did pop seemed pretty lethargic, with deep slow rolling boils, when we saw one, not frothing around busting aggressively.
We did land 19 mixed grade Yellows, the smallest being about 10lbs, and the largest around 22lbs, the majority of our 19 fish were 15lbs, half hooked on Sardine and the other half on Surface Jigs. We experienced screaming downhill current all day long, and the fish we did mange were all along the shallows, in some cases you could see the bottom where we were anchored.
I signed up thinking it would be a light load, the night before when I checked the reservations I only saw 12 signed up, but ended up with 55 breathers so folks were rubbing elbows and they had some massive tangles. I just tried to stay happy and continued to be bobbing & weaving and never wanted to end up in the clustered zoo of anglers kniting socks with there loose lines. The one thing I will say is when fishing with a lot of anglers with such a strong current, you have to cast off the sides of the boat and walk it down. Casting in the middle of the stern will only contribute to not only tangling yourself but also tangle many others, so cast off the side and then proceed to physically (with your feet) follow your line. Casting in the middle of the stern, over the top of several lines only gets you into trouble. I understand with 55 anglers it's frustrating but working togther to keep from getting tangled will translate into more bites.
Most our fish came late in the day, I landed one of the 19 fish we had, one of the stock 15lbers hooked on a 7x on my Ulua on 50lb, it never took any line so deckhand Renee says "SPIKE, THROW HIM ON!" and it was fun to get some redemption after a long few hours.
A few minutes later I make this long cast and only get two cranks in before a slug yellow blew up on my jig! It began screaming out line and it felt like a hog, I was able to get him coming back to the boat but then again he took a big long screaming run down towards the bottom, I was missing 3/4's of my spool of a Trinidad 30, and where we were anchored you could clearly see the bottom and the fish housed me, say la vee, and that is how our day finished.
Fishing was on the slow side for us, a lot of folks, but still better than a day of work. The crew of the San Diego continue to shine and do a phenomenal job, I have never been on that boat and not caught a Yellow, and for four trips this year aboard that rig I'm up to 11, so I can't complain I've been very fortunate, but I still would have loved to have another chance on that Slug.

Upvote 0

AlbieNut

Almost A Member
Jul 23, 2003
Otay Ranch, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Frank
Boat Name
Century 2300 CC
I'd been watching the weather leading into yesterday for a few days, and with the bitchen forecast that was predicted for Monday, and unable to soak a line Sunday due to Mothers Day, I opted to try my like for a San Diego Yellowtail mop up. I thought the warm high pressure would spark a decent bite, at least that's what I thought.
Mondays fishig was slow at best, very mimimal surface activity, and what fish did pop seemed pretty lethargic, with deep slow rolling boils, when we saw one, not frothing around busting aggressively. .

We had the same plans and expectations for Monday as well. Nice sunny day but the wind was blowing big time. The boat traffic at the middle grounds look like it was a weekend.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat Name
N/A
The big ones seem to get big only when they learn to use the rocks as a defense mechanism. Bummer on the loss tail, congrats on the landed one.

Upvote 0

Turkey Slayer

Apr 20, 2006
San Diego
Name
Randy
Boat Name
Waiting for my boat to come in
Just a few people on today's trip!!

Attachments

• cattle boat 1.jpg
    cattle boat 1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,578
Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Rocked on 50lb. on the surface iron...best old 7x I ever had went that way. Thanks for the report Spike, 11 more than I have this year.

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat Name
    Royal Polaris
    Mondays fishig was slow at best, very mimimal surface activity, and what fish did pop seemed pretty lethargic, with deep slow rolling boils, when we saw one, not frothing around busting aggressively.
    We did land 19 mixed grade Yellows, the smallest being about 10lbs, and the largest around 22lbs, the majority of our 19 fish were 15lbs, half hooked on Sardine and the other half on Surface Jigs. We experienced screaming downhill current all day long, and the fish we did mange were all along the shallows, in some cases you could see the bottom where we were anchored.
    I signed up thinking it would be a light load, the night before when I checked the reservations I only saw 12 signed up, but ended up with 55 breathers so folks were rubbing elbows and they had some massive tangles. I just tried to stay happy and continued to be bobbing & weaving and never wanted to end up in the clustered zoo of anglers kniting socks with there loose lines. The one thing I will say is when fishing with a lot of anglers with such a strong current, you have to cast off the sides of the boat and walk it down. Casting in the middle of the stern will only contribute to not only tangling yourself but also tangle many others, so cast off the side and then proceed to physically (with your feet) follow your line. Casting in the middle of the stern, over the top of several lines only gets you into trouble. I understand with 55 anglers it's frustrating but working togther to keep from getting tangled will translate into more bites.
    Most our fish came late in the day, I landed one of the 19 fish we had, one of the stock 15lbers hooked on a 7x on my Ulua on 50lb, it never took any line so deckhand Renee says "SPIKE, THROW HIM ON!" and it was fun to get some redemption after a long few hours.
    A few minutes later I make this long cast and only get two cranks in before a slug yellow blew up on my jig! It began screaming out line and it felt like a hog, I was able to get him coming back to the boat but then again he took a big long screaming run down towards the bottom, I was missing 3/4's of my spool of a Trinidad 30, and where we were anchored you could clearly see the bottom and the fish housed me, say la vee, and that is how our day finished.
    Fishing was on the slow side for us, a lot of folks, but still better than a day of work. The crew of the San Diego continue to shine and do a phenomenal job, I have never been on that boat and not caught a Yellow, and for four trips this year aboard that rig I'm up to 11, so I can't complain I've been very fortunate, but I still would have loved to have another chance on that Slug.

Thanks for the report. I can't believe they stacked 55 anglers on the boat...that's crazy. I understand the need for business, but safety issues rise significantly when you're touching elbows at the rail. Good luck.

Upvote 0

shrimpcocktail

PURO SPINNING REELS Y QUE
    Mar 7, 2006
    oceanside
    WWW.WHORES.COM
    Name
    BORRACHITO
    Boat Name
    no boat
    wow!!! a fuking baby stroller??? wtf?? private charters anywhere in baja. thats the way 2 go..

Upvote 0

spike

Mar 6, 2006
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    Spike Ivins
    Boat Name
    any chance I get
    Let me say that the stroller photo did not come from me, and that is not the San Diego in the photo, that pic came from the Jungle from the looks of it, LA.
    As for the boat and the amount of anglers, I know as we pulled away that it would be a strugle but the San Diego is a good boat, I was just a little shocked that midweek they were nearly full after a Sunday with only 17. I was the same guy texting, facebooking and calling trying to get friends to come along trying to fill the boat up because it was very light the day before departure, I thought it may cancel, less then 10 breathers on the online schedule. I wanted to go!
    As AJ Smith says "It is what it is" but as I recall you 619ers didn't much like him either. I'll be back on the SD, best 3/4 day boat on the coast.

And yes Alex & Gabe, that's why I did the trip, I knew it would probably be my last one till Memorial Day, looking forward to a light load and fun fishing.

Upvote 0

Boiler Maker

Bruiser Bluefin Expert
    Apr 2, 2003
    Mira Mesa
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    Boiler Maker
    "Most our fish came late in the day, I landed one of the 19 fish we had, one of the stock 15lbers hooked on a 7x on my Ulua on 50lb, it never took any line so deckhand Renee says "SPIKE, THROW HIM ON!" and it was fun to get some redemption after a long few hours.
    A few minutes later I make this long cast and only get two cranks in before a slug yellow blew up on my jig! It began screaming out line and it felt like a hog, I was able to get him coming back to the boat but then again he took a big long screaming run down towards the bottom, I was missing 3/4's of my spool of a Trinidad 30, and where we were anchored you could clearly see the bottom and the fish housed me, say la vee, and that is how our day finished. "

Hey Spike, I was on the AlbieNut. Saw you guys anchored up late in the day at the NE side of south island (I think that was the San Diego). Pretty close too I thought. I assume this is where you got the YT. Reason I ask is we worked the shit out of that area and didn't even get a bite. Go Figure. Glad you got one...we were talking about what it must be like on that boat.

Jerry

Upvote 0

ib12fish

Semper Fi
    May 6, 2005
    Escondido, Ca.
    Name
    Tommie
    Boat Name
    Polaris Supreme
    Let me say that the stroller photo did not come from me, and that is not the San Diego in the photo, that pic came from the Jungle from the looks of it, LA.
    As for the boat and the amount of anglers, I know as we pulled away that it would be a strugle but the San Diego is a good boat, I was just a little shocked that midweek they were nearly full after a Sunday with only 17. I was the same guy texting, facebooking and calling trying to get friends to come along trying to fill the boat up because it was very light the day before departure, I thought it may cancel, less then 10 breathers on the online schedule. I wanted to go!
    As AJ Smith says "It is what it is" but as I recall you 619ers didn't much like him either. I'll be back on the SD, best 3/4 day boat on the coast.

And yes Alex & Gabe, that's why I did the trip, I knew it would probably be my last one till Memorial Day, looking forward to a light load and fun fishing.
    I was about to say WTF 11 I didn't think that the boat changed that much since I worked on it back in 2003-2005

Upvote 0