4X4 Vans need info

Discussion in 'Camping & 4x4' started by Crash, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Crash

Crash Member

Name:
    Robert Young
    Boat:
    20' Skippy
    I am wanting to buy/order a chevy 3/4 ton utility van, I have contacted several dealers and all tell me special order only. Is this really the case I have to think states other than cali would have them in inventory, any info is much appreciated.

2. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Check with quigley4x4.com,I think they do most of the conversions for sportsmobile and many others,if anyone knows they will,short of that factory order.

Vladsickle likes this.
  3. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    I had a Quigley 4x4 conversion 2000 Chevy Express. Quigley only does the conversions to new vans. Last I heard it was around 20k.

4. swizler

swizler Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 custom
    Mercedes makes a 4+4 diesel van, a buddy of mine goes to Mex all the time and loves it.

5. dogwillhunt

dogwillhunt Newbie

Name:
    Nelson
    Boat:
    'bout time
    Last year while I was in Boise, ID the Dennis Dillon GMC had vans on theit lot. They were converted by Advanced 4x4 out of utah.
    Good luck

6. jasper hickman

jasper hickman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    26' sea master, RED BEARD
    I’ve got a little knowledge about this, researched quite a bit untill I ended up building my own.

I haven’t kept up on the newer rigs so post 2011 vehicles I’m not 100% sure on the brand new rigs.

So none of the manufacturers (Chevy/ford) build their own 4x4 van, we’re not talking about AWD Astro vans here. If you buy a new factory 4x4 van they have been customized by a few specific shops that are qualified to do a OEM certified conversion to 4x4. That way if you do buy a new rig it will still be covered by your factory warranty.

If your looking for a 4x4 van that you plan on actually using for off road stuff you’ll most likely want a Ford ecoline. The ecoline is by for the easiest to convert to 4wd thus is by far the cheaper option. The Chevy frame is a C channel frame vs the ecoline which is a box frame, this means the Chevy frame will need significant reinforcements to the frame to minimize twisting and bending. If it’s not been reinforced stay clear! The ford ecoline frame is also the same width as the F series frame so the Dana 60 axle swap is incredibly easy thus cheaper. Trying to slap a Dana 60 on a van with IMS is no small feat.

I really wanted a diesel rig and after going back and forth I ended up ordering all the stuff from Ujoint off-road and building my own. It really turned out to be preatty easy. I would recommend checking out Ujoint off-road regardless, the dude who runs it is a wealth of information and seemed really happy to help out.

One_Leg likes this.
  7. jasper hickman

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    3CF9D03A-C2B3-4EE6-A83E-A83CBE606853.jpeg 1191F7B3-0389-4E37-B1A3-C676E856CFEF.jpeg I ended up building this, it’s a big dog!

8. jasper hickman

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    Nw quadvans in Portland Oregon usually carry some inventory as well