neue

Captain
Sep 17, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sporties
Happy 4th everyone! After fishing freshwater on Saturday (Diamond Valley Lake), and locally on Sunday (the boiler rocks near the San Clemente pier), my son, Max, and I decided to repeat our local fishing efforts on the 4th. Saturday's fishing was excellent for calico bass (a few 5-6lbs and many over 3, almost like the islands). He got his first fish at the fuel dock (a 21 inch halibut). We headed out, anchored near the pier and proceeded to catch some big bass (all released). A buddy of mine sent me a text indicating some yellowtail action toward the 14 mile bank on Saturday and a report that some dorado had been seen (I misread his text and thought that he had just caught a dorado this morning). It was about noon, and Max and I immediately pulled anchor and headed back to the harbor for more fuel for an offshore trip (we had planned to just sit at anchor all day). We made a beeline for the 14 mile bank. On the way, we stopped on about 5 kelps (too small to call them paddies). On one kelp, Max said he saw a fish follow his bait (sardine), but it didn't bite -- probably a small yellow. There were lots of signs of life near the 14 mile bank, birds working bait on the surface -- we suspected bonito, but I didn't see any fish. The water temp was 69-70. We turned and headed toward the 279/267. Hit a couple of additional kelps for nothing. The water was a little warmer toward the 279, close to 71 degrees, and there were lots of signs of life (bait balls on the sonar). Right at the 279 we found another kelp. Max picked the smallest sardine and cast it with his Lexa 300 baitcaster rig. After a bit of a soak, he got picked up. He fought it for a while, and it made long runs and jumped several times. I would have had great GoPro action if I had actually pressed record on the camera (I thought I did, and heard it beep, but I goofed). Stuck the gaff right in the head, and celebrated victory. Our first offshore fish this season! We really weren't prepared to keep any fish and most our ice had melted, so we jammed it in the kill bag (my small one which was serving as a cooler for our drinks) and decided to call it a day. I served it for dinner with some mango salsa and cilantro, the first of several mahi mahi dinners we are going to have this week. Go get 'em.

DSC03430-pa1.jpg
DSC03428-pa1.jpg
DSC03435-pa1.jpg

Upvote 0

Ripnsumlip

Hooooook upppppp!!!!
Jul 8, 2007
SoCal
Name
Paul
Boat
Edgewater 265CC
Happy 4th everyone! After fishing freshwater on Saturday (Diamond Valley Lake), and locally on Sunday (the boiler rocks near the San Clemente pier), my son, Max, and I decided to repeat our local fishing efforts on the 4th. Saturday's fishing was excellent for calico bass (a few 5-6lbs and many over 3, almost like the islands). He got his first fish at the fuel dock (a 21 inch halibut). We headed out, anchored near the pier and proceeded to catch some big bass (all released). A buddy of mine sent me a text indicating some yellowtail action toward the 14 mile bank on Saturday and a report that some dorado had been seen (I misread his text and thought that he had just caught a dorado this morning). It was about noon, and Max and I immediately pulled anchor and headed back to the harbor for more fuel for an offshore trip (we had planned to just sit at anchor all day). We made a beeline for the 14 mile bank. On the way, we stopped on about 5 kelps (too small to call them paddies). On one kelp, Max said he saw a fish follow his bait (sardine), but it didn't bite -- probably a small yellow. There were lots of signs of life near the 14 mile bank, birds working bait on the surface -- we suspected bonito, but I didn't see any fish. The water temp was 69-70. We turned and headed toward the 279/267. Hit a couple of additional kelps for nothing. The water was a little warmer toward the 279, close to 71 degrees, and there were lots of signs of life (bait balls on the sonar). Right at the 279 we found another kelp. Max picked the smallest sardine and cast it with his Lexa 300 baitcaster rig. After a bit of a soak, he got picked up. He fought it for a while, and it made long runs and jumped several times. I would have had great GoPro action if I had actually pressed record on the camera (I thought I did, and heard it beep, but I goofed). Stuck the gaff right in the head, and celebrated victory. Our first offshore fish this season! We really weren't prepared to keep any fish and most our ice had melted, so we jammed it in the kill bag (my small one which was serving as a cooler for our drinks) and decided to call it a day. I served it for dinner with some mango salsa and cilantro, the first of several mahi mahi dinners we are going to have this week. Go get 'em.

View attachment 773729 View attachment 773730 View attachment 773731

Hey Mike,

Congratulations on a great day on the water with your son Max. I can't wait until the Dodo's are up here in numbers... My son and I are gunna have a blast......

Thanks for the post and the pictures. Hope to share a paddy with you guys this summer.....

Paul

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Sweet! :appl:

I knew it was just a matter of time with the water pushing 71-73. With TS Agatha and Blas moving up from Baja, water temps should continue to rise.

Upvote 0

mulegemike

May 7, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
Mike
Boat
Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
Hey Mike congrats to you and your son! I heard around the docks you guys got one. We went looking Sunday but only found a few rats. Conditions sure feel good hopefully more move in soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
I really can't Get enough of the kids kicking ass. good on him. Good on you. great day eat well boys.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Outstanding day with your son. Nothing is better. Congrats of the 1st local Dodo of the season, at least that was posted.

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Nice ones! Congrats

Upvote 0

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Heard of a few do do's around the 14 the past few days. Will head out that way Friday to give it a look. Your son is killin' it this summer, good on him! Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0