Offshore 499 to SBI. Bluefin advice

Bradyxxx

• Sep 21, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Braden
    Boat Name
    Catchalot
    I personally have never once had a crimp fail. I've had knots fail. But I was taught to use the RIGHT size of double-sleeve crimps, and use the right tool, and crimp with care and carefully check the end result. After watching a lot of fish being caught, and lost, over more than six decades I've learned that being hasty and overconfident with knots and any other part of your connections to a fish is a time-bomb waiting to go off. Usually just outside of gaff reach.
    I agree with you, as I have never had a crimp fail. That is the way I always rig with heavier leader.
    I have read on here from a lot of different posts that guys are tying leader directly to their
    madmac or halos with good success.
    Even Fish dope Mentioned it.
    I guess it must swim better or better hook up ratio?
    I’m just trying to optimize my tackle and be prepared as much as possible for what works best.
    As you know what they say, failing to prepare is preparing for failure!

Upvote 0

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
    LA CA USA
    Name
    Chuck Roast
    Boat Name
    20' Skip
    Great quote that John wooden used to say to his UCLA Basketball team back in the 60's. 10 or 11 NCAA Championships. I would use as heavy of gear as possible when trolling for those big mean bluefin! It is not finess fishing. Kite gear without the kite. 50 size internationals older or new with 2 speeds. 150+ # spectra and a short bite leader 300#. Older shorter rods like the old Calstar tuna strokers 6455xxh etc...
    Hook em' them show em' who's boss!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I agree with you, as I have never had a crimp fail. That is the way I always rig with heavier leader.
    I have read on here from a lot of different posts that guys are tying leader directly to their
    madmac or halos with good success.
    Even Fish dope Mentioned it.
    I guess it must swim better or better hook up ratio?
    I’m just trying to optimize my tackle and be prepared as much as possible for what works best.
    As you know what they say, failing to prepare is preparing for failure!

I never had a crimp fail AFTER I tested it. Some of the aluminum crimps are very close in size and if you use too large a sleeve by accident, the crimps can fail. I was making my own spreader bars and had two different leader size for the main and the teasers. As soon as I test it, it started to slip a bit at max tension. I obviously used the wrong sleeve size. That is why its important to always test it after you are done crimping and pull as hard as you can. Mistakes can happen. If the stainless chaff protector starts to deform, I would re-crimp again because it has to be on tight or it gives just enough room to deform them. I might need to try a different type of chaff protector next time.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat Name
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    We had great success this weekend slow trolling Spanish macs 4/5. We could not get bit on lures, spreaders halcos etc. no matter how many times we trolled around huge foamers.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat Name
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    View attachment 140852269 lb is to light. 100 minimum when high speed trolling.

Match the hatch. We crushhed the foamers with these. Notice how small they are and that they look like what the BFTs are keyed in on?
    Good luck next time.
    That is a very good looking color. The meatballs we saw up close had a very gold color to them.

Upvote 0

Keokix21grams

Almost A Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    California
    Name
    Danny
    Boat Name
    Parker 2120
    I am far from being knowledgeable with those bastard bfts, but we are having some success this year scoring BFTs 4 out of 5 trips

We do not bring bait
    We go on BFT or bust trip, I wont slow down for a kelp, I wont stop on breezer yellows or mahis, I wont go codding or bass fishing just to bring something home, fuck that

I bring helium, kites, California Flyers and ballooons

I have a pile of Madmacs, DTX minnows and Madscads for trolling, I troll all of them with 200lb Jinkai mono leaders, straight tied to the lures, no crimps, no snaps, no swivels. Minimum 100lb braid and Penn 30 VISXs or larger. Every time we hook, fish land a fish we replace the leader

I have 12 spreader bars, most are 11" to 15" squids, with a few side trackers of 9" squids. All of my spreader bars have cigar floats, very important

We constantly change up what we are dragging, at times we will have DTX minnows out 50 yds, Madmacs 200 yds, spreader bars out 250 to 300 yds

Just our style, not perfect but it is working for us now
    How fast are you trolling the minnows?

Reactions: Reel_Brew
    Upvote 0