Offshore 475 5-12 bigger Yellows with a mako cherry on top!

Charlesregan

Jun 6, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
CHARLES REGAN
Boat
Not yet!!
Guessing but maybe 125 pounds on the mako. Those yellows do look bigger than most kelp yellows this year. Thanks for the report and congrats on a good day

Reactions: SMYLEE
SMYLEE
SMYLEE
Yep there a lot bigger then last years patty YT that's for sure.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Isaltyvair1980

Isaltyvair1980
Nov 4, 2019
Santa Ana
Name
Isaiah
Boat
2002 Edgewater 185
Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for the report:) my son and I had a similar trip last year, solid yellows/ complete with shark, hooked him 3 times and he broke everything we had 😂
Can’t wait to get my tune up and get out there.

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for the report:) my son and I had a similar trip last year, solid yellows/ complete with shark, hooked him 3 times and he broke everything we had 😂
Can’t wait to get my tune up and get out there.
The season has begun! Have a great season brotha! Did it break your gear? Or did you bring it onboard and it broke everything topside?

Reactions: Isaltyvair1980
Isaltyvair1980
Isaltyvair1980
Thanks Man, you as well!! Hooked it on 2 jigs 40 and 50lb and he ate both for about 5 second before we got sawed off. Then got him on dead bait on 40 and actually fought him for a few minutes before he went airborne and broke us off. Crazy.
not sure I would have tried to zombie him though😬
Upvote 0
SMYLEE
SMYLEE
All sharks go to sleep! It's a trip! But it works!
Catatonic is the correct word but I've always heard it called "zoning"
A shark!. It's crazy how many lines if yours it bit!!!!
Upvote 0
Isaltyvair1980
Isaltyvair1980
Haha. Yeah he hung around the boat for what seemed like 30 minutes. We were chumming dead’s the whole time. He would leave then pop up on the opposite side of the boat. But yeah it was a cool way to end the day.
Upvote 0

BlueWater Pursuit

Fin’Atic
Sep 1, 2014
Fallbrook
Name
RC
Boat
Wellcraft 29 CCF Twin Yamaha 250 Simrad
We caught a 5ft mako years ago and it was 90lbs almost exactly so I agree with Charles that one I’d guess would be 125 at minimum.
Nice job, as you know they make Tasty Steak but I understand saving it for another day!

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
San Diego
Name
walter heim
Boat
Bayrunner
Good job on the mako. Glad you released it. Sharks are slow to reproduce. I have handled probably hundreds of makos, but never tried to put one to sleep. I have done small blues. They go nuts if you put your hand on their nose and flip them over. I did eight chumming trips for sharks last year and got only one mako. I have not killed a mako since 2005.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Good job on the mako. Glad you released it. Sharks are slow to reproduce. I have handled probably hundreds of makos, but never tried to put one to sleep. I have done small blues. They go nuts if you put your hand on their nose and flip them over. I did eight chumming trips for sharks last year and got only one mako. I have not killed a mako since 2005.
Yea I've gotten a lot of why didn't you take it home from my fleet buddies but a 6' mako is so small compared to what they can truly become. There giants. I've never really had success with makos on the chum. They've always come on the troll. Or bonito fishing. They love them some bonito schools! That would be one for the books, putting a Blue to sleep👍🏼. Yea there crazy sharks to. compared the kinder 7 gills I'm used to turning over and swimming until they're out

Last edited:
Upvote 0

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
Great day! 35 years ago I caught a 6' Mako, weighed it, 130lbs. Was on a work/shark trip so I split it with all the guys so none of it went to waste. Lot of meat off that fish.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Nice report. Sucks to hear about the seiners. I thought they had their quota already ...
No all there netts are full. They just drag them around this time a year to better water conditions. They've got their quota👍🏼. I just fish the pins because there's usually loose schools in between the pins.
Great day! 35 years ago I caught a 6' Mako, weighed it, 130lbs. Was on a work/shark trip so I split it with all the guys so none of it went to waste. Lot of meat off that fish.
nice! No dont get me wrong ain't nothing wrong with eating a delicious mako! I've done it! And man do they feed a lot of people! Nice I'm getting good results on the weights here! I'm glad I decided to ask. Instead of telling a fisherman's tail!

Reactions: yakdout
Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Foul hooking a mako is no fun . We foul a 5-600# mako last year while thresher fishing . Hooked same as yours on a tiagra 50w 130spectra to 80# . Faught it for 6hrs before breaking it off . It was every bit as big as the 500# thresher we got couple weeks ago . Scary having it next the boat . It charged the boat and took a bite of it through the gell coat . I had to pull the boat to repair it. . NO THANK TO THAT AGAIN ...

20200503_101002.jpg

20200503_100952.jpg

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Foul hooking a mako is no fun . We foul a 5-600# mako last year while thresher fishing . Hooked same as yours on a tiagra 50w 130spectra to 80# . Faught it for 6hrs before breaking it off . It was every bit as big as the 500# thresher we got couple weeks ago . Scary having it next the boat . It charged the boat and took a bite of it through the gell coat . I had to pull the boat to repair it. . NO THANK TO THAT AGAIN ...

View attachment 1280518

View attachment 1280519
    Yea that's crazy..... Leathal animals forsure. It's bad location to foul hook one to 🤦‍♂️ I had hooked it on a tranx 500 and I'm pretty sure new drags are in order. That little 6' mako made it look like it was hooked on bass gear or a tranx 300. I do love how explosive their fight is tho. When properly hooked. But once I realizedhow I hooked it..... I knew I was in forone hell of a tug of war. I don't know exactly how long it lasted but it felt like an hour. Of next to the boat-away from the boat. Over and over and over again. I am glad it didn't leave with line and lure in tow. I hate when that happens.

Reactions: madrugador
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Nice job on the Yellows and letting the Mako go.
    Patty YT this years looking good can't wait for the summer. But I just found out that makos are on the vulnerable list. I'm even more glad I let it go. Excellent eating but it's still young! When I was working deck. That little guy would have been gaffed in a hart beat!!! Everyone loves reading the daily fish counts and seeing a mako on the list.

Upvote 0