Offshore 475 5-12 bigger Yellows with a mako cherry on top!

PENN

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Went out yesterday found 58 degree COLD water all the way down. 226-302-371-425. Tones of patties all dry... So we drove south till we hit the temp brake. finally found 64 degree clear blue beautiful water on the knuckle. About a mile south of the 475 proper we found a giant patty full of YT.. and I mean THOUSANDS of YT. No rats all quality fish nothing under 10lb quite a few over 15lb. Picked through the 10lbrs to get our limits of 12-18lbrs (FINALLY quality patty YT) it was a WFO BITE. All to ourselves for at least 2 hours, with no boats in site, Or within radio distance (we kept trying to call others in.) decided to call it After catching and releasing way to many to count. To head back NW in quest for BF.

Found jumping BF on the 425 as we trolled through the seiners looking for loose tuna. They were everywhere. All different sizes. Plenty of breezers tones of sonar marks. Just couldn't get one on the hook. (Tried it all) lots of fish down there in between the pins.

As we got to the 371 we ran across boiling bonito and had a quick go on them👍🏼 But they were chased out by a big breezer. Once the tuna passed. A baby mako came cursing by. It had to be no longer then a 1.5' so I threw a stick bait out just for giggles. And the baby turned on it. But what happened next was unexpected. My line came tight but not from the baby. The fish broadsided and revealed a much bigger 6' mako and I foul hooked it. Right on the inside of the pectoral fin...🤦‍♂️ Shiiiiiiiiiiit...

After a tug of war I got the beast portside. I rolled it over on its back to calm it down. And worked on putting it to sleep, Once I got the mako "zoned" I was able to handle it. I had it tail locked with my left arm. While I cleaned all the copepods off its dorsal finns with my right arm, all while keeping its head in the water. After a good cleaning, belly scratch/grooming session. We got a quick measurement at 6' on the dot. Spent a minute unzoneing it and waking it back up and hand released the little guy to live another day. After that cherry we ran home and we're back in the slip at 3:30. All in all a GREAT DAY! Hopefully get on some BF soon. But I'll take quality party YT any day! Cheers!

Anybody have a guess at what a 6' mako weights?? It was a Solid fish. It appeared to be a male and it was THICK. I'd even say it was a fat mako.

IMG_5784.PNG

IMG_5787.PNG

IMG_5788.JPG

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5781.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Last edited:

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    tenor (2).gif

Well done! Awesome day. Good grade YT compared to the usual grade.

Do you lose much MPG with the extra weight of your big brassies? Really cool experience with the mako... with pics to prove it. I officially call "NO Bullshit".

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    View attachment 1279377

Well done! Awesome day. Good grade YT compared to the usual grade.

Do you lose much MPG with the extra weight of your big brassies? Really cool experience with the mako... with pics to prove it. I officially call "NO Bullshit".
    No loss in mpg.. and to be honest i only have 2 other witnesses. Both of which did not want to get close to that side of the boat. It all happens pretty quickly once I put it to sleep. I arm locked it romoved my treble. Cleaned its dorsal and gave a quick pat after measuring it. And let it go. It all took less then 5 minutes. I've put many sharks to sleep mainly giant 7 gills a few sandys and have been there To see another mako get zoned. So I just repeated what I've always done. Trust me... I've caught and killed a few 300-400lb mako down south. I wouldn't of handled it if I knew it wasn't asleep yet. These are ballistic animals. And once asleep they Turn into calm creatures. They go limp and kinda zombied. The exact opposite of what makos normally act like.
    (Kinda like a cold snake)

Last edited:
    Reactions: SaltH20Angler

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I once asked my grandfather why he kill shot gaffed the pups. Said he didn’t know what else to do with them and they were tasty.
    Props on the CPR/MMA(mixed mako arts).

Reactions: SMYLEE

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    These reports are really making me wonder if I really need to replace the axle on my trailer this weekend.....
    Awesome day, thanks for the report.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Cool report and pics....reminds me of Mr. Bill on SNL. LOL LOL
    NIce load of yellows. Great intel, and bluefin being bluefin

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice report and congrats! Lots of guys staying on the down low lately in these pics...
    :D

SMYLEE
    SMYLEE
    My brother who also uses this profile. Worked for version doing major (agencies) programming and product development. And the things he and his team built. Where so incredibly invasive. He had to walk away. If people knew what he knows..... NOBODY WOULD USE THE WEB.

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    Went out yesterday found 58 degree COLD water all the way down. 226-302-371-425. Tones of patties all dry... So we drove south till we hit the temp brake. finally found 64 degree clear blue beautiful water on the knuckle. About a mile south of the 475 proper we found a giant patty full of YT.. and I mean THOUSANDS of YT. No rats all quality fish nothing under 10lb quite a few over 15lb. Picked through the 10lbrs to get our limits of 12-18lbrs (FINALLY quality patty YT) it was a WFO BITE. All to ourselves for at least 2 hours, with no boats in site, Or within radio distance (we kept trying to call others in.) decided to call it After catching and releasing way to many to count. To head back NW in quest for BF.

Found jumping BF on the 425 as we trolled through the seiners looking for loose tuna. They were everywhere. All different sizes. Plenty of breezers tones of sonar marks. Just couldn't get one on the hook. (Tried it all) lots of fish down there in between the pins.

As we got to the 371 we ran across boiling bonito and had a quick go on them👍🏼 But they were chased out by a big breezer. Once the tuna passed. A baby mako came cursing by. It had to be no longer then a 1.5' so I threw a stick bait out just for giggles. And the baby turned on it. But what happened next was unexpected. My line came tight but not from the baby. The fish broadsided and revealed a much bigger 6' mako and I foul hooked it. Right on the inside of the pectoral fin...🤦‍♂️ Shiiiiiiiiiiit...

After a tug of war I got the beast portside. I rolled it over on its back to calm it down. And worked on putting it to sleep, Once I got the mako "zoned" I was able to handle it. I had it tail locked with my left arm. While I cleaned all the copepods off its dorsal finns with my right arm, all while keeping its head in the water. After a good cleaning, belly scratch/grooming session. We got a quick measurement at 6' on the dot. Spent a minute unzoneing it and waking it back up and hand released the little guy to live another day. After that cherry we ran home and we're back in the slip at 3:30. All in all a GREAT DAY! Hopefully get on some BF soon. But I'll take quality party YT any day! Cheers!

Anybody have a guess at what a 6' mako weights?? It was a Solid fish. It appeared to be a male and it was THICK. I'd even say it was a fat mako.

View attachment 1279356

View attachment 1279357

View attachment 1279358

View attachment 1279359

View attachment 1279360

View attachment 1279361
    Epic freaking report. Love the Mako story.

John