46 shorts, 4 legals...bug opener

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by "Shoe", Sep 30, 2018.

1. "Shoe"

"Shoe" Boats and Camaros (and fishing in between)

Name:
    Jeff Schumacher
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack open, 30’ flybridge
    Short version, oh wait the title WAS the short version lol. 5 nets, 46 shorts, 4 legals. Sea lions destroyed the bite around 9 so the rest of the time spent was a waste. Mackerel and squid for bait, with some of my custom dogfoodcicles thrown in. Haven’t been stopped by DFG in 20 years, but got boarded twice last night. They were also kind enough to run over one of the pots and cut me off so now we had 4 nets. Weather was beautiful and fairly flat seas with a light breeze. Good food and drink, shared with a friend that hadn’t ever lobstered before.

Long long long version
    Decided VERY short notice to hit the opener, even had to leave my friends BBQ before the food was served. Launched Dana (Mission Bay) at 5pm with 5000 other people. Headed toward the exit with the intent of trying some rocks all along the coast. About 100 yards short of open water I smell smoke and mentioned to my partner in crime (more on that later) that I hope the smoke is the boat in front of us. It wasn’t. Like an idiot I had ignored my gauges while motoring through the harbor because I was busy playing with the GPS, the radio, my dinner, etc. Temp gauge was on “red hot stupid!” so I shut it off immediately and started dropping the anchor, which of course jammed before setting leaving us 100 feet from the south jetty point heading for trouble. I flagged down a boat and my friend missed throwing them a rope 5 times before I got pissed and yelled he had 1 more try before we were on the rocks. Fortunately the other boat grabbed a gaff and grabbed the line since he missed again. Not joking, they pulled us clear at maybe 30 feet from contact. Thank you whomever you were.

I had them tow us about 200 yards, conveniently placed in a nice gap between other hoopers where we anchored up and literally threw our hoops from all sides of the boat and just tied them to cleats. Think of the fuel and light stick money I saved!! Well, we spent the next 4 hours hooping and eating and enjoying the great weather. The best action was actually in about 10 feet of water, with almost nothing on the 15-18 side. We kept a count of everything so those numbers are real, and we also got a sculpin and 5 mackerel while playing around. Oh yeah, we caught 1 lobster on a hook with squid, pretty funny especially since it was before sunset. Around 10 we were pulling empties while the sea lions and idiot divers messed with our nets so I said let’s go 1 more round and call for a tow since my motor is probably fried. It got so hot that the exhaust hoses going to the Y pipe had melted. DFG shows up and wants to board us after lurking in the dark and sneaking up behind us...whatever. For the next 20 minutes we get reviewed, searched, and lectured about proper measuring and paperwork since neither of us had filled out the 5 boxes on our cards yet. They were very professional but the lead guy discounted our lobster ruler and literally jammed his rounded corner version into the eye sockets until there was 1/16th “play” and called them shorts. Funny thing is they weren’t shorts with our brand new tool that wasn’t worn from years of use. So he tossed them back and forgave us the ticket, which I appreciate, but seriously those 2 would have passed inspection in any court. After they left we realized there was a short in the bilge flopping around that had slipped around the corner of the engine cover. Oops. Of course my friend immediately says I guess we should have left at 10. It didn’t matter, since once Towboat US got me back on the trailer and we pulled up, here’s another round of DFG waiting to pounce even though they’ve watched us hassling with trying to get a dead boat back on the trailer for quite some time. Thank guys, appreciate more aggravation after a long night as it’s almost 1am now. The kid looks in my tank and says “looks like all shorts” before measuring anything. I reminded him that we had already been boarded and checked by his buddies and could check with them but no.

Look, I’m tired and frustrated with my boat issues like probably a fried motor on the 1st day of the season so I sound irritated with DFG. The truth is we had a very cordial interaction and I was very respectful and cooperative. They have a job to do and I hate poachers so losing a couple isn’t the end of the world, but 6, 8 or 10 legals would have been a much better night considering what I’m probably facing for repairs.

In all it was a fun night, nobody got hurt, and I have my share of the catch for lunch with one of my sons today. Life really is good, and I thank God for creating such a wonderful world for us to enjoy. Oh and my wife doesn’t like lobster so there’s that blessing too.

-shoe

E58D86A8-D805-4D5C-B1DD-B720499F759B.jpeg 8D3DE63B-67AF-475B-9A07-164A8FCC0EF9.jpeg D60DD396-A998-4E53-BA2C-9511E8D542BD.png

2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Measure your gauges with a micrometer.There's a brand out that starts with a "P" that i've found to be short of 3.25 .Also a worn out gauge helps it doesn't hurt.

Bottom Line likes this.
  3. "Shoe"

Name:
    Jeff Schumacher
    Boat:
    DFG had the worn gauge, not a help for us. I’m not kidding the edge was visibly rounded and he jammed it in there really hard and said “when you see their eyes move like that you know you’ve got a good read.” Yeah right, now you’ve chipped the shell and they are no longer legal. I’ll take your advice on my “Pro” something gauge to be sure, it likely caused the frustration since we were convinced that these were clean.

4. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Not to argue but i doubt the DFG guys have worn out gauges.Here's a simple way to never get a ticket or harassed.If the gauge can be slipped over the carapace and eye socket area,throw the lobster back.It eliminates any question of legality.You should feel very lucky you didn't get a ticket.

5. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Feels like there are less legals every year and that is not an accident, but yeah it is very tempting these days to give border cases a pass because of how few solid legals there are

6. "Shoe"

Name:
    Jeff Schumacher
    Boat:
    I love when people say not to argue just before they do...(wink). As mentioned my frame of mind is skewed as I am thoroughly disappointed with the performance of my boat and I only slept 2 hours last night or this morning I guess.

A few points or observations:

I watched VERY closely

The gentleman asked for my gauge and apparently not satisfied with the result (it touched both ends) he then pulled out his own gauge which was not thin sharp aluminum or stainless like mine. It was maybe bronze and appeared to have many seasons of use. I’m not sure if they are issued gauges like that or if they have to use what the department gives them but that is what I observed.

I respected his position and “ruling” without a challenge or argument

I certainly am happy to not have been cited and thanked him for that

I honestly believed and still do that these were legals and I did nothing wrong, though my belief is based on my brand new gauge. I believe he felt the same which is why he just tossed them back and let us go.

Though I haven’t been boarded for 20 years, I have been stopped at the dock a number of times both fresh and saltwater and have never had any compliance issue. I raised my 3 boys to be 100% the same as how I conducted myself, which I believe goes a long way in dealing with officials of any kind.

It was still a fun night and a few minutes ago I washed the boat down and it started immediately. I may have dodged a huge bullet! Regardless, tomorrow I’m pulling the outdrive and raw water pump and replacing everything, not risking another failure...

REELCLOSE likes this.
  7. bloodfart

bloodfart gentleman asshole

san di egg oh (translation: a whale's vagina)
    Name:
    BF
    Boat:
    yours
    why are bugs in an offshore board. In fact why aren't bugs relegated to a bug board. I don't care about bugs. never have. never will.

8. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Congrats on some very hard-won bugs. What a night!

fishn1003 likes this.
  9. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Just trying to help.I'll butt out of your business now.

10. "Shoe"

Name:
    Jeff Schumacher
    Boat:
    No, don’t worry about it, we all have strong opinions and I’m taking it way too serious today. I’m mad at them, not you. Ok maybe I’m just really mad at me for letting all of this happen. However, when I sit down with a cold one and start eating these guys it’s going to be a much better day.

Hey Bloodfart, bugs are good, even if you don’t care. And technically they are off the shore so they qualify for discussion, right? Lol

11. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)

Then how come your on a sportfishing board where people catch, kill and eat many types of ocean creatures. Lobster being one of the best next to king crab. Just wondering

12. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Catching lobster and fishing are completely different... just like seining,long lining,(I've done both)Gill netting,bottom draggers among many others that are called fishing but not even close to the same thing...IMO

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  13. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Stoked you had action. And came away with some. Wanting it staying out after boat problems. No vessel assist down here

Hoop netting water is commonly trampled on and stepped all over. Amazing those areas still hold but with allot of langosta that need to be measured. Not a good zone when measuring is nesacary.

Some of you fellas should consider for basically free in cost with a wonderful under water world experience included. Low tide. Finger reefs. At non popular surf breaks that don't get picked over do to not having radical irregular shapes on the ocean floor making that reef not a target when the waves are flat.

Mask and snorkel, fins, glove, sack. Hand pick in day light hours 5-15' depth. Bugs backed into holes. Easy

No complaints hand picking the shallows. Being stepped on hooping is common and will continue to happen

Now. I realize the risk. But just my child hood friends alone. More have died in car accidents then the total shark attacks in Cali. Scary but statistically you are safer in the ocean then driving down the freeway

Wishing the best for the teen attack. More frightening then a car wreck by a million

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  14. Harborlocal

Harborlocal Newbie

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    N/a
    What does this have to do with offshore fishing?

15. bloodfart

bloodfart gentleman asshole

san di egg oh (translation: a whale's vagina)
    Name:
    BF
    Boat:
    yours
    BD Staff. PLEASE PUT UP A VOTE!

almost no one gives two shits about bugging. It's not fishing. please every year I ask, but PLEASE put them on their own board.

16. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Oh boy

17. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Bug forum would be great. Why isn't there one

But a 316 did just get smoked on a live bug off shore. Slow sink close to the bottom. Just before pre dawn :D

18. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    We don’t care about no stinking bugs!

19. hookfoot

hookfoot Member

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    23.5' Sailfish La Sancha
    This should be on the inshore reports. Happy to read your story though even if it's in the wrong section.

20. Bring It On

Bring It On Bring It On Fishing

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bring It On
    I enjoyed the story. come on let the dude put the damn posting where ever he pleases BD staff can make that call. dutch bags! Fuck all the haters bro and yes DFG can be a hassle but they are there for a reason and i support!