440 Spinfisher question

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by redmaster, Nov 25, 2012.

1. redmaster

redmaster Newbie

Name:
    Ryan Rosenbaum
    Boat:
    Shallow Minded
    I have had my 440 SSG Spinfisher for around a year now and it seems the anti reverse has been somewhat "slipping" coming back sometimes half a rotation before it kicks in. Is there anything I can do or is this just the wear and tear from fishing saltwater for a while? Thanks.

2. alto mare

alto mare Newbie

Name:
    sal
    Boat:
    Reelfeelings
    You'll need a new dog. It might look good to you, the wear is on the inner side of the finger springs, replace it and you will have it.
    Personally, I'm not crazy about graphite on any reels,I would get a 440ss if I were You.
    Sal

3. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I believe the 440SSg has an anti-reverse bearing and no dogs. It's that bearing that is slipping. If you applied excessive grease to the bearing, that might be what us causing it to slip. Otherwise it is slipping because it is failing, perhaps due to corrosion, and must be replaced. It's not a cheap fix.

4. alto mare

alto mare Newbie

Name:
    sal
    Boat:
    Reelfeelings
    Right you are Bill, thanks for the correction. I forgot about that reel having the A/R bearing.

Redmaster, I'm still going to recommend the older metal body. I use them yearely and besides a little maintenance , they never let me down.

Sal

5. mitchman

mitchman Member

Name:
    Mitchell Buck
    Boat:
    none
    How does recommending the older discontinued metal body spinfisher help his current situation?

I agree its the antireverse bearing. If its ~1 year old I would send it back to Penn for warranty service.

If you are handy and want to do the work yourself, here is how to do it (make sure to get your schematic and they can be downloaded from Penn too): Take out the anti-reverse bearing, soak it overnight in a solvent (mineral spirits, brake cleaner, etc.), then hit it with compressed air to get out any grit/solvent, then oil it very lightly and reinstall. If it is still slipping then you need a new bearing which can be costly as mentioned.

6. offshore6

offshore6 Where's the tuna?

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boat Ho
    That bearing assmbly is about $14.50 + shipping. Not cheap but better than throwing the reel away.

7. alto mare

alto mare Newbie

Name:
    sal
    Boat:
    Reelfeelings
    Won't have to deal with it anymore, I'm sure it will happen again.

8. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    This is but one of the reasons why the SSg reels had such a short run at Penn. The new Spinfisher V reels are supposed to be much better.

9. Stryker20

Stryker20 Subtle as a Hand Grenade

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    FWIW, the SSG reels are fine, as long as you stay in their wheelhouse for capability.

I ran a 550SSG through it's paces this year on albacore, fishing 15lb test it handled a half dozen fish just fine. Only really used it for tossing small swimbaits.

Boated one fish @21lbs on a 9'6" 4-10lb steelhead rod on a 440SSG w/20lb braid and a short 25lb seaguar leader. Took over 45min to gaff but the reel survived fine. Spool got warm on several occasions, but no issues to speak of.

Maintenance and appropriate drag settings are all it takes.

10. mitchman

mitchman Member

Name:
    Mitchell Buck
    Boat:
    none
    This still doesn't help fix his reel, which is what he was asking about. Why throw away a reel that is only a year old if all it needs is the bearing cleaned and lubed? I have a 430ssg that I've kept alive for 15 years with routine maintenance and parts. I am aware of the issues with this generation of spinfishers and I'm sure that this will happen again, but he could realistically get a few more years out of it before it will happen again.

11. alto mare

alto mare Newbie

Name:
    sal
    Boat:
    Reelfeelings
    You're absolutely right Michman, I should have taken your hint when you first mentioned it.
    Sorry for bringing it off track.
    Sal

12. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    I don't think we are all talking about the same reels. Penn made the 430SS, then the 4300SS, and came out with the 430SSg reel just a few years ago. All have been discontinued. Only the SSg reel had an anti-reverse bearing; the rest had dogs. The SSg models had the shortest production life, and from my experience in the shop, were simply not very good reels. The SS reels were good, especially the early metal models. But I do agree: Regular maintenance and fishing within specs will help any reel -- including the SSg models -- last longer. But some reels simply aren't worth putting much money in.

13. redmaster

redmaster Newbie

Name:
    Ryan Rosenbaum
    Boat:
    Shallow Minded
    Thanks everyone this has been very helpful I think I will try and just get the new parts. Thanks again.