.44 special

Discussion in 'Firearms and Hunting Classifieds & Deals' started by butcherboy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
    looking for a medium frame 44 special revolver to carry..Tom 760-745-7396 [email protected] thanks

2. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    Turners has a Ruger on sale for $900

3. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    Thanks but I have a large frame 44...looking for the smaller frame dedicated to 44 sp only........Tom

4. kerncat

kerncat Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Opos
    Boat:
    Gone to a new keeper
    If you can find any of the Lipsey Ruger Blackhawk 44 specials (I think Davidsons and a couple of the other specialty wholesalers had them as well) they are a terrific revolver.. They are the standard Blackhawk design but instead of being on the big Blackhawk frame they have been down sized to the old original 357 size frame...the only drawback is that you can' t load the super hot "Ruger only or Contender" loads in them but if you want that why not get a 44 mag anyway? (I've got a 4 5/8" 44 mag that will make you cry like a baby if you want a short 44 mag revolver that will really do the work). I've got one of the Lipsey 44 special flat tops from a number of years ago when Lipsey had Ruger make a special run of 2000 of them. Ruger did put them in their product line after Lipsey made their money on them (May still be in the product line)...super accurate, 4 5/8" bbl is great for carry in the woods, etc...shoots that wonderful 44 special...it's got all the goodies, looks like the old Flat top so a really great looker and Ruger to boot. Here's a link to Jeff Quinn's evaluation of the gun...he's really high on them as are any owners I've talked with..Hope you can find one to at least look over and maybe shoot. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-44Flattop.htm

Mine has holly grips by "Sarge's grips" and are really fine looking and handling. If you go to google and look up Jeff Quinn's article on the Lipsey 44 special you will really get some insight into what they are...good luck in your hunt..might find one on Gun Brokers or somewhere like that.

Attached Files:

5. Moleculo

Moleculo -

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Charter Arms Bulldog is what you're looking for, I think. I have one and it fits the bill perfectly.

6. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    Kerncat, I'd love one of those. There were a fair amount around.....6 months ago. I'm looking, please give me a heads up if you know of one...Thanks Tom

7. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    You the same butcherboy on Fatwallet? LOL

8. kerncat

Name:
    Opos
    Boat:
    Gone to a new keeper
    Look on Gunbroker under Blackhawk 44 special and I think you will find a newer used one for something under $500 with the original black grips5 1/2" bbl or there is a new one in 4 5/8" at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327234997 ...what I saw was a flat top like mine...also if you go to the Lipsey web site they have some stainless ones but they are really pricey....Ruger may still show them under the distributor blackhawks (not super) for several of their special distributors....I think Talo sells one but it's a 3 3/4" and may be a tad short. Good luck..it's worth the search....Mine isn't for sale but there are some around....$470-$550 would be about right plus fees, etc...might get lucky.

9. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    Kerncat, thanks for the tip. I got snake river arms on the phone and bought the one they had on GB.....now to find lead free ammo........Tom

10. kerncat

Name:
    Opos
    Boat:
    Gone to a new keeper
    Man you don' t make it easy....lol....I shoot almost all lead projectiles (even with bad lungs)...I don' t know who makes lead free ammo for the 44..I think when Elmer Keith was developing everything for the 44 special that everything was about 240 grain solid lead semi wadcutters ("the Keith"...probably using Unique to push it)...Unique and Keiths...the true 44 special.

Glad you found the gun...they are a ball. Jeff Quinn talks about pushing a Keith style 250 grain at over 1000 fps as a normal load for him...that's pretty warm. I've been shooting Trail Boss with 200 grain lead RNFP's and they run along really nicely. One thing...Nosler offers "blemished" jacketed bullets from time to time that are really reasonable and are not blemished enough for me to tell...If you handload you might find something here: http://shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_101_110 from time to time...they sell off the blems from Nosler

If you were going to be able to shoot lead the Miwal "gun show" ammo in 240 grain semi wadcutter makes a dandy load that runs at about 800 fps, is pretty clean and I don't get any leading with it.

Glad to be able to help find the gun...I only saw one of the shorter bbl on Gun Broker so you got really lucky...that's the "good un". If you ever need the 4 5/8 44 mag brother to that one...keep me in mind...I had it sold...the guy sort of backed away and the more I thought of it the more I decided to keep it....if you want a real handful load some Buffalo 300 grainers in that little short bbl punisher and nail your boots to the floor...I'm old and got arthritis...takes a whole bottle of advil to get over a few cylinders of that stuff...wheee.

11. Raginkjn

Raginkjn Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    24' Vendetta
    Cor-Bon makes lead free 200gr HP bullets for the 44 special.

12. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    thanks, I see some online I'm chasing. This will be nice setup for Tejon Ranch archery pig backup......Thanks for all the good leads....Tom

13. kerncat

Name:
    Opos
    Boat:
    Gone to a new keeper
    Hope you find it...and good hunting...remember a Condor is just a Buzzard with a pedigree....have fun.

14. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Better check the regs; I don't think we're allowed to carry a firearm during an archery hunt anymore, I think the laws were changed.

15. butcherboy

butcherboy Retired Bum

Name:
    tom cunningham
    Boat:
    thanks..will do..