gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Way to go, that is making some memories. I am happy for you. Also, I had no problem reading anything you wrote.

Reactions: jer dog

Fins in the Bin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
You got me beat by about 10 pounds, that is a monster, did you happen to measure the length? Its over 4' for sure. That fish is also over 30 years old. :High_Five

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
63.1 at Santa Barbara Island in 2000 looks like current CA record , my mistake
Ya that was kwang Lee's fish ...he was our customer and was setup next to us when he caught it...it was awesome seeing that thing come over the rail from a distance...

Last edited:

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Tree
Boat
iWish
that is a giant yellow!! Good ol la jolla!!

when you slow troll a sardine are you using a weight or just fly line ?

steveor

The Roderboat aka Marga
Jun 30, 2005
san diego
Name
steve
Boat
20' Trophy Bayliner
My brother had to work in the AM, so we decided to hit La Jolla in the afternoon searching for yellows. Launched at Dana and went to the bait barge and got a half scoop of horse sardines. Mostly 8-9 inch, and they were generous with the pass, so we were loaded up. I figured the bigger dines would slow troll a bit better, anyway. We got up to LJ and headed around the corner towards LJ Shores, where I knew someone had got a yellow the day before. Started slow trolling in 80ft of water. The New Seaforth was anchored up inside catching bass and only 3 kayaks and 4 other boats around. Around 3pm we saw a good spot of birds about 50 yards in front of NS and trolled that direction. We had picked up a few small calicos and barracuda slow trolling already, so I expected more of the same up ahead. Instead, I hooked the right kind. I knew right away it was a yellow and it was big. My brother drove the boat around after it and after almost 30 min he nailed it with a perfect gaff shot and wrestled it aboard. It came to color 3 times and got pretty kelpy twice. I freaked out when my mono popped thru the kelp at one point, thinking it was gone. Got my personal best (by almost 15lbs) on 25lb Berkley Big Game green mono with a ringed #2 Owner hook. Shimano Talus 8ft rod w Shimano Speedmaster 6:1 reel. We knew it was 30+ lbs , for sure , but when we weighed it at home I was amazed that I had caught an almost 45lb yellowtail. CA state record is 62 lbs caught in LJ in 1953, so I feel blessed to have been able to reel in a yellow this big. For reference, I am 6'6" and was 247.4 on the scale that afternoon. Holding my fish I tipped it at 291.8. An amazing day at La Jolla, truly a jewel.

View attachment 1184225

View attachment 1184226

View attachment 1184227

View attachment 1184228
I am getting gear ready for Pacific Queen trip and realized that I spooled my Shimano Speedmaster with 20 lb test , not 25 lb like I first reported.

Nordhavn68

Jul 28, 2008
Usa
Name
Justin
Boat
The Reason
WOW! Yellowtail of a lifetime, congrats! Your smile says it all

Islandrat

Wish I was new
Aug 15, 2007
Camarillo
Name
Eric
Boat
Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
We got a couple of 50# at Santa Cruz Island @ 15 years ago. Well 50 and 48, one looked like it was blind in one eye and was a little skinny.