The Roderboat aka Marga
Jun 30, 2005
san diego
Name
steve
Boat
20' Trophy Bayliner
Nice fish, something to be proud of.

Are you sure about the California record, A few years back a friend of mine caught a 72 pounder on one of the boats out of Oxnard, it was on display at Bob Sands Tackle at one time, not sure its still there.
it was not a California State record then, curious to know how a 62 pounder is the record now.
63.1 at Santa Barbara Island in 2000 looks like current CA record , my mistake

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Slug!!!!!!
Great job Brother on driving and gaffing.
And you Sir, for quite the catch!

dudeman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Great catch! And thanks for the intel. The pictures explain it all.

Mar 20, 2019
Norwalk
Name
Steve decker
Boat
19ft Bayliner
75lb YT caught at Catalina in the mid 90's my friend Steve caught it at night fishing through squid for seabass. Weighed in at Avalon. That was state record at time. Seen pictures on the scale.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Nice catch I bet that donkey pulled like a tractor Congratulations and Thanks for the report!

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
Very nice fish for sure. Congrats!

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
What a toad! Mossback! Home guard! Pig! Bruiser! Tackle Buster! Trophy! Anything I missed?

Congratulations, sir, on one heck of a catch!

• Haha
Reactions: the SLIDER

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
We all know, but I'll say it anyway, a yellowtail does not get fat and sluggish as they grow, a 25 pound fights like the Devil, I can only imagine the fight--can you give some more on that, how tight did you have the drag, how much line it fired off that reel?

steveor

The Roderboat aka Marga
Jun 30, 2005
san diego
Name
steve
Boat
20' Trophy Bayliner
We all know, but I'll say it anyway, a yellowtail does not get fat and sluggish as they grow, a 25 pound fights like the Devil, I can only imagine the fight--can you give some more on that, how tight did you have the drag, how much line it fired off that reel?
The initial run when it hit was the most line off the reel, maybe 150-200 feet, hard to judge for sure. We were trolling parallel to the shore in 40ft of water and it ran straight north towards the canyon and deeper water behind us. Following the fish was key to the fight and I was able to quickly retrieve a lot of line lost on the yellowtail's big runs a few times. Because of being mobile, I was also able to keep from buttoning down the drag. Scary part of that was allowing this big fish to find the kelp a few times. It made some serious runs though. The power when it took off at first color was amazing . Did not like the look of my boat ! When Bill gaffed the fish and pulled it onboard, it was spent. No thrashing about, just laying there. I won't lie, I was shaking a bit.