43, san sal knoll, 230,371,425, islands

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by bajadog1, Sep 24, 2010.

1. bajadog1

bajadog1 SKIPPER

Name:
    Gabriel
    Boat:
    2601 Seaswirl "OUTTA LOBSTER"
    No fish. BIG F'N SKUNK. Started at the 43 with LOTS of porpoise, paddies and BAIT. No marks on the meter. Water at the 43 was 64.5, very clean blue. Cold water at the 182 was 63.1. Paddies were choked with bait. We went 10 miles north of the 43, for more of the same crap. After trolling, baiting and waiting we decided to head south and try to get out of the bait. Bait is everywhere and there is lots of it! There were bait balls everywhere we went all the way from the 43 to the 425. We tried trolling bait-o-matics through a few balls for nothing. Headed to the San Salvador Knoll. The water got colder the closer we got to the knoll. I decided to head in to find warmer water. 230 was warmer but there was still bait and no padies. On the way to the 371 there few paddies with no bait, no meter marks and no fish, bait balls everywhere. Headed towards the 425 and below, bait balls everywhere. I just got so sick of seeing giant bait masses and I decided to head for the islands, last ditch effort. Water at the islands was 61.1 and green. There was 1 other boat at the islands. I'm not saying people cant catch fish. They just cant catch it where I went. There was a boat that sat with the sporties, overnight. He said they went north early in the morning? One other boat said a friend caught yellowfin between the 181 and the 209 yesterday? I heard of 1 marlin caught at the 43 at greylight. Noone fessed up if they did catch fish. Season over???????

2. Flyfish77

Flyfish77 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    26' Stripper
    I was out there today and it was a beautiful boat ride to the 43,182,302 181. I ended up going up to the 181. The water is much warmer about 2 miles outside the ridge 68.3 as I went up the line. I can't believe the amount of Dolphin not holding fish. The weather last week dirty up the water. If I was going tomorrow I would work the 181,209,267,14. You are correct about the volume of bait it is everywhere. All the kelp stops had tons of bait on it and no marks. SKUNKED

3. Barry Chew

Barry Chew Hookuuup!

Name:
    Barry
    Boat:
    Non-owner
    You really took one for the team, didn't you? A valiant effort it was to burn the fuel to travel to all those places looking for fish. Sorry you didn't get rewarded with some fish for your efforts. Thanks for the reality check.

4. GOAT15

GOAT15 Newbie

Name:
    Brando
    Boat:
    28 Parker LADY LUCK, 25ft parker CC, 35 Cabo flybridge,Ranger 85
    I feel your pain borther we did a similer loop to day, Vary frusterating fishing, The fishing sucks and i have to do it again tomarrow, I guess I could be doing worse things

5. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    you sure covered some ground thanks for your effort...

6. Flyfish77

Flyfish77 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    26' Stripper
    We saw one Marlin today. It was in between the 181 and 182 about 2 miles to the outside. Water was 68.3. FYI

7. cruzer

cruzer Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21 PARKER SC-YO LU LU
    Out there today too...beautiful weather early, but cold water...poor reports and no fish from every direction so back to the barn early

8. D-nice

D-nice Newbie

Name:
    DK
    Boat:
    Hobie Skiff
    Ditto, slow for me at the 181-43-182
    So nice out though

9. Big Squid

Big Squid Member

Name:
    Big Squid
    Boat:
    Pursuit
    Running out of places for the fish not to be...

10. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Thanks for the report...... alot of miles travelled....

For what its worth....

for us...we would find a meter mark and chum...chum.....1.5 -2 hours go by....if nothing.....

we would find another meter mark and chum...chum...1.5=2 hours go by...if nothing....

we would find another meter mark and chum chum chum.......and so on.....and on the days that we were out...eventually we would find a mark that would bite.....

Hope that helps....the chumming is the big key....you have to have LOTS of it.

We never did travel more than a 7 mile radius for all 3 days

11. garrironman

garrironman Newbie

Name:
    rick garratt
    Boat:
    no
    big question where are the fish. give it up where is this new spot.

12. Lou W

Lou W registered offender

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Rabbit Hole
    I was out thurs in roughly the same area. h20 high temp might have bumped 67 deg in a spot. Lots of bait, porpoise, some meter marks but no one came up to play. Maybe this warm spell will get the fish up.

13. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    For what it's worth, watching the SST and chlorophyll charts, that good water where the fleet found the fish around the Hidden Bank a couple weeks ago moved up over the 302 then up by the 43 and was between the 43 and the 289 when the Spectra got their fish. That same water has now moved a bit farther north, so I'm with Flyfish in that I'd work the 267/209/181/289 area. That's the warmest, cleanest water around, and I've followed it up from the Hidden 2 weeks ago. So I'd be surprised if it wasn't holding fish. The water between the 302/43/Butterfly/SSK has turned cold and dirty. Dana Point or Oceanside might be the place to launch from this weekend.

That's the amateur analysis from a guy who hasn't been on the water for almost a month, so you know what it all means...

Thanks for the report, bajadog. The no fish reports are sometimes more valuable than the slaying reports. Lots of good info there.

14. Flyfish77

Flyfish77 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    26' Stripper
    I think the fish were almost traped in a blume of warmer water that has slowly moved to the north. When I was at the 43 last week the fish seemed to be holding in a 5 mile circle scattered. I think when you got to the temp break on edges of the blume you get albie and blue fin mixing with the yellowfin. After running yesturday and looking at the temps/color and the charts are correct I would be in the circle from 277, 14, 181,209, 267. I would start at the 181 and work the warmer water towards the 277. I don't know shit, Just my thoughts

15. yellowdog

yellowdog Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    20' Seapro
    I just called Helgren's on the radio from my backyard and they said the O'side bait barge doesn't open till 7:00 tomorrow (Sunday).

16. Flyfish77

Flyfish77 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    26' Stripper
    I couldn't find any decent marks to chum on. Last week I found good marks chunked and got them to come up. I metered all over the 43, 182 and the Dolphin and just didn't located fish to work on. The local banks are plugged with bait balls eveywhere. I dont have side scan and as soon as I left an area the fish probly moved in and 10 other boats will report limits.