did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
well, it did not work out for us.

best bait I have seen all year from EB at mission bay.....although waiting 45 minutes for the 5 boats ahead of us kinda sucked. those guys need to attend a motivational seminar or something.....but, what can you do.

headed south for the 425 to try to get away from the micro fish......wanted to find some paddies or something with more to offer than 9#YFT.

looked pretty fishy north of the islands, but the further south we traveled, the worse it got. Sloppy seas, along with alot more wind that what was predicted, had us heading north way sooner than we had planned.

weather got worse and worse all morning. steep wind chop from the north had me thinking that when the large south swell hit, it might get kinda messed up.

anyway we ran from the 425 out across the 302 and, by that time, just pointed it at the barn.

Fished the ponies out south of the 302, and although we were marking fish under them, they wanted none of our offerings.

ah,well....it beat being at work. :D

80NM trip, lots of whales, very few birds, only one herd of ponies, but no fish for us. We suck.

hope others can use this info ........

but on the bright side, we still looked at each other at the end of the day and agreed that we'd rather be doing this than anything else.........we have plenty in the freezer and spending time with friends is kinda cool regardless of the catching.

However, the skunk sucks! LOL

Reactions: Saluki
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Hmm. Thanks for the report. Bit surprised. Think it was the weather or just your turn?

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Well ya got out there my brother. . . better than what I did all day :) Let that storm down south go by and it should be nice sunday or monday when the rest of san diego and orange county are on the water!!!

Thank for the Report Mikey. . . comon DEC!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Saw you at the gas station on my short ride home from work...

Upvote 0

captamb1

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2003
Vista
Visit site
Name
JIM
Boat
25 ft Skipjack Fisherman
Thanks Mikey for the report some times you get them, some times you don't! I have yet had a wide open bite this season, maybe this weekend will change things.

Upvote 0

seasnake

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
jason
Boat
23 Parker “JVSEAS”
Thanks for the report. Definitely helpful!
For sure about motivational seminar! I have been thinking the same thing every time i get bait from there.

Upvote 0

drseiler

Super-Model
Mar 19, 2006
Camp North-Star
Name
Hal Danish or Harry Tators
Boat
19' Mako
Other than the weather being bad the same thing happened to me on Saturday. :o Oh well still had fun and wasn't at work or doing a honey do list item.

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Been there, done that. Thanks for the report. Next time Mikey!

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Pay and tip the bait guys before they are done brailing if possible . Offer them a beer or a red bull . You will be surprised by how you are treated . Scoop .....scoop and a half .....same thing . I have had a guy picking sardines out of the mack tank trying to hook me up . Its not an easy job waking up to bird crap and seal farts . You would be low on motivation as well . Lol.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Way to give it a go Mikee, at least you were out on the water. LOL
I have to wait til Friday! GL next time!

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Sorry Man..... I think we all know that feeling...... :)

But like You said any day on the water is hard to beat....:)

Reactions: Reel hip
Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
It happens. But, as you described, it beats the hell out of working...
Thanks for the report. Note to self: Stay up around the 302-230-226. :D

Upvote 0

the Goodlife

SMILE!!!!! YOUR NOT DEAD!
Nov 19, 2008
PQ
Name
Aaron
Boat
14 & 20' Bayliner, Thee Goodlife & Captin Morgan
That's how it was for us Sunday, sounds like the same exact trip, same spots.. came home with no fish!! but all in all... it still beats working!!:devil: Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Still a lot of warm water there. It looks good! I guess it was just your day to be fishing not catching. How many trips have we done in years past (at least for me) trip after trip for zero.

Reactions: c-goat
Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
yeah, we had a few things working against us....

one of my crew was ralphing most of the ride out......then I discovered that the gaffs were still in the garage......then the bait tank drain plugged itself. Ugh.

yet, here I sit in the salt mine, wishing I was back out there getting skunked again. :rolleyes:

You suck.

:)

Hey, I was trying areas that you hadn't raped yet. :D

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
We(the 3 of us) tried to avoid the crowds last Saturday and find our own fish.Weather and ocean conditions were so nice I figured we could just full throttle all over the map,up in the tower and find "that" paddy.
We did not score on the tuna,as a matter of fact we almost got skunked if it were not for the one 20 lb dorado I got off a paddy just south west of the 371,just before the water goes from 75.6 to 73 something.
Before this I was on top of the world, limits every trip,with the "fish are out there well get them again" easy peazy attitude.

Bottom line is were all just out there being fishermen man...not catchermen.Its not often youll see me post a no fish report....im too cool.:)

P.S.I still blame are crappy day on the banana sized donkey mackerel we got for bait...not even tuna under the birds noticed these huge mackeral in the buffett spread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
Just a side note,I burned 91 gallons of gas and im gonna give another shot this weekend....and the next...and the next LOL.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
Another side note:I know where the fish are, Im just trying to stay away from all you fuckers,you know who you are....see yall out there this weekend LOL

Upvote 0