425 and Hidden Bank 09-09-09

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Cubdread, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Cubdread

Cubdread Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    21' Chaparral 216 ssI
    I just got back from the longest venture my boat has taken with me as it's owner. I put in at Shelter Island at 4:30 AM and proceeded to get a 1/2 scoop of bait (my bait tank is small and more is not better).
    I headed out towards the 425 and kept thinking about the accident that happened days ago at the Islands. I had my eyes peeled the whole time and felt much better once I passed the Island with lots of room to spare.
    I arrived at sunrise and started trolling towards the hidden bank. One of the trollers went off about 7:30 AM on a black and white feather. The fish pulled a lot of line and I started pulling in. I wasn't sure if I had a fish at first as there was no fight whatsoever. Did I snag something? Nope, a small yellowfin tuna came aboard after I gaffed it right in the head.
    The radio was abuzz of lots of guys at the 425 and Hidden Bank loading up on YFT, dorado, and Yellowtail off of paddy stops. I was having a hard time finding any paddies and kept cruising.
    I picked up the trollers and jetted (my boat goes pretty fast in nice-ish conditions) to the Hidden Bank. I trolled around for a bit and a very nice boat called me in on their paddy that they were leaving. It was the biggest one that I would see all day. No go for anything for me. Thanks nice people.
    After a bit of trolling, I decided I should start at least heading homeward bound. I angered one boater as they felt as if I got to close to them as I was heading back to the 425. I saw them stopped and headed a bit left. Well, left of them was a large paddy. I made an immediate left to swing way wide. I am guessing that I was about 600 yards away and they called on the radio telling me I was too close. I was doing my best to steer clear of their stop.
    On the way, I went right by about a 10' string of kelp. As I passed, I saw 3 fish scatter. I circled back and figured that I had scared them all away. Bait in the water. 1 minute later, fish on. Dorado this time. It took me about 10 minutes or so to land him as he would take line every time he got close to the boat. I finally tired him out and gaffed him with a nice head shot. I got him in the fish locker (ski locker cleaned out) right away so that he could not do any damage on board. He behaved.
    My total trip was 110 nautical miles. I arrived back at Shelter Island about 1:30 PM. The water temp for my 425 fish was about 71.5 or so. The Dorado was more around 70.0. The dorado was caught about 10:30 AM or so.
    Time to wash the boat and clean the fish. Take advantage of this awesome recreational area that we have in our back yard. Try to be nice to each other. It is better for everyone.

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    THANKS FOR THE VERY TIMELY REPORT. Glad you had a good trip and were able to take home some fish. Great work

3. twice bit

twice bit Member

Name:
    Mike Hill
    Boat:
    21FT Wellcraft Fisherman
    Nice report, and useful info. Thanks.

4. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Good job.. Sometimes the radio is nothing more than some really angry or drunk (or both) boaters sounding board that is hard at times not to take too seriously. If you trolled over their paddy though, it's another story!

5. asabadin

asabadin Newbie

Name:
    Angelo
    Boat:
    16ft lowe side console tin can
    Screw those idiots! You already pissed them off(for no reason) I would have fished there patty, damage was already done(according to him) so at that point might as well enjoy the spoils!

6. queenfish

queenfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
    I thought I might add a little to this post. I didn't get out until 9am. the water was flat calm, ran about 40 knots down to the 425 area, picked up a double on YFT between the 425 and 101. Wind picked up about 1pm picked up another double on a small pod of porpoise around 20/20 at about 2pm. headed in and going again tomorrow............but starting early.
    Mark

7. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Give me a break, that's like a quarter of a mile. Yeah I would of circled the patty just to piss them off.

8. TadyPaddy

TadyPaddy "KILLER" "dessie99"

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    2120 Parker
    Thanks for the report, and info

9. rsees

rsees Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Boatless in Santee
    Thanks for the report jon. looks like you did a a solo run nice catching.
    Ron

10. crazy hawaiian

crazy hawaiian Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    17.5' Seaswirl c/c
    Damn, I get tired of hearing that someone owns a paddy just because they were the first to stumble upon it. No one owns a paddy unless they can show documentation otherwise.

When there are a couple hundred boats searching or rather hoping they stumble upon a paddy, and patties are almost nonexistant, days that all of us have encountered, don't think you have exclusive right to that paddy.

One of the first things I was taught in kindergarten was a concept called sharing. Works pretty much for all things in life including sharing kelp paddies.

If you stumble on me fishing a kelp paddy you don't even have to ask. Just come in slowly, not crowding the patty, making sure to watch how you set up your drift to not end up drifting over the paddy, throw in some chum which helps me since I can only carry limited, and wave "hi".

Oh, and don't use your radio to call in the whole fleet for a little while. You and I can share the paddy for just a little time to ourselves. ;)

11. Cartero

Cartero Team Fish Seeker

Name:
    Eric the Mailman
    Boat:
    Kencraft Challenger 206 CC
    Glad you got a couple, Jon. Did the ocean let you run home really fast?

12. Yacker Andrew

Yacker Andrew Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, Malibu Extreme,
    True, no one owns the paddy, and I too believe we need to share them. I will never have a problem with sharing, but definetely common curtiousy is needed with so many boats on the water today.

Like the Crazy Hawian said, be very aware of which way your going to drift so you dont take out the paddy and wipe out the bite for everyone. The best thing to do is keep a safe distance from the paddy especially when sharing.

I would also recomend doing a friendly call out on the radio asking if they wouldn't mind if you shared their paddy. Almost no one will refuse you, but its just common curtiousy.

Just my 2 cents

13. salty dong

salty dong Newbie

Name:
    salty dong
    Boat:
    24 wellcraft
    i'm with you bro.
    be cool slide in on the paddy a help get the fish in a frenzied. help out the cause.
    its funny because i was out on the 181 on sat and some f*** head just had to run between my buddy and i with {only about thirty yrds of space} and the paddy.his engine peeled off about 200 yrds of spectra in to his drive before i decided to cut it.we sat there a pillaged dodos and yellows while
    he drifted away working on the motor.lol

14. sdfishkiller

sdfishkiller Cod Smuggler

Name:
    Todd Mora
    Boat:
    19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
    Don't forget your radio has "low" power for short range communications.

15. crazy hawaiian

crazy hawaiian Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    17.5' Seaswirl c/c

Won't name names, but I know a guy who gets the biggest kicks out of answering back to whoever calls a request out to "come on in", and he's usually no where around. Sick humor.

16. crazy hawaiian

crazy hawaiian Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    17.5' Seaswirl c/c
    I'm still laughing at that image! :slap:

17. ChupacabraMB

ChupacabraMB Newbie

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    2301 Seaswirl W/O Yamaha 115 X2
    Good job. Nice report.

18. g's toy

g's toy Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2301,swirl--sold
    I heard the boater say you were too close several times. I did NOT hear you ask to fish the paddy with him which sounded like you were just passing by it. My thoughts were the other guy sounds like a guy who will NOT let anyone come in on a paddy. Guess he owns that part of the ocean--ya right! I doubt he does the same-gives someone a quarter mile wide berth!!!!!! Karma just might BITE him one of these days. Glad you did get some fish to take home. Mike

19. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    A great effort, and a couple of tasty fish for the barbie, sweet!

20. Ahh 4 reels!

Ahh 4 reels! Newbie

Name:
    E
    Boat:
    none
    Crazy Hawaiin.Nicely said.Good job on your venture.