Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
May 15, 2016
UTAH
Name
Dave Magruder
Boat Name
Inflatable ducky
A couple friends of mine sent me pictures of it being weighed at the green pier....absolute SLUG! Then I saw this post from Fisherman's on their Instagram. It's so cool that we have 400+ pound BFT's in the So Cal Bight!
412lb tuna.JPG

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat Name
    25ft Skipjack fly 35 ft Silverton
    Thats a massive beast!

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat Name
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Holy shit! Any details on how long that pig took to reel in?

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Upvote 0

Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
    May 15, 2016
    UTAH
    Name
    Dave Magruder
    Boat Name
    Inflatable ducky
    That fish CRUSHES the current California state record! (Even though we all know dozens of BFT's caught this year beat the record)!

tuna, bluefin Species information Thunnus orientalis245 lbs 0 oz 43 Fathom BankSan Diego
    8/14/2016​
    Correia, John E.Ocean AnglingLure

Upvote 0

Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
    May 15, 2016
    UTAH
    Name
    Dave Magruder
    Boat Name
    Inflatable ducky
    I thought those rules only applied to IGFA records. Does the State of California require the same strict rules for state records?

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Mack's-Magic

Yo! Ima go catch a TUNA!
    May 15, 2016
    UTAH
    Name
    Dave Magruder
    Boat Name
    Inflatable ducky
    I just found the answer to my own question....seems like using the rail isn't a problem though!

RULES: 1. To qualify for a saltwater angling record you are required to have a current California saltwater fishing license, or be under 16 years of age. In addition, you must adhere to all fishing regulations. 2. The act of persons other than the angler touching any part of the rod, reel, or line either bodily or with any device, from the time a fish strikes or takes the bait or lure, until the fish is landed, or in giving any aid is prohibited. 3. Shooting or harpooning the fish at any stage of the catch is prohibited. 4. Your application must be submitted within one year of the date of catch. 5. An International Game Fish Association application may not be submitted in place of the California Saltwater Angling Record Verification form. 6. Only the species found on the sport angling record list (see Fishing and Diving Records section on CDFW website) can be turned in as a new record. Any species not on the list will not be accepted. 7. In order to defeat a record, the fish must exceed the current record by at least one ounce. A catch that matches the weight of an existing record or exceeds the weight by less than one ounce will be considered a tie.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Anyone feel free to correct me on the details, but some 5 and 600lb fish were netted off of the yellow banks in the 80's. Bigger fish still waiting out there.

I believe there was one fish over 1000 lbs...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

terryc.

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 12, 2006
    Chatsworth
    Name
    Terry Corenman
    Boat Name
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Anyone feel free to correct me on the details, but some 5 and 600lb fish were netted off of the yellow banks in the 80's. Bigger fish still waiting out there.

Yes but not off Yellow Banks farther out maybe backside of Cruz.

Upvote 0

92107beach

Aug 28, 2010
    san diego
    The rail came into play I’m sure. They didn’t have it in the rod holder. They had 2 fish going . Even when angler is using a belt/harness when the fish gets close it’s nearly impossible to maneuver around bow pulpit etc. When that much drag is being applied.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0