40lb Wahoo Caught in Alamitos Bay

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by greenie, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Coming from the guy who thinks EB are bad people because he got hosed for an extra $5 at the bait barges LOL

2. All angry, lit up Hoo, nice sheen, clean lines, clear eyes, rich blood. Oh, also clubbed across melon. That long uphill ride to Nachos sure takes it toll on your local Wahoo

3. medunn16

medunn16 Captain blue perch!!!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Blackman'46'Boat Ho!!!

I believe you,,,,,,,,,,,, but whats EASTE????

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    thats proof to me. Way cool. Congrats to a all time first!

Also, the kids from Newport, the ycaught a Opah off the Kelp line Newport last month....that has to be a first also.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. fishtrax

fishtrax SWBA_65

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    BostonWhaler_150
    crazy report just heard about this today!!!!!

6. Curadokat

Curadokat Sick Treeman

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    NADA

Its my understanding that you are in dire need of assistance with English....My Girlfriend gives free tutoring on the weekends I am sure that she can help you out LOL

7. TonyH54

TonyH54 Whiskey Tango

Name:
    Antonio Pendejo
    Boat:
    Ask Jerry
    Yessir, thats fresh caught from the iced down kill bag, the one in the OP's photo, that is. Looks to be, oh, couple of days aged already?

8. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    [​IMG]

This hoo was still alive when this pic was taken. I shot it less than 10 minutes prior to this pic. In fact, it flopped out of my hand right after the snap of the photo...

9. Reuben

Reuben Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Reuben
    Boat:
    Boat
    Wahoo are Gay!

Sorry fellas, i hadn't read it yet and it needed to be added it to our thread.

10. fishstomp

fishstomp Picaroon

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    18' Seaswirl
  11. Boatsoda_Ed

Boatsoda_Ed Boatsoda_ed

Name:
    ed
    Boat:
    none
    Why Not Believe? It's been the strangest year on record :hali_olutta:If it's a hoax Well Bite me craink if Not Power to to the angler:hali_ruahahaha:
    Peace luv and Bloona

12. mandoman68

mandoman68 Big Loco

Name:
    Mandoman
    Boat:
    Kathleen
    I see I'm still on your mind. Now thats precious,even cute. I miss you too sweet cheeks.Oh and remember this: Everingham Bros are the BEST bait operation PERIOD! You should learn how to read,maricon. Must be the lack of oxygen way up there in Colorady. Have a nice day,mijo

13. dalurker

dalurker old skool rules

Name:
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat:
    my blood vessel
    i'll vouch for ya. we were in the Whaler behind you...

Spoken like a wise clown of the hill...:2gunsfiring_v1:

Attached Files:

14. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    What trips me out is no one is freaking! The guy with the fish does not even have a smile on his face, it's all business as usual in the background. I would think people would be loosing their freakin minds! I still am!!

Def. not that hard to believe though. Last year an overnight boat got one at around 60nm.

15. flyliner

flyliner @thereelflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Well, I guess there are two options, option 1, it actually happened, and option 2, it was a hoax.

Let's talk about option 1 first. If this is true, this is probably strangest catch I have heard about in Southern California. This catch was taken inside the breakwall in 58 degree water.

This isn't a tuna, or an opah, or a stripped marlin, or a swordfish, or heck, even a roosterfish. This is a wahoo. All the previously mentioned fish have been caught in water under 65 degrees before....rare, but it happens.

No wahoo have ever been caught in California. Wahoo don't swim in water under 78 ish degreees. I have seen dodos in 64-65, even caught roosterfish in December and January in 65 and 66 degree water in La Paz and East Cape....but wahoo like it warm.

The other crazy thing about this is that this fish wasn't sick or dying. It wasn't free gaffed and acting strange. It actually bit a jig. To me, even if a live wahoo ended up in 58 degree water, it would NOT be eating. It would be too cold to even bite.

Of all the pelagic species found on the West Coast, I would say those with the lowest tolerance for colder water (let's say below 78 degrees ) would be Wahoo, Blue Marlin, Black Marlin, and Sailfish.

Assuming this story is true, this would be the first recorded catch of a Wahoo in California waters. I have heard rumors of blue marlin in California waters, not sure if a catch has ever been confirmed.

To my knowledge, Black Marlin and Sailfish have never been caught in California waters either. Even assuming this were a full blown El Nino year in which local waters can get up to 80 degrees, it would be a HUGE deal.

But this year, which is the coldest summer water temp wise that we have had since 1973, this is just a little hard to believe!

So if this is true, this is by far the most insane catch ever.

On to Option 2, that this was a hoax. If I wanted to pull this off, this is how I would have done it. I take a wahoo from a long range trip that came out of the RSW (which keeps the fish sushi grade and looking like it just got caught) then I drive it up to Long Beach (kept on ice) put in on the boat, and gaff it.

The blood would still look fresh, etc.

The only problem here is guys saying they saw it alive. I can't explain that. So if all these guys are telling the truth.......and they seem to be reputable. Then it happened I guess.

Which brings me back to my first conclusion. This is the most insane catch in So Cal. ever.

This is not a tuna that washed up on the beach from the tuna pens. This is not a sword fish free gaffed in the harbor. This is not a fish that has anything to do with water below 78 degrees. This is not a fish that has ever been caught in California.

And this all happened in the coldest lamest fishing summer ever. Crazy.

16. dalurker

dalurker old skool rules

Name:
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat:
    my blood vessel
    Not to mention the water inside was Brown and dirty. I MEAN BROWN and 57/58 degrees and no visibility.

17. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    While most of what you said is pretty right on, you're off by a couple of degrees. We regularly shoot wahoo in water below 78. Not much, but def below 78. Not 58 by any means.

Just the fact that Dalurker saw it, took pictures of it, and said it was alive and kicking is proof enough for me.

Done deal in my mind. Amazing and bizarre catch.

18. FknChristopH

FknChristopH Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christoph
    Boat:
    FAT Cat / RIP Icon
    Shaun Morgon.. who is that? JK

I'm still mind bottled by this event.

I'm still also bummed this summer was too cold for anything to really go off.

Kudos again the the angler.

19. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    In Louisiana we caught Wahoo in 67 degree water so you guys cant claim they only live in 78 or above and wahoo are a regular winter catch in the gulf in the upper 60's.

And as for Blue Marlin the Cali record is in the 600lb range I believe caught off Balboa so its not the strangest thing although Im sure very very rare as Ive not heard of one in my lifetime anyways.

20. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    hehe:rofl:It must have been your tone of doubt that recalled my memory of the EB thread...Or must be the thin air and chronic out here LOL