40LB ROD

Fred100

Jul 24, 2008
Vista
Name
Fred
Boat
none
Been looking at Phenix Axis 820XH or 780X depending on what is biting. Already have a 7' rod that is probably like the 780X per line recommendation. Decisions?

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi CN,

There have been lots of great suggestions however there is much more to know about your specific needs and wants.. There is more to fitting a rod to a particular angler depending on hand size, tactile feel, rod length, majority of use for the stick (Live bait, dropper stuff, surface junk, etc.), if your brain and feel want a faster taper or more parabolic rod and of course budget.... if any. As you can tell by the responses, each angler may love a specific rod while the next person recommends something completely different.. Very much a user specific deal especially for what undoubtedly will be one of your main, go to, rods.. 40 pound is a standard for many uses.

When You come into our store or any professionally run tackle shop, the salesperson can start to get a feel for what you are looking for and what your tactile feel is.. We normally have a huge selection of various manufacturer's rods and blanks.. United Composites, Calstar, Blackhole, Okuma, Phenix, Graftech and more.. Even within the lineup of each manufacturer, each rod or series of rods will feel different even with the same or similar line ratings.

In my opinion, a great tackle shop will try and fit you with the first rod you want to pick up and the last rod you want to put away, for each specific fishing task or line range, during a day or more of fishing... There is no one size fits all scenario regardless how great the rods are.. One person's gold is another person's not so much..

Of course, there are those who just want a 40 pound rod and are happy fishing whatever they get but since you are asking, it would appear as if you would like more than just a generic answer.... Or not..

If You would like You are welcome to PM me and I will provide my cell phone number to discuss the various options. There is never any obligation to purchase from us regardless how much time I spend with you.. It is always my pleasure to help if I can.

Have a great season.

Respectfully,

Jamie

Last edited:

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Calstar 800H. That said I recently built a SS 6470XH for yo-yo in a minimalist design (lightweight), paired it with a torque 25nld2 and horsed a 60+ lb BFT in 15mins on 40lb. Work smarter not harder.

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    I still have and older E-glass Calstar 6480 BT …
    I used to chuck jigs fishing for wahoo back in the mid 1990’s with it using 40# mono … then I switched over to a Calstar 800H E-glass …. I used to load up a narrow Trinidad 40 with 40-50# …
    I sold those Trinidad’s to folks in Hawaii… parts for those older Trinidad’s were extremely hard to find … so I now use an Avet HXJ … it casts OK … then I went and bought two Accurate’s for my 9 foot jig sticks … wahoo stuff … sure hope I don’t snag a 100# tuna … AGAIN … my poor back …
    I’ve been fishing a lot of UC United Composite rods lately …
    I like them … nothing wrong with standing with that blank stare on your face at the boat rod rack scratching your head …
    Decisions … ? Calstar vs. United Composite?
    sure glad I didn’t get off into Seeker’s …

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    Yeah … I’ve got the 7’6” Predator… wish I would have got the 8’ footer instead … you know for fishing 40# top shots …
    The 7’6” is a litter easier going down the rail, but I like an 8 foot rod … the 8’ casts better … easier to see if the rods loaded fighting a fish … easier to keep fish off of the boats hull …
    But harder to fit on most boats rod racks …

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

bradda_brandon

Dawn Butt Patrol
    Sep 27, 2016
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Too broke for one
    Lots of great suggestions listed that are plenty to choose from. In all, it goes to what you like (parabolic or faster action).

i have two: a calstar 6480 glass (which is pretty parabolic) and a UC 8' Del mar that i can fish a lil heavier if need be.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Hi CN,

There have been lots of great suggestions however there is much more to know about your specific needs and wants.. There is more to fitting a rod to a particular angler depending on hand size, tactile feel, rod length, majority of use for the stick (Live bait, dropper stuff, surface junk, etc.), if your brain and feel want a faster taper or more parabolic rod and of course budget.... if any. As you can tell by the responses, each angler may love a specific rod while the next person recommends something completely different.. Very much a user specific deal especially for what undoubtedly will be one of your main, go to, rods.. 40 pound is a standard for many uses.

When You come into our store or any professionally run tackle shop, the salesperson can start to get a feel for what you are looking for and what your tactile feel is.. We normally have a huge selection of various manufacturer's rods and blanks.. United Composites, Calstar, Blackhole, Okuma, Phenix, Graftech and more.. Even within the lineup of each manufacturer, each rod or series of rods will feel different even with the same or similar line ratings.

In my opinion, a great tackle shop will try and fit you with the first rod you want to pick up and the last rod you want to put away, for each specific fishing task or line range, during a day or more of fishing... There is no one size fits all scenario regardless how great the rods are.. One person's gold is another person's not so much..

Of course, there are those who just want a 40 pound rod and are happy fishing whatever they get but since you are asking, it would appear as if you would like more than just a generic answer.... Or not..

If You would like You are welcome to PM me and I will provide my cell phone number to discuss the various options. There is never any obligation to purchase from us regardless how much time I spend with you.. It is always my pleasure to help if I can.

Have a great season.

Respectfully,

Jamie

Listen to Jaime.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    Change My Mind 03082021212036.jpg

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    Don’t you work for United Composite ?
    😀 😁 😄
    I just refurbished my older 8’ Calstar E-glass 6480BT and 270H rods … new cork tape, butt caps, Turks heads, and the solid shrink wrap. That old 6480’s caught over 20+ wahoo over the years and my 270H has to be one of my favorites… it was a killer when the albacore were around … caught a 50#+++ Opal on it fishing for tuna on one trip … it was real tasty !
    Upvote 0