4000 reel

EfrainS.

Mar 8, 2019
Your mom
Name
Efrain
Boat
Your mom
Hello, I am looking to get a shimano sienna for the surf ($30) but wanted to hear if anyone has used them in salt and had issues? I have used the older 2500 for the surf and it did well for a cheap reel. I baby the hell out of my gear so upkeep is not a problem. Normally I would get something sealed but I cannot afford it at the moment and this reel fits my ticket. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Shimano makes fine reels, even the less expensive ones are a good value. The Daiwa BG series is also an excellent value for the dollar in a corrosive environment like surf fishing.

I don't know of a tougher situation to put a reel in than surf fishing. So no matter how well you rinse-off and maintain your reel it is going to be treated harshly. Buy what you can afford to have, and plan on replacing it eventually. It will not be passed down to your son. And a 4000 size reel is, I think, a little large for surf fishing, unless you are trying for sharks and rays. I don't use anything larger than 2500, usually 1500 size reels. You will catch way more fish using light line, not over 8 pound test, and the fight will be won or lost well within a hundred yards. So you don't need a big reel.

Reactions: EfrainS.
    E
    EfrainS.
    I also target Calicos in the surf or off structure using 15lb. big game and like the extra line holding capacity of the 4000s. I use my 2500s when I fish sand botoms and little kelp.

Shimano makes great reels at all levels. Still fishing the original Caenan baitcasters from around 2012.

Got the reel and am very pleased with how it feels. Will use tomorrow and post results. Thanks.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Okuma Californian 2500.
    Turners around $60-.
    Incredible drag and power for a trout size reel.
    6-8lb straight mono for me personally, works the best.
    You'd be amazed the size of fish you can bring in.

E
    EfrainS.
    Thanks for the suggestion, never tried okuma, will have to give them a try.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    I fished every reel in that platform... Sienna to Sahara. Keep it off the sand, keep it clean, keep it lubricated, and you should get more than $29 dollars worth of use.

I do pack grease on both ends of the body where the handle shaft enters. I'll get 2-3 years before corrosion or accidental dunk in the surf eventually kills it. I've trashed 3 reels in that platform and still have come out spending less than one Van Staal.

I prefer the 1000 and 2500 size. Have landed many big spotfin as well as plenty bycatch leopards, shovelnose, and kelp monsters.

That said, the upgrade to at least a Spinfisher VI is worth the price especially if you plan on wading out to cast beyond the breakers or reef.

Upvote 0

EfrainS.

Mar 8, 2019
    Your mom
    Name
    Efrain
    Boat
    Your mom
    Thanks for the info. A penn would be nice. I am also looking at the Daiwa Fuego 4000 for future use. Sealed reel for $100.

I have used the Sedona, Sahara, Sienna and Sonora with great success. I was not sure if the new sienna was any good but bought it anyway.

Upvote 0