40 lb. set up

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by COSDoug, Aug 24, 2016.

1. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Doug... There's a lot of info here and everyone has a personal preference. And there are newer stuff coming out on a regular basis. Here's my suggestion.

Build a couple of spread sheets. One with reel and one with rods. On your next trip, rent your gear, and ask the passengers what there go to outfit is (most guys will have at least two with them). Then ask if you can borrow it for few hours and pull on some fish. Definitely tell them what you are up to. See how you like it and make plenty of notes and a point scale... (like the chicks you rate or something of that nature).

BTW then buy a round of something to thank them for letting you touch there stuff.

Once you have one or two or maybe three. then do you price comparison, reliability, etc.

skotz likes this.
  2. Klamath17

Klamath17 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Another way to test a lot of gear and setups is to go on manufacturer-sponsored trips (Penn, Shimano, etc.). They'll usually have a wide variety of well-matched gear and equipment to try out. Although brand-specific, you can learn a lot, and the rep will be right there to answer any questions.

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  3. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Hmm... read through the entire thread and nobody has mentioned Daiwa Proteus rods. At under $200 I thought I'd try one, the 80H (20-50) with a Fath25nld (65 braid & 40 topshot). Been using it as a jig stick. I liked it so much I bought another one, the 70XH (30-60) to try with my Fath30ld (65/50) which I thought I'd try as a 40/50 lb bait rod. I'll be taking both on my upcoming 3.5 day to see how they do. :)

flickfish likes this.
  4. tailchaser930

tailchaser930 Newbie

Name:
    Tailchaser930
    Boat:
    Any
    Talica 12ii.

5. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I'm using a Seeker EX 6470, the blue model. I believe a predecessor to the first Super Seekers. The other rod is also a Seeker that I built on a CJB65H blank. Both very nice for fishing 10-12 lbs of drag. My reels are a Penn Fathom 30LD2 and a Shimano Tyrnos 12II. Both reels backed with 60 hollow for fishing short fluoro topshots for bait.

That's me. Some newer rods available and lots more reels to choose from. So many great choices!

6. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Well I had a chance to bring in a 67 lb BFT with the Proteus 70XH/ Fath30ld combo. Not as easy as it was with my 50-80 UC rod and HXW raptor (different fish same size) but quite doable. Took about twice as long with the lighter rod and reel.

7. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Do you think more of a lifting power difference between the rods or the cranking power of the reels?

8. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    x2 .. maybe a med

9. desmonic

desmonic Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Hopefully One Day
    On my recent trip, 7-day on Indy, I landed all three BFTs in 80# range on SS6470 with Talica 12II spooled with 60# spectra, 40# topshot and 3' of 40# seaguar premier fluoro for the leader. just get the drag dialed in every morning if possible.

10. tunachris

tunachris Member

Name:
    Chris Lomax
    Boat:
    none
    Another vote for Tallica 12 with #65 solid. I like a 760L Calstar.

11. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Mickeyfin

Name:
    Mickeyfin
    Boat:
    no
    For 40# A Talica 12 with 65 spectra and calstar 765xl has been the 1st rod out of the rack on every tuna trip. This will cost a little more than you wanted to spend. It's worth it imho
    Ymmv
    Go gettum, Mick

12. vjtuna

vjtuna Born Fish Killer

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    Shogun
    My #1 go to 40 lbs set for pass 10 years has been a graph fighter 800M with torium 20 w/65 braid and top shot of first string blue izorline. I fish locally and long range for any fishing scenarios (bait, long jig cast, yo yo,making bait). I've caught fish up to 122lbs YFT on this set. I think the key to ideally rod/reel set up is the rod. I can pull hard on 40 lbs with my custom GF800M the rod was built for fishing the rail. I like to be comfortable while pulling hard pressuring the fish and saving my back. The rod bends very nice and is very controllable when fish are near the gaff.
    I retired the torium for Penn 25n ld2.
    Hope this help, the choice is yours to what you want in your hand while fishing.
    You never know what might bit your line.
    This was 2cent, good luck, have a happy day.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  13. Eric_LBZ

Eric_LBZ Member

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Shogun
    For this line class i have UC US80 Tilefish with Penn Fathom 30ld2. Can handle 40-50# no problem. Landed a 100# BFT on this setup.

14. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Keep your eyes on the BD boards and consider to buy used. Lots of good deals to be had. You might be able to get 2 outfits.

15. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    I've gotta say the Penn Torque. I like the 40N, might be a little big for 40, but really like the narrow for multi use jigging, bombing, etc... JMHO.

16. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Torque or fathom 25nld2.

Calstar 875H

Sweet setup for 40 and what I use personally

short-range and ReelDealAngler like this.
  17. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Naw, easy choice because there is not a bad rec in the thread. You can't go wrong.

Besides, no such thing as only one 40# rig.

Penn Fathom/Torque 25N LD2, Calstar 700M (20-50) or 700H (30-60) your choice. That will land 95% of the fish caught from Alaska to Cabo be it fly lined bait, yo-yo or dropper.

Go with the Fathom and get a popping rig too :).

18. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    IMO there is no one perfect 40lb outfit for all the 40lb applications used in the LR arena as there are many variables: fin bait (large, medium, small?), jigs (surface, yo/yo, flat side?), artificials (lighter plugs, poppers, plastic swim baits, etc.?).

The star drag reel will out cast the lever drag reel so if you are live bait fishing with sardines, anchovies or throwing light surface iron where distance casting is key than the star drag and a longer rod (7.5 to 8 feet) is going to work much better in that application.

Some of the newer lever drag reels cast fairly well out of the box and the narrow version (smaller size) lever drag reels with lighter weight spools will allow you to cast sardines (the most used fin bait on the west coast) a decent distance with proper casting form. If you get into the larger grade tuna/yellows it's always nice to be able to use a lower gear ratio for the up/down vertical end game, but you have to remember that you can only pull so hard on 40lb line/leader in the first place (50lb is a whole different story in my experience... as you can pull much harder on 50lb without having to worry about terminal tackle failure).

If only had one choice to fish 40lb it would be with my Calstar 875H and Tiburon SST 7530 with 50lb to 65lb (stepped up) solid Spectra for better line capacity to a short 3-4 foot fluoro carbon 40lb leader. I've caught tuna, yellowtail, wahoo and bass with this outfit (largest a 92lb YFT). With that said Calstar 875H rods or blanks are tough to find right now especially so with Calstar's very limited production these days, and the Tiburon SST 7530 is no longer being made so you would have to buy it used. For a reel substitute I have used and really like the Penn Torque lever drag reels in the 25N & 30 size as they cast well out of the box and function smoothly (the Fathom is a lower priced version that works well too, but you generally get what you pay for and the higher end product is worth it if you are going to use it more often and can afford it of course). United Composite is producing a lot of new rods/ blanks and if the 875H Calstar was not easily found I would definitely check out their product and try to match the Calstar 875H action as best you could (I'm not familiar with UC's 40lb to 50lb, 7' to 7.5' rods/blanks so can't recommend a specific model but I have been very satisfied with several of UC's larger cow tuna blanks that I have used and own.

My 2 cents.

G

19. jigstickjeff

jigstickjeff Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    BZ T-10
    Calstar BTG 6480 with Accurate BX2 500.

20. Rmpsocal

Rmpsocal Newbie

Name:
    Rich P.
    Boat:
    None
    Talica 12 2-Speed filled with 400 yards of 80# Maxcuatro and a 40# wind-on leader. Matched with a Shimano Teramar 7'6" Heavy.