efx

Almost A Member
Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
I like driving the boat, paying attention, getting to know the sea state and it’s changes. Autopilots seem to make people lazy. Good for trolling but not my thing. I get another crew member to drive.

Reactions: OnoEric and repo805
Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
An autopilot is not a substitute skipper.

Upvote 0

neil c

Fish Killing Fool
Mar 28, 2011
long beach / rainbow harbor / shoreline village
Name
neil
Boat
34 Radovich/ Four Reel Sportfishing
Out of pure luck everyone is ok. "Captain set auto pilot and fell asleep", said repo85. Lots of us run all night, I run two people on watch at night just for this reason. Tankers, Cruz Liners, many boats run the track between SCI and Cat are going by rules of the road at night, your red and green light thingies on the side of your boat. Most avoid close calls by radar but not everyone has one and if there is no one at the wheel, WTH is the point anyways. To fall asleep running a boat is pure neglect on the captains part. I have been running boats as a captain for 21years and have never put my customers or friends at risk on a boat. If you find yourself knotting off, open a window, let a cool breeze in, coffee if you have it and watch each other occasionally so you both don't fall asleep. I know it can be tough keeping your eyes open at night after a long day in the sun but please don't put yourself or anyone in danger. Keep two people at watch always. Only you will have to live with it for the rest of your days if you kill someone. Well this sucks for a bad ass boat, glad everyone is ok and hopefully it opens a few eyes what not to do at night. Good luck this summer catching!!!

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Autopilot is fine if you have someone on watch who can read a radar and take the wheel when necessary. I won’t sleep on boat that does not have a live person at the wheel. Sad. I am glad everyone is okay but it sucks to see a boat like that get totaled. These post are good to read. Just makes me more determined to stay focused out there and think of the people on my boat who are depending on me to bring them home. We all have a tremendous amount of responsibility whether we are a licensed captain or not. For many of us it is our boat and ultimately our responsibility. Be safe out there.

John

Upvote 0

Andrey320

May 8, 2013
Calabasas
Name
Andrey
Boat
Boston Whaler Dauntless 15
Holly shit Nick!!! THAT IS CRAZY!!! I did a double take when I saw who posted that. I'm glad to hear you're okay buddy.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
In my personal experience and all around good rule of thumb (or dumb) is no one is at the helm more than 3 hours at a time at night alone and never anyone who has not has some sleep (not a nap... nap = 20 min-2 hours sleep= 2 or more hours) within the last 10 hours... but that's just me and how I run the boat... and the key thing to remember here is that no one died or got severly hurt thank GOD, Neptune or whomever your deity of choice... This could have easily been MUCH MUCH worse regardless of the reason why it happened.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Something I learned from old man Helgren in Oceanside, never set your autopilot for the middle of an island. Always set it up to go pass the island one mile or so to either side of the island that way if something stupid happens you just go past it. Glad everybody lived.

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
A little off topic...but I hate lobster hooping in tight to shore...I’ve got a small boat, and I’ll never hoop with less than 3 people. One guy at the wheel, one guy dumping hoops, and one person on the anchor (and probably this isn’t enough in bad conditions.)

Its amazing we don’t hear more bad stories. I’m hyper aware to what can go wrong.....the story of this Bertram is so sad...completely avoidable.

We live and learn I guess.

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
Something I learned from old man Helgren in Oceanside, never set your autopilot for the middle of an island. Always set it up to go pass the island one mile or so to either side of the island that way if something stupid happens you just go past it. Glad everybody lived.
You would think kissing one island is enough to have learned that... But two?

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    I like driving the boat, paying attention, getting to know the sea state and it’s changes. Autopilots seem to make people lazy. Good for trolling but not my thing. I get another crew member to drive.

I’m with you on this, especially in small boats. I can make small adjustments and steer through the chop for a smoother ride, which is something an auto-pilot can’t do.

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

mrjjwiley

Captain
    Jun 11, 2008
    Pico Rivera, California
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    40 Bertram
    I usually would never reply to the couch fisherman on this site that never go fishing and just talk crap but I have to say a few things to clear the air. First off I am not a charter boat and never was. I happened to have a good career that pays enough to afford the good things in life. I have a few friends and always looking for more to help pay for the costs because I like to go fishing and it is not cheap. I know I fucked up by dozing at the wheel and I apologized sincerely to all aboard and promised to get them whole again for their lost gear. I lost all of mine because I had no coverage for personal items and gear and the insurance money for the boat doesn't even cover what I owe on it. My friends are being compensated just as I promised them. I am not a millionaire just because I have a good job but I am a man of my word. I should of had everyone take turns driving but for some reason I didn't and I cant change that now. The Coast Guard was there in time to help us. All we needed was a pump and to be towed away from the island. They had that gear on board but would not even give it a try. The leaks were not major but steady and the bilge pump kept flipping the breaker but was keeping up. The only reason I left the boat myself was they told me they had TowBoat US on the way and they would be there in a few minutes. They were going to pump it out and tow it to a drydock and we were going to meet up later to get our gear and belongings. Everyone aboard heard that same thing. In any event there was 4 hours of daylight left when we last saw the boat so how can I not believe that TowBoat US was not on the way. Either the Harbor Patrol lied to me or Vessel assist dropped the ball they never showed up until the morning and I know for a fact they were aware of the boat being back there the day before because I spoke with them. When I asked where my boat was the said they had told the coast guard they were not going to get the boat until the morning around 8:00 AM but that's not what I was told. Nevertheless I received a citation for thousands for the fuel spill that no one ever saw. not a drop anywhere because it evaporated. No clean up costs. They charted how many gallons I told them I thought was in there and sent me the ticket. They could have prevented what happened but failed to help me. I am still trying to figure that one out. There is so much more to the story but in the end I lost. Probably for the better because after reading a few posts everyone else here is perfect and never makes mistakes. So say good bye to the bad guy with all your cocky jokes it may be the last time you ever have the chance. I'm out

Jeff

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
    Apr 22, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Grumpy
    God everyone is safe. There is always lessons to be learned.
    Lessons learned here;
    -Take shifts at night
    -Second and/or 3rd captain at night
    -Auto pilot set off course from land
    -Be prepared with coffee, energy drink or whatever your poison is
    -Be careful who’s boat you jump on

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
    May 23, 2010
    Hb, ca
    Name
    Nomad
    Boat
    Parker 2120 Nomad
    I usually would never reply to the couch fisherman on this site that never go fishing and just talk crap but I have to say a few things to clear the air. First off I am not a charter boat and never was. I happened to have a good career that pays enough to afford the good things in life. I have a few friends and always looking for more to help pay for the costs because I like to go fishing and it is not cheap. I know I fucked up by dozing at the wheel and I apologized sincerely to all aboard and promised to get them whole again for their lost gear. I lost all of mine because I had no coverage for personal items and gear and the insurance money for the boat doesn't even cover what I owe on it. My friends are being compensated just as I promised them. I am not a millionaire just because I have a good job but I am a man of my word. I should of had everyone take turns driving but for some reason I didn't and I cant change that now. The Coast Guard was there in time to help us. All we needed was a pump and to be towed away from the island. They had that gear on board but would not even give it a try. The leaks were not major but steady and the bilge pump kept flipping the breaker but was keeping up. The only reason I left the boat myself was they told me they had TowBoat US on the way and they would be there in a few minutes. They were going to pump it out and tow it to a drydock and we were going to meet up later to get our gear and belongings. Everyone aboard heard that same thing. In any event there was 4 hours of daylight left when we last saw the boat so how can I not believe that TowBoat US was not on the way. Either the Harbor Patrol lied to me or Vessel assist dropped the ball they never showed up until the morning and I know for a fact they were aware of the boat being back there the day before because I spoke with them. When I asked where my boat was the said they had told the coast guard they were not going to get the boat until the morning around 8:00 AM but that's not what I was told. Nevertheless I received a citation for thousands for the fuel spill that no one ever saw. not a drop anywhere because it evaporated. No clean up costs. They charted how many gallons I told them I thought was in there and sent me the ticket. They could have prevented what happened but failed to help me. I am still trying to figure that one out. There is so much more to the story but in the end I lost. Probably for the better because after reading a few posts everyone else here is perfect and never makes mistakes. So say good bye to the bad guy with all your cocky jokes it may be the last time you ever have the chance. I'm out

Jeff

Definitely owned it.

Coulda happened to anyone with the right circumstances.

LIVE and learn. Happy all are ok. Everything material is replaceable.

Upvote 0

GOFAST88

WORKHARD-FISHHARD
    Sep 8, 2012
    Murrieta
    Name
    Tyler
    Boat
    14' Livingston

Jeff[/QUOTE

Humbling experiences change men to the core....
    Being a man and owning your mistakes is rare in this world, at this day in age. I was lucky enough for my father to instill this fact as a young man. Hopefully this opens peoples eyes, and they think about the next time they press the auto button.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
    May 23, 2010
    Hb, ca
    Name
    Nomad
    Boat
    Parker 2120 Nomad
    I guess you gotta like a man who fucks up and and then owns it. More than some would do. Glad everyone is safe.

Most guys would never write a post and admit the weak point in the chain. Half the people on here won’t admit how close they anchored off the stern of a sport boat.

What’s always interesting to me is....why does auto pilot not have a redundancy “safety threshold” that engages disengagement.

Why is this not standard. Shit..if your heading is straight for an island...should ap disengage?

Just because you set a heading...I feel that ap should disengage during an obviously catastrophic heading (ie island straight within your course.).

I’m no expert...but if I had ap....damn..this feature would be amazing. I’m sure it probably exists within the system. Atleast I hope.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sdchronix
    Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    "What’s always interesting to me is....why does auto pilot not have a redundancy “safety threshold” that engages disengagement."

Autopilot is a misnomer, it is not "auto-captain". The device is designed to maintain course to a destination with continuous oversight by the Captain. Auto pilot can reduce fuel use by eliminating unintended course deviation and added distance.

Reactions: Tuna-Sniper
    Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat

Jeff

Appreciate you coming on and admitting fault, but please don’t play your the victim game. You put yourself on that situation and now you have to pay the piper. Stop placing blame on Harbor Patrol or Vessel Assist for losing your boat. Or the CG for giving you a ticket. It was you. Again, thanks for being at least stand up enough to admit you screwed up, but don’t shift blame to anyone else for losing your boat and gear.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.