Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
1) That is not true. Law enforcement is not subject to HIPAA. https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/guidance-materials-for-consumers/index.html

2) Possibly

3) Sometimes people surprise you with doing the unimaginable. It's life. We are human after all.

I agree we all should reserve judgement until more facts are presented.
I have to disagree with you re HIPPA. This officer referred to known persons and discussed their medical treatment to THE WORLD. I think that is a violation. Cops can be made aware of a person's medical TX....but they can't identify the patient and then broadcast this info to everybody. I am not a lawyer...but I know what I was bound by when I was on the job.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread so I will shut up now.

stinkfinger1

Jul 28, 2013
West Covina
Name
Brian
Boat
n/a
I have to disagree with you re HIPPA. This officer referred to known persons and discussed their medical treatment to THE WORLD. I think that is a violation. Cops can be made aware of a person's medical TX....but they can't identify the patient and then broadcast this info to everybody. I am not a lawyer...but I know what I was bound by when I was on the job.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread so I will shut up now.
Cool. That's your opinion. No one was directly named. But you should review the link I responded with earlier. It touches on examples of who is NOT required to follow HIPAA and what information is protected. If you won't click the link or research for yourself here's a snip from the .gov website.

1600980915506.png

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
on the boat for a 10 day oct 5th. we will see
IMO. I don't see the Shogun leaving the dock for months. I bet the insurance company pulls their policy with the owner and the bank will not let the boat move without insurance.

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Tee-Oh-Double-Dee
Boat
Small raft
This type of shit is more common than you think - usually it’s the passengers who party or use drugs. I’ve fished with other passengers on the boat, and I knew they were on drugs - I could never understand why someone would pay hundreds of dollars to be drugged up on a boat. I’ve also seen deckhands who look like they’ve had there fair share of drugs and alcohol, it wouldn’t surprise me if they cops find a Bindle of Fentanyl on one of the crew members - is it too far of a stretch to think - no one is on the boat, they just got back from a trip, captain is gone, one guy offer his buddies a little “bump” - tells them to take it easy cuz this stuff is strong - they all go into the bathroom and hit that shit too hard. If that is how it is, then people should loose their jobs and never be allowed on a sport boat.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
This type of shit is more common than you think - usually it’s the passengers who party or use drugs. I’ve fished with other passengers on the boat, and I knew they were on drugs - I could never understand why someone would pay hundreds of dollars to be drugged up on a boat. I’ve also seen deckhands who look like they’ve had there fair share of drugs and alcohol, it wouldn’t surprise me if they cops find a Bindle of Fentanyl on one of the crew members - is it too far of a stretch to think - no one is on the boat, they just got back from a trip, captain is gone, one guy offer his buddies a little “bump” - tells them to take it easy cuz this stuff is strong - they all go into the bathroom and hit that shit too hard. If that is how it is, then people should loose their jobs and never be allowed on a sport boat.
I think I'm high on every trip I go on , High on Fishing.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I just seen Renee in a video talking with police, So he wasn't the one of the Captains someone said was hauled away on a stretcher.. I just seen another video and I believe it was Paul (the other Captain) talking to the police with Renee.

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
We can Speculate all we want, but we should not be making ANY accusations until ALL the facts are available. A lot of accusations and speculations are happening around this country on Police shootings before ALL the fact are in. Everybody seems to want to RUSH to judgement based on what they have heard or been told by others.

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Doubtful, but I hope the 3-day passengers that got stiffed get their $$ back... including the parking fee. And a voucher isn't the same as a refund.

Reactions: Sdchronix

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
Usually no one is trying to use fentanyl, its used as cut in other drugs to make them stronger or to make pills into something they are not.

Most overdoses on fentanyl I have seen are someone trying to use what they thought was oxy, heroine, or another drug.

Let's not speculate on the reason why, or say i have seen deck hands who look out of it or on something. I lived in addiction for years , its my wife's profession, I also worked in it for a time. I cant spot someone high a mile away , and I see it everywhere all walks of life , it should surprise nobody if a deckhand was high anymore then your kids teacher. There are alot of functional addicts.

There are a million reasons someone reaches out for a crutch in drugs or alcohol, no one wants to be a addict, im positive the boat would have fired them if they knew, im guessing most boats drug test but nothing is 100%.

I work for a large company with tons of commercial drivers who get tested constantly and some slip through , ive seen multiple commercial drivers in big trucks arrested for dwi on the job. It wasnt the employers fault they take measures as im guessing the boats do.

Ita a sad situation, also scary, I hope the boat puts this past them learns something and gets back to fishing. I hope the long range community takes a closer look at possible issues. I hope maybe someone on this board thinks man I knew that crew all good guys wow I didn't see it, how? Then realizes maybe there is somebody in my life like that , that I dont see.

Ill get off my mis spelled terrible grammer soap box now, just something very personal to me.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Sure were a lot of cops there, you'd think they found Pablo Escobar or something. Crazy times.
My bet is they're not hard core junkies, just looking to take a little edge off before they go out again and got something far stronger than they thought. Be tough to support a drug habit on a deckhands $.
Drugs are rampant in all walks of life, no reason these guys should be band for life, we all make mistakes. Shit, I'd be banned from most things from the deeds of my mis-spent youth

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
“More common than we think”. I’ve never ever heard of 4 crew members ODing at the very same time. I agree That some passengers find a way but never ever had this happen. So this is very uncommon IMO. Boat won’t move until they find out exactly what and how this happened. Accidentally or Intentional, we will wait to hear but it strikes me as strange. Not impossible to believe anything but certainly not common.

Reactions: Sdchronix

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It never surprises me when people start defending these boat employees over shit like this.Accidental exposure to Fentanyl ? Give me a break.The stuff is used as a cut for so many illicit opiate related drugs.Heroin usually.It's probably a safe bet to assume these guys were using and it was no accident.What does surprise me is the boat that it happened on.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
well guys, it's all speculation at this point. I saw the report about Capt. being one of the affected crew... Unfortunately alot of people still see the news and think it's all FACT, which of course, it is NOT.
All the mudslinging just paints a bigger black eye on "our" industry. My suggestion would be, don't add fuel to the fire.

.....just my $.02

Capitano

Aug 16, 2020
San Diego
Name
Andrea Bosforo
Boat
Parker 2300 CC DV
What a sad story! I am supposed to leave on a 3 day trip on 9/29 I guess I will wait for the cancellation call. Checked for other boats running 3 days trips finding 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
well guys, it's all speculation at this point. I saw the report about Capt. being one of the affected crew... Unfortunately alot of people still see the news and think it's all FACT, which of course, it is NOT.
All the mudslinging just paints a bigger black eye on "our" industry. My suggestion would be, don't add fuel to the fire.

.....just my $.02
What's speculation ?

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
It comes in patch form for serious pain.
The patch wont kill you. It's when you extract the medicine from the patch and ingest it or cut it with another illegal drug that's when the bad times happen. I just find it weird that 4 people overdosed. To me that just doesn't seem like they were trying to get loaded, but I am no expert.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Google Cop exposed to Fentanyl to see an Oklahoma cop collapse from contact with Fentanyl while handling drugs with gloves on. I’ll wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.