4/28/2014 Great White Shark ate my AHI! Video

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Morris Lures, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE- Lil Toot 3
    Long story short while fighting a good size ahi yesterday we had a shark eat it or attempt to eat it. Got the fish within 40 feet of the boat and we could see color straight down. The reel went from zero to full speed in a matter of seconds. I guess the ahi saw the shark and made a run for the surface. Right at the surface the shark came airborne for the fish and cut the line. Its hard to see in the video because of the distance but the shark looked to be easily over 12' and super wide with a very white under belly. Im no shark expert but everyone who has seen the video says it looks like a white.

Lost 2 Ahi's the last 2 trips. Hopefully we can stick one soon.

da eslits and gonefishing8875 like this.
  2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Nick and Capt Ahab,
    It sucks you lost him, but man that's a once in a lifetime event for sure. There was quite a discussion around the first thought to be Great White, then turned out to be Mako, when those guys had just boated a marlin (shark was circling the boat) outside Waianae back a few years ago. Hard to tell, but since that last one was most likely a Mako, I think the one in your video was a White, nothing scientific about my theory.

No worries, you guys will get the next one, ahi that is.

Cheers
    Pat

3. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Congrats for getting the ahi to bite. Bummer on your bad luck these past two weeks. Your luck will turn. You guys always end up high on the score board each year.

4. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Nick and Capt Ahab,
    Sorry to hear about the losses. Such a helpless feeling to see a predator like a shark or a pilot whale come up to the ahi and just eat them right in front of your very eyes! A few years ago my friend and I hooked into a estimated 120lb ahi only to see a pod of pilot whales start to 'porpoise' toward our ahi and proceed to eat it! All it left us was the head of the ahi!
    Wow, hooked 2 Ahis in 2 weeks and losing both of them is tough....atleast you got the bites
    ....looks like we may have a decent ahi season (I'm hoping)! You'll get em next time!

5. finishright

finishright Member

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    SUCKS THE TAX MAN GOT YOU QUADALUPE ISLAND OFF MEXICO HAS MANY GW THEY HANG OUT UNDER THE BOAT AND WAIT THEN BAM THEY HAVE AHI DINNER YOU SAY SHIT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE FISH ZEROED IN YOULL GET'EM

6. tailspin808

tailspin808 Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Shirley C.
    That sucks to lose an Ahi like that. Great that your finding them though. Go get another one!! =P Tight lines bro!!

7. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Wow, that's crazy. What an aggressive shark.

8. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Bummers on the fish, Nick. At least you getting the strikes! Good luck on the next outing, hope you get 'em then...