4/25/18 1/2 day on the Patriot

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Jigslinger, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I wasn't planning on posting a report. But seeing how there are alot of guys interested in the local yellows bite I'll post one and maybe it'll help somebody out.

Had the time yesterday so of course wanted to go fishing. Initially planned on the San Diego or Liberty to chase bluefin offshore. But couldn't find anyone to go with me and didn't want to make the solo drive south. Decided to jump on the 1/2 day Patriot out of Newport Landing. They've had two consecutive days of hitting local yellows and I was hoping it'll extend to a 3rd day. Was also hoping for a light load.

I arrived at the landing to find about 30 people already purchased tickets. There goes that hope for a light load. Oh well soldier on. We left with about 35 people I think.

I didn't have any information before hand about how these yellows were caught so I brought 4 setups to cover everything. Flyline, yoyo, surface iron, and a slow pitch type jig that I wanted to try.

We boarded right on time. The Patriot is a great boat and crew if you haven't fished with them. Awesome galley. We picked up some great sardines at the barge and proceed to exit the harbor making a right turn north. Captain said it'll be about an hour ride. We arrived at the mussel farm about an hour later and saw about 1/2 dozen boats there. Proceeded to set up on anchor and started to fish. The birds weren't too active at this time and not too much was going on. I flylined a sardine after being told that all the fish caught the last couple of days have been with this method. I lasted for a couple of baits before calling it quits and headed up the bow to throw surface iron. We spent a little over an hour there for not even a nibble. Captain decided to make a run to the rigs to check things out and do a little rockfishing while we wait and an afternoon bite.

Got to the rigs and metered around for nothing. Captain proceed to some rockpile nearby at what seems like the 150 spot. Even the rockfish were slow to turn on this day. The ones that did bit were aquarium size. I spent that time chilling in the galley with a cold drink. A little while later the captain said let's go back for yellows. Sounds good to me.

As we approached the mussel farm again the birds were going nuts. Didn't see any other boats around at this time. Perfect! Maybe something will materialized. We got to the birds and didn't see any boils under them. Captain positioned the boat and dropped anchor. So with renewed enthusiasm we started flylining again. I got through with my first bait on a long soak. I thought let's wind this in and throw iron again. I wound in my bait and was on my way to the rack. One of the guys I was chatting with on this trip yells out 'Fresh one!' I made a u-turn and pin on another bait. Tossed it out of the starboard side. The yellows were moving through and this could be our only shot. Within 30 seconds I, along with a few others, were bit! Fish on! Hot rail! Chaos ensued but luckily we were able to land all 5 hookups. Then they were gone. We made the most of our one opportunity for the day.

Fish were about 7-10lbs. Not bad for a local 1/2 trip. Patriot is a great boat. I'll definitely fish with them again soon.

I recently purchased a GoPro to document my trips this season to share with friends. Here's the link to check it out.

Tight lines!

2. Tvdan

Tvdan Captain

Name:
    Dan Hernandez
    Boat:
    Mi Sueno
    very nice report, thanks!

Jigslinger likes this.
  3. nu2reels

nu2reels I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None, I like others to drive
    Thanks for taking the time to update us.

Jigslinger likes this.
  4. Tunachaser976

Tunachaser976 Newbie

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Striper 21
    That’s great, glad you got one. I’ve fished that place before and it is hit or miss at times. Thank you for the report. Good luck on your next trip.

Jigslinger likes this.
  5. Pjstevko

Pjstevko Member

Name:
    PJ Stevko
    Boat:
    N/A
    When you were on the bow with your irons were you letting them sink first before you started your retrieve?

6. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    If you watched the video you can see that I was letting the iron sink before retrieving on some casts. I always vary my retrieves.

7. Pjstevko

Pjstevko Member

Name:
    PJ Stevko
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for taking the time to reply....

Having never fished surface irons before I was just curious as to the technique... I always assumed since it's called a surface iron I figured it was retrieved on the surface but like I said I've never fished an iron before......

Jigslinger likes this.
  8. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    No worries. There are times when signs of surface activities are present (boils, puddlers, etc) you'd want to retrieve quickly after the iron lands. There are other times when you'd want it to sink out a little bit before retrieving. Find out what works on that particular day and duplicate the process.

the SLIDER likes this.
  9. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    What about changing jigs? weight, color, size and action. would you trust/support a swivel for instant change? For bass I'm fixed on a leadhead for depth of where I'm fishing, only have to remove the plastic for color, instant. In kelp I re-tie a lot of different stuff and have plenty of time to do

Thanks, the SLIDER

Dave Hansen likes this.
  10. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I'm not a proponent of swivel for jigs so I don't use them at all. As for changing jigs, I don't really do that unless I'm not getting bit and others around me are. Then I'd switch to something similar to what they're using. When I'm on a trip where I know ahead of time I'll be doing alot of surface iron fishing I'd usually bring a few setups to handle different size jigs. Smaller irons like Tady A1, medium ones like Tady 45, and bigger ones like the Salas 7X.

the SLIDER likes this.
  11. tmines

tmines Dead Engine :(

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    SkipJack 20 Open
    One is better than none. I sure really appreciate the local report, thanks a lot. It's good to know there's some activity starting to happen. Looking forward to getting out next month after all work is done.

Jigslinger likes this.
  12. vincentek9

vincentek9 halibut suck

Name:
    Vince
    Boat:
    AVparker
    thanks for the detailed report. The word was already out but yesterday seemed to be a down day. might try for them this weekend, but we'll turn around and fish for halibut if we see a parking lot.

13. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    An adventurous 1/2 day trip, way to go guys!

14. beerman1

beerman1 Member

Name:
    eric
    Boat:
    triumph 17 CC
    Where the heck is the Mussel Farm?

FLIPPERBOY likes this.
  15. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Not here:
    images.jpg

Tuna_Chaser and fish&snow like this.
  16. tmines

tmines Dead Engine :(

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    SkipJack 20 Open
    approx. six miles out of huntington beach, not far from izors but not as far as the 150

17. IrieMitch

IrieMitch Waterman

Name:
    Mitch
    Boat:
    Captain of Fight On! (55 Viking), Thunderbird Sportfishing
    Good Fishing with you!

Glad you got one, I was enjoying the show of 30 guys all trying to fish the stern!

Jigslinger likes this.
  18. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Good fishing with you as well! It was combat fishing for sure. lol

19. Caseymcv

Caseymcv Old man

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    In my dreams
    John runs a good boat..

IrieMitch and hanapah like this.
  20. GOTTEM

GOTTEM Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    N/A
    @Jigslinger Hey Greg it's Kevin! it was great sharing the rail with you... until next time

IrieMitch likes this.