4/20 Poseidon full moon bluefin bite

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by ycnibrc, Apr 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ycnibrc

ycnibrc Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Hook Up
    92079E08-578A-4CA8-8C00-086550B57F7F.jpeg B0C725F2-5CA0-4FC6-8403-3C110712F60E.jpeg AF3F1CB9-BFE2-4AD5-B94F-EAD79DE50B42.jpeg Well this will be an honest review which mean good n bad will be post. This is a 1 3/4 trip so we start on Friday morning at 11am. Drive all day and get to the bluefin ground around 7pm for our first stop. We caught about 4 lost 4 it was windy and April weather is not August so it's cold make sure u bring warm clothes. Every fish was on sardine. 40# 1 or 1/0 hook is the best set up. Make sure tie a long fluoro at least 10ft or more to get more bite. About 830pm it was dark and some try flat fall with no luck. Next morning sat we were up around 530am and start searching for tuna school around 6am we hit a jackpot and we stay there until 5pm. Tuna was jumping like dolphins around the boat lol the bite was consistently 5 hook up all the time. 40# test 1 hook and u have to fight a 60# bluefin is no joke. Average 30min fight for pro 45min for good , amateur no chance to bring it up by yourself need a deck hand to land the fish. We caught like 50 but we lost like 50 from pull hook to line break to miss gaft to line tangle. There is one hung ho enough to throw down a 30# line and took him 3hrs 10 min to land a 60lb bluefin lol lucky for him we park all day so no one care. But the bluefin is very weird if u go up on line then you don't get bit some how they only bite 40 or below and small hook like 1. The kite was a successful within 5 min bam hook up. Fish is pretty good size average 60 or more only 2 30# 1 hit 100lb.

Ok now good n bad about the boat.
    Good
    Nice and clean boat just remodel recently
    Energetic crew young and enthusiastic
    Captain Hunter although he is young but handle himself very well always a smile on his face. Running up and down helping like a deck hand.
    A/C sleeping area very comfortable
    Decent load 22
    Food is above average

Bad
    Rail is very slim if someone fishing rail then hard to pass especially big tuna will pull u up n down at least 4 time.
    Tackle box area small and not open so u can put your rod in the rod holders of your tackle box unless u put your box on the floor.
    Not enough rod holders some don't have place to put rod
    No bottle water ticket price was food inclusive but u need to pay 20$ for 2 days soda, coffee and water And NO BOTTLE WATER lol.
    No sliding window in the galley so when cooking time it's hard to breathe if u stay in the galley.

And I never go on a boat that before we park the boat there is an announcement to tell you how much to tip they recommend tipping 15 to 20 percent and keep repeating lol. It make it an awkward situation.
    Anyway we have a good trip fish are biting so no complain. If you go out 40# 2 speed size 1 hook and tie a long fluoro get a good bait cast in the water and hang on for your life a 70lb bluefin on 40# line is no joke.

2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Some interesting information there.

FishAcquisition and Huntersmoon like this.
  3. Huntersmoon

Huntersmoon Member

Name:
    nombre
    Boat:
    no
    All sounds good except the tip part...if someone suggests or hints about that, 100% not getting one for that reason, and I’ll be happy to explain why to them. If the captain and crew are counting on that as salary, then it’s time to bump up the trip price and pay them accordingly.
    Any tip given with a smile and a thank you, is better than no tip at all....tips are earned, not expected.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. bullyo

bullyo Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    None
    Not good at all. Feels like a hustle and definitely not a boat I would go on if that type of announcement is something they continue

KCiuchta and FishAcquisition like this.
  5. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    This boat is known for doing shady shit, now and in the past. Nothing surprises me about this this boat and crew.

6. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Sounds like a tacky ass operation . No thanks !!!

FishAcquisition likes this.
  7. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    At the end of every trip that I have been on
    The captain all ways comes on the speaker, and thanks everyone for coming out
    With them , and he hopes that every one takes care of the crew , because they work hard for you, they all ask for tips

Caseymcv and Mk6_Robbie like this.
  8. Mk6_Robbie

Mk6_Robbie Well Known Tuna Tickler

Name:
    Robbie
    Boat:
    Ducati Panigale
    Not really fair to say, considering its a brand new owner and crew...

They shouldn't inherit the sins of the past...

Honestly speaking, those guys work their ass off for every single dime they make. (NOT JUST THE POSIEDON CREW, BUT MOST CREWS IN SOCAL)

I've seen guys on multi-day trips request significant amount of help from the
    crew, LIMIT OUT and then turn around and tip $10?

That's shitty.

Ill tip those guys well because I love the sport, I love the passion that these guys, especially Captain Hunters operation brings to the table.

I don't really care if they announce it over the PA or not!

9. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Thanks for the honest report.

Maybe it wasn’t an entirely perfect trip, and maybe the boat, like any other boat, can keep on improving how they operate, but I’m glad y’all caught some awesome fish!

KCiuchta likes this.
  10. Mk6_Robbie

Mk6_Robbie Well Known Tuna Tickler

Name:
    Robbie
    Boat:
    Ducati Panigale
    Its tacky not to tip the crew what they deserve when they bust their ass!

I was hesitant to ride that boat last year because of all the nonsense people had to say about it.

From the ONE time I did ride it I discovered that,

Captain Hunter, is a 20-21 year old young man that not only knows how to
    find and catch fish but to run a stand up operation.

albster, KCiuchta, fishstomp and 3 others like this.
  11. ycnibrc

ycnibrc Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Hook Up
    Everyone tip the crew however I never have instruction to tell me how much is to tip. It was on the loud speaker quote "the crew work hard for u the gratuity rate is 20 percent just like u go to the restaurant and repeat and repeat lol. Learn from the intrepid the tip envelope no one see u put in there what ever u feel to give here if u tip less than 20% u look cheap lol

Mk6_Robbie likes this.
  12. ycnibrc

ycnibrc Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Hook Up
    My report have both good and bad he's an awesome young captain lol if I have his look I will in the tight light movie.

13. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I agree with you on crews getting stiffed, But the negative comes from the same crew (Not when it was the pacific star. Look at some past threads about being OVER CHARGED by the boat, Automatically cleaning all the fish at $5.00 to $8.00 per fish (even if you didn't want them cleaned),, Coming back to the dock 1 day early from a 2 day trip because they caught double limits on day one and not even going for yellowtail along the beach for day 2,, I CAN KEEP GOING, But that's enough of a start. P.S Also his Mother fights his battles for him (Hunter)

2-5-Triple and tom cychner like this.
  14. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Great report with insight to improve the catch!

15. bullyo

bullyo Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    None
    Mentioning to take care of the crew is ok by me. But bringing up a percentage and repeating it wouldn't have the same feel to me

16. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Let’s face it at 21 you don’t know much. Awesome captain wouldn’t have this problem with people not happy about how they are treated.

Keep in mind the fleet had limits today so Bluefin Fishing isn’t that tough at the moment. Usually takes a many years to have the whole package. I hope he becomes awesome we can’t have too many of those.

KCiuchta likes this.
  17. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    The tip thing shouldn't be suggested.What gets me is the drink thing.You're forced to pay 20 bucks ? what if you only drink water ? and it's not even bottled.I'd have a problem with that.

18. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    I disagree. What the OP said was that they were telling you how much to tip. Repeatedly.

Reminding the passengers to take care of the crew is one thing, telling you HOW MUCH is completely different.

For this and some other reasons, I'll pass on this operation.

19. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Wow. I have to be missing something here.

This is a 21 year old Captain running a new to him boat if I understand this right?

Some of your comments are really a little too strong.

I love the comment about Bluefin fishing being easy just because most of the fleet got limits?! LOL. I would bet you 50-60% of the guys on those boats, maybe even more than that, are catching most of those fish.

I am curious about this boat. It looks super clean and fishy just by looking at it and maybe i’ll jump on it before the end of the year.

20. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Catching fish is just one part of having a good time, sounds like the mixed review states " go find a boat that does both"!

makairaa and popx5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.