Islands 4/2 Friday night Toronado out of Pierpoint Landing roll call!

PENN

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Light load so far this Friday night. There’s about 7 of my friends and other regulars on this overnight trip with owner Joe and Captain Ray. The Seabass have been biting a bit same with the yellows from what captain Ray has been saying. We will be pitching in extra for some squid from the receiver or making it our self. But either or this should be a good trip. Bringing the yo yo for sure, and my favorite colors for spring time Yellows.

Captain Ray said we will be focusing on Seabass and Yellows on this trip at Clemente. Leaving the rockfish as a last resort. If any of y’all want a shot at yellows and Seabass and leaving the rockfish for later days this is the one to get on with a light load. I’ll report back hopefully with good news. Have a good week y’all

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Seems a Great Plan. Good luck !

Thanks FlatPack will definitely report back, and give the anglers the inside scoop like I normally do. Not many are fishing the islands up here that I’ve noticed. Most are on that rockfish grind because it’s easy money for the sport boats and easy load ups for the private boaters. Fishing inside? And being one of the few boats with the bait capacity to do it. I’m eager to see what we can dig up.

Reactions: DaveyK and FlatPack

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Good Luck let get the party started at SCI!!

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    windy.com is trash - but the 15 knots it forecasts is the worst of it.

mixed swell from W NW <3' @ 6 secs, groundswell from S <3' @ 16 seconds...

Thanks for the update on the conditions. There’s a couple spots that Thunderbird wants to check out also tomorrow. We will be working with Captain Jeff on the thunderbird as our buddy boat. Should be a good trip.

thanks again for the conditions report. Hopefully y’all have a blessed weekend

fish&snow

lurker
    May 27, 2014
    Name
    James
    Boat
    Reel Freedom
    Why does it feel like someone always has to leave a comment about it being windy on an upcoming trip? Multiple forecasts of nice weather.

Because it’s gonna be 10 to 20 knots with 4-6ft seas. Btw Sorry about your feelings of someone leaving a comment about the weather. I hope my post did not ruin your day or weekend.

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Sounds like this is going to be a good trip! I haven't been on the Toronado in years, have to make a plan to get back on her this season. Let us know how you do!

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Because it’s gonna be 10 to 20 knots with 4-6ft seas. Btw Sorry about your feelings of someone leaving a comment about the weather. I hope my post did not ruin your day or weekend.

I used the same website as you did. The weather won’t get worst than 14 knots. Not sure why you’re trying to take a crap on someone’s fishing trip, and others who are going out this weekend. Here’s Pyramid area. And the worst of what it will be the entire day is 14 knots. And that’s still fishable.

1617411831051.png

Reactions: [email protected]

fish&snow

lurker
    May 27, 2014
    Name
    James
    Boat
    Reel Freedom
    I used the same website as you did. The weather won’t get worst than 14 knots. Not sure why you’re trying to take a crap on someone’s fishing trip, and others who are going out this weekend. Here’s Pyramid area. And the worst of what it will be the entire day is 14 knots. And that’s still fishable.
    Not trying to knock anyone’s trip. i wish all the anglers the best when on the water. Safety is first. Beers are second, and fish are icing on the cake. Btw, I got my info from NOAA.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Updated Fish Reort:

Left the landing around 9 pm. We had a few stragglers as everyone was on board besides 2 at 8 pm. We wanted to get a early start at night for the Seabass at Clemente. Didnt turn out that way so it was a 9 pm departure instead.

We head off to Nachos bait receiver to get dines and small mackies. Perfect size bait up here also. On the past 5 trips I’ve done this year. That’s one problem I haven’t seen so far. Is small bait, or beat up bait. Seems like our bait supply from San Diego to Long Beach has all been healthy sized dines with mini Mack’s mixed with them. That’s a good sign for when the season finally gets started.

We fill up the tanks with 3/4 dines and mini Mack’s then head to Catalina to make some squid. Left one section of the tank for live squid. On the way out. Joe the owner is running the grill. On the menu for Friday night was tri tip sandwiches. This is one of the few owners who will open the grill for you on the night of departure. Really appreciated that. As a lot of us weren’t able to snag dinner on the way to the landing. Great business practice in my opinion.

We get to Catalina and start making squid. Dropped the lights in the water and we begin jigging. It wasnt very lucrative for us. Think we only made about 35 pieces or so. So we head to Clemente after an hour or two.

Ended up at the back side of Clemente around 4:30 in the morning. Sun starts coming up and we’re getting ready to anchor. Prolly about 50 yards away from the island in 140 feet of water. Birds working. And we thought it would be game on. Well it wasn’t. First time in many trips I’ve done at Clemente. Where not even Calicos we’re eating or Atleast mackerel.

Really weird morning. We worked that backside of Clemente from 4:30 in the morning all the way till around 11 am jumping from spot to spot. Weirdest fishing conditions I’ve seen in awhile. We had current, great weather, water 57 to 60 degrees around the island. And NOT ONE SEAL! The entire overnight trip we didn’t see one seal. If the seals aren’t at these spots then it has to be dead. Think we only got 2 sheepshead the entire morning.

Finally Ray comes on the loud speaker, and says alright guys we gave this inshore stuff a solid college try nothing wants to cooperate here we’re heading to another part of the island.

About a 45 minute drive we arrive next to that little Baghdad area of the island. Seems like a lot more life in this area. And we begin rockfishing. Everyone’s loading up on the usual species. Chuckleheads, nice red snappers, and chilipeppers. Very few salmon groupers. This variety of good eating rockfish that we mostly want to target is what we got.

Called the trip around 3 or 4 and begin making our way home. Crossing the channel was lovely going home. Don’t think we saw any bad weather past 12 knots. Very fishable and sunny most of the day. Hats off to Ray and Joe for taking us inside to see what we could find. Someone had to do it. The Freedom and Thunderbird were outside off the island just fishing rockfish for their entire trip. If we were going to get bit on Seabass or yellows it would have been all to our selves.

Anyways great trip, great food, Captain didn’t give up after one spot not show casing. He put in an entire morning of it which we all respected.

I ended the trip with a few chuckleheads, a couple Johnny bass and 2 pound red snapper. Just need to wait for that water to warm up. And that island should go back to its normal spring/summer activity.

2B94BF24-498B-4D10-BB82-07F49F383353.jpeg

Last edited:

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Props to the them someone has to do it is correct hoping thing will start to warm up thats all we need is warm water and the rest will come together great report thank you!

Reactions: Ducksnpucks

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Updated Fish Reort:

... On the way out. Joe the owner is running the grill. On the menu for Friday night was tri tip sandwiches. This is one of the few owners who will open the grill for you on the night of departure. Really appreciated that. As a lot of us weren’t able to snag dinner on the way to the landing. Great business practice in my opinion.
    Thanks for the report!

John used to cook up the breakfast bacon on the way out... the aroma of sizzling pork was guaranteed to sell a round of burgers!

(Damn, it's been 12 years since I fished the Toro.)

Reactions: gettingbentwithbo
    Upvote 0

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Thanks for the report!

John used to cook up the breakfast bacon on the way out... the aroma of sizzling pork was guaranteed to sell a round of burgers!

(Damn, it's been 12 years since I fished the Toro.)

Talking about Johnny? The second captain? Yah he’s still on the boat. And he still has his jokes 😂 funniest captain in the fleet imo

Reactions: jiggermyster

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Talking about Johnny? The second captain? Yah he’s still on the boat. And he still has his jokes 😂 funniest captain in the fleet imo
    Different John, John Follmer.
    Ran the Toro galley for many years.
    It was Ray's boat but it was John's galley.

Melanoma took him back in '05.

Upvote 0